Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2022 at 7:09 PM
Default A suggestion that's probably been requested way too many times
It would be cool if this site had a notification bell which notifies you who replied to your post. I've just seen it a lot on different forums and I realized there isn't one on here yet.
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 17th Aug 2022 at 11:20 AM
@dnov Thanks for the suggestion. I don't actually go on many other forums (unless you count reddit :P) so I'm not familiar with the notification bell you mean.

A quick google suggests something like this: https://open.vanillaforums.com/disc...tification-bell (thats talking about an issue but contains screenshots) or this https://www.proboards.com/user-guide/notifications

MTS already has somewhat of a system like that in that we have the Mentions system but that only applies when people directly tag your name (ie @dnow ) and doesn't activate on reply. We also have the Subscribe feature which allows you to see the thread in your User CP and in Subscribed threads. However, that doesn't tell you individual replies.

I think it's a fine suggestion but (there is always a but...).... what about Quick Reply? So here on MTS you can either hit reply below a specific post or quick reply at the bottom of the page. If you reply to a specific post, then you go to a different page, can attach files, and do other more advanced options. So in that sense the system already "knows" you are replying to a specific post, but for Quick Reply it assumes that it's a reply to the original first post, even when (in context) it may not be.

So here's what I'm thinking:

1. Add a "Notification bell" like option for each specific thread for the thread starter only, and allow it to be turned on or off.
2. Quick Replies will always notify the thread starter
3. Add a "Notification bell" like option for other members, and allow it to be turned on and off, which specifically affects other peoples replies to that persons comments only
4. Individual posts that are replied to that are not the thread starter will notify the person who they are replying to.
5. Add an option to the User profile that allows you to turn off notifications system-wide for all threads that you make, and additionally a seperate option for all comments that you make too.

What I can then do is to change the "Mentions" system to instead be "Notifications" (I can just re-use the mentions code and add a flag if it's a post or not) and then have a small notifications menu popout (similar to the PMs one).

I think it's a good system as I always worry that people wont see replies to things.

Hope this all makes sense!

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Aug 2022 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
@dnov Thanks for the suggestion. I don't actually go on many other forums (unless you count reddit :P) so I'm not familiar with the notification bell you mean.

A quick google suggests something like this: https://open.vanillaforums.com/disc...tification-bell (thats talking about an issue but contains screenshots) or this https://www.proboards.com/user-guide/notifications

MTS already has somewhat of a system like that in that we have the Mentions system but that only applies when people directly tag your name (ie @dnow ) and doesn't activate on reply. We also have the Subscribe feature which allows you to see the thread in your User CP and in Subscribed threads. However, that doesn't tell you individual replies.

I think it's a fine suggestion but (there is always a but...).... what about Quick Reply? So here on MTS you can either hit reply below a specific post or quick reply at the bottom of the page. If you reply to a specific post, then you go to a different page, can attach files, and do other more advanced options. So in that sense the system already "knows" you are replying to a specific post, but for Quick Reply it assumes that it's a reply to the original first post, even when (in context) it may not be.

So here's what I'm thinking:

1. Add a "Notification bell" like option for each specific thread for the thread starter only, and allow it to be turned on or off.
2. Quick Replies will always notify the thread starter
3. Add a "Notification bell" like option for other members, and allow it to be turned on and off, which specifically affects other peoples replies to that persons comments only
4. Individual posts that are replied to that are not the thread starter will notify the person who they are replying to.
5. Add an option to the User profile that allows you to turn off notifications system-wide for all threads that you make, and additionally a seperate option for all comments that you make too.

What I can then do is to change the "Mentions" system to instead be "Notifications" (I can just re-use the mentions code and add a flag if it's a post or not) and then have a small notifications menu popout (similar to the PMs one).

I think it's a good system as I always worry that people wont see replies to things.

Hope this all makes sense!
That is pretty much what I'd like, thank you.