Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 7:22 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 6th Feb 2014 at 9:57 PM.
Default The Mafia (A Prosperity Challenge Spinoff)
The Mafia
A Prosperity Challenge Spinoff

INTRO.

After a life of small-time jobs and petty thefts, you’ve been accepted into one of America’s most famous criminal organizations. Now it’s up to you to carry out orders, earn respect, rise through the ranks, and make New York City your own. Play your cards right and you could even be running everything as the next and most powerful Don.

Welcome to The Mafia, a legacy based on family, money, power, and respect. The design of this challenge is to create a prosperous yet deadly neighborhood controlled by The Five Families, who are all competing for domination of New York.

SET UP.

To begin, create a new, empty neighborhood and name it New York, or whatever else you wish. You will automatically start the game with five male founders, each respresenting one of the The Five Families, which are major Italian-American Mafia families that have dominated organized crime in NYC since the 1930s. Each founder must have one of the following last names:

Genovese
Gambino
Lucchese
Colombo
Bonnano

Once your families are determined, place their names on a list in the order they were created. You will play their houses in this order.

The founders may move into any home or size lot you choose. They may be moved around throughout the game if they outgrow their current lodging, however they are encouraged to remain and expand.

You must play each family for the same amount of time, maximum of 7 sim days. The amount of time is up to you. Due to time constraints or attention span, you may decide that 3 or 4 days are easier. Whatever you decide, you must play each family for that length. When you return to #1 on your playlist, you may change the time amount.

Also, the founder must start the game alone.

MADE MAN.

A made man, also known as a wiseguy, made guy, goodfella, man of honor, or Mafioso, is someone who has been officially inducted into the Sicilian Mafia (Cosa Nostra).

Membership in Cosa Nostra is open only to men. That means no girl heirs.

A candidate cannot be a relative or have any close links with a lawman. A wiseguy will not call the police when he is a victim of a crime. He is expected to take care of the problem himself. To do otherwise would undermine his reputation as a capable protector of others and his enemies may see him as weak and vulnerable. That means no burgular alarm, no fire alarm, and no calling the police whatsoever.

Membership and rank in the Mafia are strictly hereditary. Mobsters frequently bring their sons into the trade because they have an easier time adjusting to the Mafia life -- the son bears his father's seal of approval and is familiar with the traditions and requirements of Cosa Nostra. That means every male born into the family MUST take on the life of crime. Also, only males born into that particular family will be eligible to be a made man in that family.

There is no strict age limit: boys as young as sixteen have been initiated. As soon as a male in the family turns into a teenager, he can go through the iniation process to be brought into the Mob:

INITITATION.

Before being inducted, a potential made man is required to carry out a contract killing; committing one's first killing is referred to as "making your bones."

Prospective mafioso are carefully tested for obedience, discretion, ruthlessness and skill at spying. Any potentional made man will be required to commit a murder as his iniation process in the Mafia, which means that before you can enter the Criminal career track, you must "whack off" a member of an opposite family. The act of murder is to prove his sincerity (he is not an undercover policeman) and to bind him into silence (he cannot break the code of silence without facing murder charges himself).

* Your Founder is not included in this initiation process.

See MURDER for more information.

CHAIN OF COMMAND.

Soldato

A Soldato (Italian for Soldier) is the lowest level of the formal Mafia hierarchy. In order to become a soldier, the primary requisite is to become a made man, as discussed above.

Once inducted into the Mafia, a soldier is now part of a crew, a collection of soldiers working under a Caporegime (also known as Captain or Capo). The Captain will always be your Heirs/Founder while the soldiers are his sons (see HEIR)

A soldier's main responsibility is to earn money and kick a portion of his profits up to his Capo. They also serve as muscle of their crime family, committing acts of intimidation, threats, violence and murder. A soldier is obliged to obey orders from his capo to commit murder for his crime family and as a made man, he is bound by the Mafia code of silence and must serve loyally for life.

A soldier will be given profitable rackets to run by his superiors, but for the most part they must also generate money on their own (see MONEY)

Caporegime

A Caporegime or Capodecina, usually shortened to just a Capo, is a high ranking made member of a crime family who heads a "crew" of soldiers and has major social status and influence in the organization. Sometimes a crew might specialize in certain areas like gambling, while other crews might be more involved in legitimate interests like restoring junk cars (see MONEY). A capo with an active crew that generates a lot of profits is always respected.

In technical terms, a Caporegime operates his own small family within the framework of a larger family. The number of caporegimes/crews depends on the size of a family (see HEIR)

Your Heir will be considered a Capo once he's had a son that has successfully turned into a made man.

Boss AKA The Don

Also known as the "capo famiglia" or "Capo Crimini", this is the highest level in the criminal organization. You must reach Criminal Mastermind (see CAREER) to be considered a Don.

A boss typically has absolute or near-absolute control over his subordinates, is greatly feared by his subordinates for his ruthlessness and willingness to take lives in order to exert his influence, and profits come from the criminal endeavors his organization engages in.

Some groups may only have as little as two ranks (a boss and his soldiers). Other groups have a more complex, structured organization with many ranks.

As the Don, you no longer have to worry about whacking off enemies or running businesses. That's what the Capos and Soldiers are for.

Also, there can only be one live Don in each family.

Associate

Also known as a "giovane d'onore" (man of honor), an associate is a person who is not a soldier in a crime family, but works for them and shares in the execution of and profits from the criminal enterprise. Members of the family who have not officially become made men would be considered Associates.

MURDER.

One of the main goals of this challenge is to whack off as many members of the opposite families as possible. Remember, in the mafia, your enemies come as friends and your murderers come with smiles. That means you must befriend all rivals before eventually killing them. A murder can take place on a residential or community lot. Also, females and children of the opposite families must ALWAYS be spared.

To kill a Soldier or Associate, you must atleast be friends, meaning each of the two Sims have a DAILY relationship of at least 50 towards the other.

To kill a Capo, you must be best friends, meaning each of the two Sims have a LIFETIME relationship of at least 50 toward the other.

You can download Paladin's usable Assault Rifle here which will surely kill any Sim it's used on. (Please inform me if you know of any other usable weapons for download)

Bosses are not as easy to whack. Since they're so powerful, you have to be Best Friends Forever and you can't kill them yourself. You must instead hire a hitman, which you can download here at the Booty under Miscellaneous Set.

DMA Sims: "Hitmen are NPCs included in new service for permanent erase of unwanted sim. Price for this service is § 50,000! When you order service (using phone/Service/Hitman Service), one of 4 hitmen (randomly chosen) will come to your house (or com. lot) and after short period targeted sim will be eliminated. Warning: you can't stop hitman after you confirm order."

Hitman Service is located in phone "Service" menu.

In the event that a Boss or Captain is killed, there must always be a family member, such as a son or brother, who will then take over the family.

CAREER.

Another goal in this challenge is to work your way up through the mob hierachy and reach the top of the Criminal career track. To become the Don, you must reach Level 10: Criminal Mastermind. Also, you must take ALL chance cards.

HEIR.

Double heirs are allowed, and actually preferred, since the more members you have in your family, the more successful you'll be in this challenge. Because girls born into the family aren't really useful, you can send them off to college or move them out as soon as possible to keep them away from the danger.

After males in the family reach adulthood, you can send of them off as well, even though it's recommended to keep them all on the same lot. That way, you'll be able to whack off more enemies and earn as much money as possible for your family.

I suggest you download this hack from Mod the Sims for larger households -- up to 50!

MONEY.

Taking over businesses and rackets is another major goal in this challenge, since it will generate more income for your family.

A racket is an illegal business, usually run as part of organized crime. This can range anywhere from clubs, bars, bakeries, restaurants, gyms, grocery stores, arcades, car dealerships, electronic stores, toy stores, clothing stores, etc. You can add a basement or extra room for all your illegal Mafia activities such as gambling and hustling, complete with Assault Rifles to murder enemies that you've lured in.

Since teens can run, manage and own their own stores, Captains are encouraged to transfer the deeds of their businesses to their Soldiers. You also have the option to transfer the deed to another family member when you feel you don't wish to run the store. Also, if the owner dies, it is automatically transferred to a heir.

Additionally, different crews must specialize in different areas. There are several extra ways for your crews to make money:

Painting
Selling novels
Adopting stray animals, then selling them
Hustling at pool
Gambling on the poker table
Going on Dream Dates, then selling the gifts
Restoring junk cars
Fishing
Gardening
Using the workbenches
Freestyling for tips
Etc.

I suggest you download this hack from Squinge that will allow you to hire family members for your businesses.

ENEMIES.

Making enemies is also very important in this challenge. The more enemies you have, the more powerful your family will be. Any Sim outside of the Five Families can be eligible as an Enemy. Since enemies don't have any ties to the Mafia, you cant whack them off, but instead you can attack them. Being involved in attacks will also increase your power.

POINTS.
+5 for every male born into the family.
+5 for every male that successfully becomes a made man (Soldier)
+5 for every Capo in the family.
+5 for every Don (Criminal Mastermind) in the family.
+5 for every Soldier murdered.
+5 for every Capo murdered.
+5 for every Don murdered.
+5 for every business owned by the family.
+5 for each home that has held a single family for 3 generations or more.
+5 for each generation reached (Max 10, your founder is generation 1)
+5 for each $100,000 in family net worth (Round your current net worth up)
+5 for every teen that reaches Level 3 (Pickpocket) in the Criminal career track.
+5 for every adult that reaches Level 6 (Bank Robber) in the Criminal career track.
+5 for every enemy made.
+5 for every attack.

Whichever family has the most points at the end of the challenge, they will officially be the most powerful family of New York.

ADDITIONAL RULES.

No University!

There are no cheats allowed. No boolprop. No money cheats. No hacked items that affect mood or game play. You are, however, allowed to use any custom clothing, skins, hair, etc.

From the moment you start the challenge, you are not allowed to add new CAS sims to the neighborhood. The families must progress through natural birth, death, move-in, or marriage. If a sim moves out, their household is added to the bottom of the playlist. If all sims die, leaving a house empty, scratch that name off the list. If a family simply changes houses, they may keep their normal space in the playlist.

Play the challenge until your 10th generation is born, or the family line dies out. When that occurs, tabulate your final score. The 10th generation child must be able to trace a solid bloodline back up to the founder.

Females in the family are not allowed to work! Their jobs are to cook, clean, and raise the kids.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 7:34 PM
I would love for somebody to test this challenge out!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 3:26 AM Last edited by moonlight_frog : 24th Apr 2011 at 4:38 AM.
I really like this challenge; the only thing is that there's already a Mafia Challenge for the Sims 2 (actually, probably more than just one).

I've never tried a Prosperity-type challenge, though, so this might be fun. Too bad I just suck at committing to a challenge.

Thanks for posting! Will try.

Update:

I have created the New York neighborhood, completely clean and empty, and will be testing now. Also, since I don't really feel like downloading the rifle or hitmen, I'll just boolprop them dead if I have to whack some sims. For the boss murders, I'll use the familyfunds cheat to detract 50,000 from the household each time.

Questions: What if the founder can't find a job in the Criminal track? Can he take a different one as a temp, or is he only allowed to take a job as a criminal? Also, does that apply to any family members?

Since I'm sure you won't answer this until later, I'll let the founders take other jobs until I can get them Crim. jobs; it turns out that Andy, my Genovese founder, wants to become a world-class ballet dancer. Poor Andy, he'll never accomplish that dream now. :p
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 6:29 AM
Okay, I've played through 2 of the 5 families, each for 3 days (Mon- Thurs AM). Both founders found a Crim. job within the first 2 days, so I guess it wasn't too much of a problem after all. It's been pretty easy to find enemies, so those are easy points to nab. Same with befriending just about anyone.

However, Andy Genovese got engaged to a Contessa Vampiress... I tried to prevent him from being bitten, but when I played the Gambino founder, both Andy and the Contessa found their way onto the lot. Resultantly, the vampire bit him, and without my knowing, he changed into a hideous creature of the night. D:

I'm probably going to change him back; otherwise, it'll get too hard to juggle his life of crime and his restricted lifestyle. On the bright side, the vampire brought in 50000 simoleons, so now he's rich and can start building his mafia empire. :P

The 2 founders have already befriended each other, and as soon as they have kids, I'm going to make Terry Gambino knock off Andy.

"In the event that a Boss or Captain is killed, there must always be a family member..." As I understand this, you cannot whack a Boss or Capo if he doesn't have any male relatives, so I'm guessing that I will have to wait until they have heirs before I can start knocking off sims. Also, if the Boss doesn't have a closely related male relative but has a distant relative who carries the same name, could that count as a potential family member head?

i.e. The Boss has no surviving sons, brothers, uncles, or first cousins, but he has a great-great grandson or something ridiculous like that.

Can you use the Elixir of Life and the other Aspiration rewards? How about the Career rewards? I have been using those Lifetime aspiration benefits that come with Freetime, though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Apr 2011 at 4:38 AM
Thank you for testing!

If your up for the challenge of a vampire mobster, go right ahead! It's your game

Elixir of Life Aspiration awards, and Career awards are allowed.

If the boss has NO surviving sons, brothers, etc. then yes, a great-grandson can be family head.

I would love for you to keep my updated!
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 1:29 AM
Awesome! Yeah, I definitely need to use the Aspiration awards, as my vampires keep nearly dying. DX

It's really annoying, because everytime I change back the Founder, his vampire wife keeps biting his neck when I'm not looking (this has happened 3x). I'm going to turn her into a normal sim once she has a kid, since I've heard that vampire sims' toddlers skill faster than normal babies.

By now, I've played through all of the families at least once, and it's been relatively tame. I tried to get all of the Founders to find wives, but only Andy Genovese (vampire man) and Jimmy Lucchese have been able to find wives within 2 turns. It's been really hard to find females. That's probably because I deleted all characters before I started the challenge, so the game's been slow in spawning marriageable females... So far, neither of those wives have conceived, and all of the females have either one bolt or no chemistry; one of the only 2-bolters I got was with an enemy (found out too late). Darn. DX

However, most of the Founders have at least a girlfriend/ potential wife, save for Danny Colombo, who doesn't even look like he belongs in a Mafia (he looks like a Slacker-type pretty boy, which makes sense because of his Pleasure Aspiration).

Also by now, all of the Founders have found a Criminal job... but Andy Genovese (vampire guy) got fired! He pathetically cried over it for the remainder of his 2nd turn; those chance cards are really tough, you know...

I wonder, can you marry with other Mafia families, and can you have illegitimate children? Also, if you are allowed to have kids out of wedlock, would those babies belong to the mother's mafia family because of her last name being passed onto the child?

Can girl offspring stay on the main lot and get jobs to help the family, or are they supposed to be moved out as soon as possible? If they're moved out, do you have to play their lot or can I forget about them?

Can you have a home business, and does that count as 5 points?

A suggestion: I think killing a Don should be worth a little more than 5 points, as they're the hardest to whack; murdering a Soldier should be worth less than a Capo, and Capos less than Dons.

Since I already have a vampire family, I might as well turn Jimmy Lucchese into a witch. I'll continue with the updates.