Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th May 2022 at 1:55 AM
Default Changing Skill Gain
I am editing a skilling object by BlueHeavenSims. It is supposed to skill Logic and Cleaning. The description says +Mech, but it actually gave Logic for both of the menu options.

I have fixed the actual skill gain (by pottering about, with maybe half a clue). It now does Cleaning and Logic points. Hooray! However, the skill-gain dialog shows only the Logic text. How do I point the second ("Diagnose Condition") menu option at the correct dialog?

Attaching an image of what I think is the relevant screen from SimPE, and the current version of the object. Note that I have already messed about with autonomy and advertising, and tweaked the fun/hygiene effects as well.

Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  MFS4-Modular-Sickbay-SurgicalMonitor-Scrolling-MASTER-AEedits-WrongDialog.7z (40.4 KB, 4 downloads)

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd May 2022 at 9:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
To change the dialog, look at the STR Dialog prim string set.

I think I haven't been clear enough.
I did look at the dialog prim set. The correct message is there, it just isn't being presented in-game when the sim earns a skillpoint.

There are two possible skills, with separate dialogues, but only one dialog is being used for both skills.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 22nd May 2022 at 6:17 PM
Sorry, a bit daft when reading. The bhav for skill gain is pointing to the right lines in the str, but for some reason the line before is always passing only one value. I don't know where those are set, you could try pm'ing ocelotekatl (aka blueheavensims) on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 23rd May 2022 at 5:53 PM
Thank you for tagging me in. I made these is 2013-2014 and I have no idea what the hell I did with the original objects; MFS4 was sort of a proof of concept, and I've made tens of thousands of objects since then.

I don't really have anything to add that Lunie hasn't already said; to change the skill gain dialog, change the line of text that Line 0x06 points to.

I'm no longer active here. My latest creations can be found here:

https://blueheavensims.wordpress.com
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th May 2022 at 1:32 PM
I think you mean line 0x04?
Sounds like I either live with it, or mess about and see what I can break.
I noticed the more recent objects (Midnight series) don’t have two skills from one object. Perhaps this is why.

Forum Resident
#7 Old 24th May 2022 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
I think you mean line 0x04?
Sounds like I either live with it, or mess about and see what I can break.
I noticed the more recent objects (Midnight series) don’t have two skills from one object. Perhaps this is why.

No, I mean Line 0x06 (y'know, the thing I actually typed).

Line 0x04 is an if/then type thing. It's saying "If your Sim gains X Skill, pull the skill gain dialog from Line 0x05. If not, pull the dialog from Line 0x06". So this is definitely NOT the line you would edit. If memory serves I extracted the BHAV from one of SD's objects that was set up similarly.

The easiest way to fix it is to make sure that the lines in the dialog #STR notify that the correct skill has been gained, and that lines 0x05 and 0x06 point to the correct lines of the #STR. As the only way to even find the object is to download it from the "Unsupported" section of my blog, I've provided more than adequate troubleshooting for the issue and consider the matter closed.

I'm no longer active here. My latest creations can be found here:

https://blueheavensims.wordpress.com
Alchemist
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th May 2022 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jasonduskey
The easiest way to fix it is to make sure that the lines in the dialog #STR notify that the correct skill has been gained, and that lines 0x05 and 0x06 point to the correct lines of the #STR. As the only way to even find the object is to download it from the "Unsupported" section of my blog, I've provided more than adequate troubleshooting for the issue and consider the matter closed.

That's why I didn't contact you in the first place, considering 'unsupported' and all. Thank you for your input.
I will poke it some more and see what I can achieve. Thank you both.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th May 2022 at 1:58 AM
I think I figured it out! I found some chat about separating skill dialogues, and a screenshot from Numenor's computer. My BHAV now looks like this (see pic), and gives a different dialog for each skill.

Hope this may be of use to future people looking for such information.

I was thinking I'd have to abandon the idea because I couldn't find anything about it, and my modding skills are minimal. I don't understand BHAVs very well at all.
In the end, once I happened upon the right information, it was quite an easy change. Thanks to modders past and present, and the archives of ancient threads on MTS.
Screenshots