Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2022 at 5:46 PM
Default The new MTS download look
Caveat lector - I come from a long line of smart alecks, and my innocent musings are occasionally taken with offense, so... please accept that I'm not trying to be a jerk when I ask: can anyone explain the rationale behind the new MTS download look? It's certainly different than the old one, but I'm not sure what the point of it would be. It appears - on the surface - to have been designed with mobile devices in mind: the whole "swipe" interface thing. But people don't play Sims games on mobile, right? - at least, not ones that would use content packages from websites like this one. Is it even possible to download CC on a mobile device and transfer it somehow to a "desktop" one? I think not, and even if it were, what a pain in the neck THAT would be! I can't even get my phone to bluetooth-share photos with my laptop.

Or... is it just for the busy, on-the-go Simmer to be able to check out the latest schwack to download while they're, say, taking the el home from work in the afternoon? I'll admit to having done this once or twice myself, but all the same, I still had to look it up again when I got back to my simming computer. And yes, I know it says you can set the preferences so that it'll stay on the old style look, but... it really doesn't work, not after being logged out and signing back in. [I'm on a Mac, using Google Chrome, for those technically-minded among you who might need to know this for troubleshooting purposes.]

Off-topic, but in the same vein: my local public library has one of their catalog stations equipped with a touchscreen - a gigantic iPad by appearance - but it's set up on the table vertically, in "portrait" mode, as if it were a phone sitting in the palm of a hand. Forget for a moment that they never took it down during the height of the pandemic... The human field of vision is horizontal, because that's how our eyes are situated on our faces. If it's not really a hand-held device (believe me - Andre the Giant would need two hands for this one)... then what's the point of the vertical alignment? "It's a touchscreen, and people who swipe touchscreens wouldn't easily adapt to a horizontal setup"?? Snivelry. Why not post a QR code link to the library's online catalog, for folks to peruse on their actual phones, as they make their way through the stacks?

Ah well - things that make you go "hmmmmm..."