Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 11:04 PM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Feb 2014 at 10:12 PM.
Default Build a City (My, completely different version)
***Okay, first of all, these are basicly steps to making your own city, not the Build a city challenge. I made it to help users to make their very own town and to challenge themselves. I am just clarifying myself here, so read on.***
Welcome all, and this is My variation of the Build a City challenge.
Here's what we start with:
Clean templates
Anything Pescado recomends for using clean templates (below)
+Any CC you choose. (I would use defaults if you want something unique.)
Let's get started:
So I was interested in the build a city challenge, but all of the writing was giving me a headache (no fun). Granted, this has a lot of writing to it, But my hope is to bring the level down + make it easier and more fun, catering to the four major types a players (Builders,Game-players,Story-tellers and Sim-makers).
Okay to start with, make sure your clean templates are installed correctly. Now, I don't know too much about clean templates and cleaning out your neiborhood, so use pescado's tutorial Here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,5861.0.html
Get Clean templates here:
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,4306.0.html
In pescado's tutorial, follow step 1 and 2.
Make 1 lot called whatever you please. Make it small and afordable.
Make a set of eight female adult sims in CAS. Don't slop through it. Give them different personalities and looks. Move them onto the lot, and make them all townies using the simblender or whatever other methods you have. Repeat 2 more times. Make sure not to repeat personalities. Do the same with males.
At this point, you should have 24 male and 24 female adult townies in your Neiborhood. You can create more if you please, but this is the minimal number.
Now, make 1 adult and 7 female teens. Make sure they're all females. Move them into the lot and make them townies. Repeat,
and again, give them varying looks and personalities. Do the same with males. And repeat for children, males and females.
At this point you should have 26 female adult towinies, 14 teen female townies, 14 kid female townies, and the same numbers for males. Now we make the elders.
Make at least 12 elders, but the amount is truly up to you. Make sure the genders have even numbers. Make them townies, and your done making townies.
Now, onto a part that will Cater to the: Builders!
This is the part where you actually *build a city*.
Now, your job is to make public places.
Heres what I recomend you make:
Supermarket
Library
Mall
Nightclub/Bar
Coffee Shop (depending on what you want, may require AL)
Diner
Restraunt
Gym
Movie Theatre
Art Gallery
Park
Cemetary
OFB users:
Bakery
Botique
Floral Shop
BV users:
Spa
_______
If you don't want to build a buttload of buildings, download some premade ones and stick them into your 'hoods so they look nice. Same goes for housing
There is alot of public places to build so you may want to combine them into one building.
Make sure there's room for some housing when your done, because that's what your working on next!
The first on being the REALLY RICH people, or the mansions. Make these elaborate, with pools, home theatres, the works.
-------
Next, we make the rich people who have nice houses, but they aren't REALLY RICH. These houses are nicely decorated, with hot tubs, big screen TV's, all the nice stuff that we wish we had.
-------
Now, we make the middle class people, or the Nice Neighborhoods.
These houses range from medium to small, but nice enough to hold couples, expecting couples, and families. Make these decorated nicely but not too expensively and so on and so forth.
--------
Then make the lower class district, which have houses ranging from small to cramped. Make these sparsely decorated, with only a few that can barely host families more than three.
--------
Bonus Districts:
Trailer Parks
Outskirts/country
Cross between middle class and lower class
This part that we're starting on is catering to sim making/story telling. Make families, and distribute them throughout your neighborhood. Leave a few houses open for other sims born in game. The sims you put in your 'hood re your founders. Give them the desired amount of money using family funds, and create/ playout a story over a few generations. Make different situations, etc. etc., just make sure each bloodline keeps on going. If you want you can make a bloodline die out. Just make a plot for your 4th or 5th generation. Make sure the households are evenly played, if you have seasons, play each 1 season on a cycle, if you don't have seasons, play each household 4 days on a cycle. Once you reach the 4th or 5th generation, bring things to a halt. If you are playing the challenge, you should have a fully functional neighborhood. With a plot and everything. Now, make a few new families to move into town. See how it plays out.

Think about it
My Journal/Legacy
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 8:37 PM
Ahh! This is great! Thank you so much. This is about a BAZILLION times less complicated then the original Build a City Challenge. I'm definitely gonna try this out sometime. Thank you!
Scholar
#3 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 8:46 PM
I definetely agree! I really wanted to do the regular BACC but got a headache from trying to read all of it. I do plan on doing this, maybe next weekend when I have some more time!

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Inventor
#4 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 2:53 PM
I've started this, I'm going to have all the residential houses in the main hood but the community lots (except for the cemetery, that sits next to the old folk home XD) in a separate shopping district.

Houses
Very High Class - 1
Upper Class - 8
Middle Class - 8
Lower Class - 8
Trailers - 6
Apartments
Upper Class - 1 Lot = 4 Apartments
Middle Class - 4 Lots = 16 Apartments
Lower Class - 6 Lots = 24 Apartments

Community Lots (The places in Bold are what I have so far)
Supermarket
Library
Mall
Nightclub/Bar
Coffee Shop
Diner
Restaurant
Gym
Movie Theatre
Art Gallery
Park
Cemetery
Bakery
Botique
Floral Shop
Spa
Test Subject
#5 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 9:04 PM
With my "Build a City"-esque neighborhoods, I often tally the value of each inhabited lot at the end of each round of play to determine the overall valuation of the neighborhood, and then subtract the last round's total from it to see how many much extra simoleans I have to spend on new community lots, apartments, etc. for the neighborhood. For example, let's say I started with four inhabited lots with $20K each. That is an initial valuation of $80K. At the end of my first round of play let's say these lots now have a total valuation of $86K; that gives me $6K to spend to build or renovate community lots in that neighborhood. Any funds that are not spent this round are banked and can be used in the future.

The end result is that you only have to calculate total family values for a neighborhood periodically, and the neighborhood infrastructure will grow organically as the population's wealth increases. You can start with a total cost of community lots equal to the initial families' cash, but it will take time to get a lot of nicer lots available for your Sims to visit.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Oct 2010 at 8:37 PM
thanks for trying my challenge guys, keep on posting!

Think about it
My Journal/Legacy
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 19th Oct 2010 at 10:55 PM
Very interesting challenge. If I get some more free time by myself, I'll try this.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th Oct 2010 at 10:20 AM
I was planning on building a city anyways so this will be interesting..
Looking forward to the challenge.. I'll post updates as it goes along.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Oct 2010 at 12:36 AM
I'm looking forward to your updates

Think about it
My Journal/Legacy
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 4th Jul 2014 at 10:36 PM
i love this! I am doing this *goes off to download sim blender and start game up*