Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 8:22 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Help! Neighborhoods not showing up in game
Neighborhoods are not showing up in my game. I place in the neighborhoods folder and there are no two folders the same. I'm not sure if there's anything else that I can think of that I need to do?

TIA
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 9:13 PM
can you post a screenshot of what your folder looks like and where it is located?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 10:12 PM
Also, do you have all of the EPs and SPs that the neighbourhood was created with?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Aug 2021 at 11:53 PM
If they are in the correct place inside of the Documents>Sims 2>neighbourhood folder, try deleting the neighbourhood manager file, it's a loose file in there, it will regenerate.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 2:25 AM
Make sure you don't have double folders, like N001 folder then in side that have another folder called N001.
This can stop hoods from showing up.

Sometimes if you not sure how to use a program it can double up on the folders with the same name.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 9:15 AM
I have the Ultimate Collection, have deleted the neighborhood manager also.
The other packaged files that came with the neighborhood download include characters, storylines, lots and thumbnails-these are all in there also.
There are no duplicates in the files
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 11:15 AM
- Which folder did you place it in?
(I'm assuming it's a custom neighborhood, so either of these two is fine, depending on whether you have the UC or discs. Don't put it in the Program Files location!)
C:\Users\USER\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Neighborhoods
C:\Users\USER\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods

- Is the folder you're putting in there named something like N004 (a letter and then 3 numbers) and nothing else?

- Did you unzip the file? There should be no zipped files in there.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 4th Aug 2021 at 12:02 PM
Can you show us which neighbourhoods don't show up? Where did you download them from?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Aug 2021 at 1:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Can you show us which neighbourhoods don't show up? Where did you download them from?

This is both the location of where the files are placed, in addition to the Neighborhoods placed inside the file
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 9th Aug 2021 at 2:36 PM
Can you show me the full file path of that first image? All I can see is D:....EAGames\ Sims 2
What is the characters folder in the second image? Is that a neighbourhood called characters, or the characters folder from one of your neighbourhoods?
That last image is confusing- you have two different neighbourhood package files inside a neighbourhood folder, as well as SC4 files? Did you put them there like that? Did you merge neighbourhoods? This is what my Sinsan neighbourhood folder is supposed to look like:
Screenshots
Alchemist
#11 Old 9th Aug 2021 at 5:49 PM
Sounds like simsample is sorting you out about the mixed neighborhood files, but you are not supposed to have Lots folders or SC4 files in the Neighborhoods folder. What is the path of that last screenshot?

I want to add this general info in case it's needed for the OP or other readers. I've learned from people downloading my hoods that some Sims 2 configurations cannot recognize our hood names that use all letters, like MMRR and DAST, etc. Was new info for me, so that may be useful for someone to know.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 9th Aug 2021 at 6:57 PM
That's handy to know @Sunrader , I've not heard of that. Do you happen to know which configurations? Maybe earlier gameversions?
Alchemist
#13 Old 9th Aug 2021 at 11:04 PM
That's handy to know @Sunrader , I've not heard of that. Do you happen to know which configurations? Maybe earlier gameversions?

I assume earlier disc versions, but I don't remember. I'm asking to see if I can get more detail.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 12:02 AM Last edited by simsample : 12th Aug 2021 at 9:48 PM.
I know that SimPE (and some game tool programs) have trouble with names of more than four characters, but with SimPE you can just open the neighbourhood file directly, it just prevents the neighbourhood browser from seeing it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 2:24 AM
If you are on disks the path should be (for windows 7 at least)
Your drive. In your case and in my case that is drive D> My Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2. I don't see Documents in your file path.

The sims 2 has files in 2 places. The install files and the My Document files. Hood and downloads go in Documents.
Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Coconut Sugar
This is both the location of where the files are placed, in addition to the Neighborhoods placed inside the file

That 3rd pic is show several hoods in 1 folder and that will not work.
Each hood must have there own folder.
Screenshots

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Alchemist
#17 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 5:29 AM
I know that SimPE (and some game tool programs) need letters and numbers, but with SimPE you can just open the neighbourhood file directly, it just prevents the neighbourhood browser from seeing it.

Hm, I'm not sure I've noticed that. I must use open the Neighborhood.package more that I use the browser.
Theorist
#18 Old 10th Aug 2021 at 3:51 PM
Looks like you installed several custom neighborhoods and some new terrains completely the wrong way.

Your Neighborhoods folder should only contain folders such as N001, N002, N123, XYZW etc., one Tutorial folder, and the NeighborhoodManager file. This means: no Characters, Lots etc. folders here!

Each of the folders in the Neighborhoods folder (for example: N001) contains four folders: Characters, Lots, Storytelling and Thumbnails. Every file inside of N001 starts with a N001_ prefix. Except for pictures in the Storytelling folder. As soon as you have other files in there that don't begin with N001_, you can throw away the whole folder, as all of the neighborhood files in it aren't a properly formatted neighborhood. This means that all of those neighborhoods are corrupted and cannot be read properly by the game.

Terrains, on the other hand, do not go to the Neighborhoods folder. Terrains are the .SC4 files. They usually come as six separate files: for a terrain named Pleasantview, it comes with the following six files:
Pleasantview.sc4
Pleasantview.png
Pleasantview_lush.png
Pleasantview_desert.png
Pleasantview_dirt.png
Pleasantview_concrete.png.

All of those terrain files go to your EA Games\The Sims 2\SC4 Terrains folder. They do not go to any folder under Neighborhoods.

Honestly, I would recommend you started over completely by renaming your The Sims 2 folder to "The Sims 2 backup", as I doubt any of your neighborhoods are functional at this point.