Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Transparent Floor Tile Set

by RGiles Posted 24th Dec 2004 at 1:08 PM - Updated 15th Mar 2007 at 9:55 PM by MTS2Staff

174 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 153 Feedback Posts, 20 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 7
Field Researcher
#26 Old 25th Dec 2004 at 11:27 PM
I must have missed this Thread somewhere...Shame on me. Thanks for the hard work RG, I love you man. :p
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#27 Old 25th Dec 2004 at 11:33 PM
Kewl RG. As for the shadows issue. The shadows are part of the objects I am sure - not sure how you can get around that one! Giving these a burl today. I have been so busy with my brothers family visiting and the whole xmas thing I haven't even MADE one wall or floor yet.

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#28 Old 25th Dec 2004 at 11:45 PM
Yeah, in each object's geometry node(s) there is are links to the shadow map for the shadow that will be cast by that object. I don't believe there's any way to say a given object won't recieve a shadow, only that it won't cast one. But... I may be wrong. Makes me want to go back and check whether objects cast shadows onto window panes. I can't remember.
Test Subject
#29 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 12:32 AM
Thanks RG, you are the bomb

I just built a house with two stairs that merge with a first floor landing and it looks a little bizarre now. Your tiles will help so much!!

Deb

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
#30 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 12:44 AM
thank you for this rgiles this will be one of the most used objects in my game!!!
Original Poster
#31 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 12:53 AM
I can't believe I never noticed this before, but objects do not cast shadows onto walls or other objects. Only walls cast shadows onto objects. How strange!

I still think it's impossible, though, to turn off casting or recieving shadows on an individual floor tile. We'd have to alter the one original floor tile object, and then the changes would apply to all floor tiles, which we wouldn't like. But of course maybe not. Maybe someone here will find a way around it.
Test Subject
#32 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 6:09 AM
I like the flooring it makes me able to see what my other sims are doing even when I'm on the top floor.
Test Subject
#33 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 7:44 AM
Oh, these are useful indeed.

The main usefulness of a transparent floor tile is that you can watch what's happening on lower floors while the upper is displayed.

But in addition, invisible balconies can be good because they allow the gardener to water plants that are in niches on the second floor :-) -- in other words, they make certain decorative oddities playable.

There are also possibilities like making a "house" out of separate towers with invisible bridges between. Bridges, too. I've seen a sims2 architectural tutorial for a bridge; xparent fllors are so nifty for bridges!

If you can't solve the shadow problem, don't worry too much. Some of us have inferior gfix cards and can't see shadoes wanyway!
Original Poster
#34 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 8:05 AM
I never even thought of the idea of being able to see through levels. That's cool. I was thinking of stuff like using that constrainFloorElevation cheat to make glass rooves, skylights and hopefully a greenhouse. Also stuff like floors for blacony levels of dance clubs or other modern designs.

Which reminds me that I want to look at the code in that pool flooring to see how they made the texture animate. Could probably get cool club effects out of that as well, and maybe grass that appears to wave just slightly in the wind... just maybe.
Test Subject
#35 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 8:25 AM
now all I need is glass walls and a few stones. I really have found these useful there are many other reasons out there I'm sure. is there any way to delete a pool, for some reason it won't let me (I've tried the pool icons, the terrain leveler, grass tool, water tool, flooring and such but no luck).
Test Subject
#36 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 2:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Itamu
is there any way to delete a pool, for some reason it won't let me (I've tried the pool icons, the terrain leveler, grass tool, water tool, flooring and such but no luck).

Select the "pool tool", select an outer courner of the pool, click and hold the control key at the same time you drag the pool away. Make sense?

Deb

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 3:44 PM Last edited by Sim2Kid405 : 26th Dec 2004 at 4:17 PM.
I love your work keep up the good work.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 7:26 PM
I just now found this thread so there is not much to say that has not already been said. So Dank, Merci, Danke, Ευχαριστίες, Grazie, ありがとう, 감사, Obrigado, Спасибо, Grazias, tack, and like everyone else, thanks

Fido
Original Poster
#39 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 8:32 PM Last edited by RGiles : 27th Dec 2004 at 1:37 PM.
LOL, fido. Not only is that more languages than I can say thanks in, it's more than my computer has the character sets to display. :D
Test Subject
#40 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 12:53 PM
Default Other steps for deleting pool
Quote: Originally posted by Itamu
is there any way to delete a pool, for some reason it won't let me (I've tried the pool icons, the terrain leveler, grass tool, water tool, flooring and such but no luck).

Before attempting to delete with CTRL key, first, all objects need to be removed the pool (ladders , board, lights), and make sure ground level objects are moved a few tiles away including trees, flowers, tables, chairs. Hope this helps.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 1:12 PM
WoW! These are fantastic! I need these in my game, I have wanted these forever! rushing to download!
Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou,
Hugs
Annie -x-
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 4:53 PM
I'm adding my name to the list of those thanking you for your hard work on this and other projects at MTS2. Looking forward to whatever else you can do to make an enyoyable game even better.

Thank You RG.
Field Researcher
#43 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 12:17 PM
Alright RGiles, I have been waiting for someone to make this.
I loved the transparent tiles in sims 1, I am sure I will love these to.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 3rd Jan 2005 at 7:58 PM
cool thank you
Test Subject
#45 Old 5th Jan 2005 at 12:28 AM
RGiles:

I've been hoping you'll make these.

Great job. THANKS. This will probably be the tile I'll use most.

Hope you lick the problems with the transparent walls!

Thanks again!
Field Researcher
#46 Old 5th Jan 2005 at 11:20 AM
These where my favorite from The Sims 1 game , good to see them again in the sims2 game again!. thx :thumb:
Test Subject
#47 Old 5th Jan 2005 at 2:10 PM
WOW!!! How did you do that??? :argh: :argh: :jaw: :jaw:

My January promises are more
Than words softly spoken
Test Subject
#48 Old 6th Jan 2005 at 1:08 PM
hmmm
awesome
but how did you do it? is it twinkling with some horrible code or is it doing sometyhing in Photoshop...? (im not sure but BMP's cant accept transparency...?)
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 12:02 PM
Very nice, love it. It would be nice also if the water reflected images like the mirrors
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 8th Jan 2005 at 12:26 PM
Wow, they're great! Is it possible to make some transparent walls?
Page 2 of 7