Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Custom objects placeable on OFB displays and shelves *UPD 22APR*

by Numenor Posted 7th Mar 2006 at 9:29 PM - Updated 22nd Apr 2006 at 8:41 PM by Numenor : Included support for Windkeeper's "Placement on locked tiles" hack

322 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 315 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 11 of 13
Lab Assistant
#251 Old 6th May 2006 at 2:12 PM
hey numenor
thanks for another great mod. since we used both Windkeeper's blocked tile fix and your less version of the shelf hack we switched to your new combined "less" version. unfortunately it seems like now we sometimes can put the mailbox/trashcan and so on on the street and sometimes not. could there be a conflict between your mod and another one? or is it related to the ffs patch? (we have all expansions and the latest ffs patch)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#252 Old 6th May 2006 at 7:18 PM
No, both my "less" hack and Windkeeper's one, and also the "combined" version, are very simple hacks and are unlikely to conflict with anything. I personally have the FFS patched, and I had no problems.

Double check if, by chance, you still have multiple versions of the hacks: you can have *only one* hack at a time. if you use the combined version, you must remove any "single" versions (Less-only, More-only or TileFix-only).

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#253 Old 9th May 2006 at 9:10 PM
thanks for the quick response, numenor.
after a while of testing with both the "less" and the "more" version of your hack we found out that the "more" version works without a problem (the combined one of course). we will use that one for now then. don't know if you plan on checking into the "less" version again then or not.
Test Subject
#254 Old 11th May 2006 at 1:27 AM
Hi Numenor,

I'm using your "more" hack and I think I'm experiencing a similar problem to what Sunrise140 describes in post #250 but have a bit more info to add. I've noticed that custom objects placed on OFB shelves using your hack seem to revert to their original settings (i.e. not being allowed on OFB shelves) every time the game is restarted.

I stocked up my store shelves just fine after installing your hack, then the next time I played I tried to move a few items around only to discover that the game wouldn't let me place them on another shelf, not even back where the came from! (Which, of course, would later result in teleported stock signs if I continued to play.)

Initially I figured out that I could just delete the objects currently on the shelves and replace them with new ones reset from the catalog. I soon realized, however, that that process was WAY too tedious to be doing [i]every time[i/] I restarted my game, especially with a larger business. However, yesterday I discovered that I could achieve the same result by just using the eyedropper tool to copy one of each object then immediately delete the copy without placing it -- which still somehow resets the object(s) still on the shelves to the size designated by your hack. But... even that way is still quite tedious. Is there any way to keep the items currently on shelves from reverting to their original settings every time the game is restarted?
Test Subject
#255 Old 16th May 2006 at 4:22 PM
sweet! now i can sell more computers and stuff

The early brid gets the worm... but look what happens to the early worm!
Field Researcher
#256 Old 26th May 2006 at 8:58 AM
I know there is a way to chose which place on the shelf we want an object to sit; I read it in a post and now can't find it. Can anyone tell me what key(s) stroke to use?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#257 Old 26th May 2006 at 10:08 AM
Galxe - Thanks for your report, but my hack, in its current configuration, modifies the objects when you pick them from the catalog, or when they are created by the game during the restock.
Some (many) objects, once placed, just stay there and are not "reverted" by the game when loading; but other objects are affected by special "load" routines every time the game loads up. I can't do anything to fix that, because the "load" routines are defined on a "per object" basis, and I can only hack global routines.

But I don't understand why you have to change placement to the objects on sale so frequently: personally, I do that quite seldom (when the shelf is set up, it will go on working fine, even after a reload, if you don't move the items already placed on it).

Jron - Pick the object from the catalog and bring it on the shelf; before clicking the left mouse button (wich would snap the object on the shelf), press M on the keyboard until the object is in the desired position. Then left-click to snap the object.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#258 Old 26th Jun 2006 at 11:27 PM
Is it true that the latest Maxis patches fix the "locked tile" problem? I want to make sure before I revert to the regular-flavor "more" hack! ;-)

...I wonder what would happen if I kept using the "more + locked tile" hack after patching. Does anyone know?

Support a hungry coyfox (me!). Buy some wonderful flavored tea: Coy o'Teas

*10% goes to environmental causes*
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#259 Old 27th Jun 2006 at 1:06 AM
On the official site they say:
Quote: Originally posted by Maxis
Moveobject cheat can now be used to manipulate and place objects in out of bounds tiles.

I think we can trust them

But - before getting rid of the "locked tile" hack - please notice that the hack will let you place the objects over locked tiles without using the moveobjects cheat. That said, you choose whether you want to remove or keep it.

Lab Assistant
#260 Old 27th Jun 2006 at 4:07 AM
Ahh! Yes, a very good distinction. Thank you, Numenor.

...For everything ;-)

Support a hungry coyfox (me!). Buy some wonderful flavored tea: Coy o'Teas

*10% goes to environmental causes*
Field Researcher
#261 Old 28th Jun 2006 at 8:15 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!! You wonderful man!!!!!!

Can't. Stop. Downloading.!!!
Test Subject
#262 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 8:01 PM
This hack works great. In fact it works TOO great. Now the food freezer holds 6 items on top and 6 on the bottom and the plates overlap. The default is that the freezer can hold 2 items per shelf so I'm stuck between too many and too few. Filling the shelves and then removing some is sometimes difficult to select the right ones to remove and removing items from the freezer causes the spaces to look awkward to me. Can you make a version that places 4 items per shelf on the freezer?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#263 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 7:28 PM
No, it's not possible: the shelves (including the freezers) are capable to hold, alternatively, 1, 2 or 6 items. I can only use these values.

But I have a suggestion: when placing the items on the freezer, use the "M" key to select the slot you want the dish to snap into; this way, you should be able to leave empty the central slots.

Test Subject
#264 Old 14th Jul 2006 at 2:57 AM
You never cease to amaze me Numenor, This is amazing. Thanks!

Im megas3300 and I approve this message.
Test Subject
#265 Old 16th Jul 2006 at 10:48 AM
I noticed that when using this hack, my environment score stays at 0 for all my sims whenever there is a freezer holding any sort of objects including both maxis and custom made objects in the room they are in. I wasn't sure if this is only a problem for me, or if this hack is incompatible with other ones I have.

But I did enjoy this mod, though it screwed some of the custimers mood due to a 0 score in environment...
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#266 Old 17th Jul 2006 at 12:44 AM
Freezers? This hack should allow you to place custom object on shelves: putting custom non-food objects in a freezer I believe it's impossible without using cheats, and placing custom foods in a freezer should work even without this hack...

I'm not sure that your problem is related to this hack, but I will check nevertheless.

Test Subject
#267 Old 17th Jul 2006 at 5:17 AM
Well, I didn't try putting non-food objects in the freezers, just food related objects. Some of the foods were custom made, so I'm not sure if those particular foods caused the problem. Sorry for not being specific.

I didn't try shelves though since the only businesses I have run pertained to the foood industry... but I should probably check on shelves just to see.
Lab Assistant
#268 Old 2nd Aug 2006 at 9:55 PM
Thanks! This'll help me save money on shelves in my crumbling eletrics business.
Test Subject
#269 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 2:27 PM
Thanks a million - this hack is just what I have been looking for!!!

...........I love it!!! rawr!
Test Subject
#270 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 5:28 PM
It's nice to see someone that makes games mod that dosen't mess up your game!
Thanks!

~¤*^-^*¤~ : It wasn't a rock, it was a rock lobster!
Lab Assistant
#271 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 1:20 AM
Pets okay?

And Trogdor smote the Kerrak and all was in burnination......
Lab Assistant
#272 Old 21st Oct 2006 at 7:41 PM
I'm no modder by any stretch but this appears to cause errors in pets. It works fine for placing objects but with testingcheatsenabled there are many errors with the mod in (causing pets to reset and sink into the ground) and with this mod removed the errors/resetting stops (testing done with this as the only custom content in game). Hopefully someone more adept than I am can look into it and fix if necessary. Numenor, let me know if you need an error log.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#273 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 4:37 PM
I'm going to run my own tests, but yes, please, post here an error log, so I can compare it with mine.

Lab Assistant
#274 Old 22nd Oct 2006 at 11:18 PM
Here's the error log I'm getting consistently with this hack in game. After getting the error, I close without saving and go back to the same spot after removing the hack and do not have the error. Beyond that, it's all gobbleygook to me so I hope it's helpful to you. Thank you for looking into it!
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ObjectError_N003_t87110.rar (9.6 KB, 14 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#275 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 3:18 AM
Numenor, you are the modding GOD!! This works fantastically, and I can't thank you enough. :worship:

Valui ad satanam in computatrum meum invocandum

Simmer Romanus2 - My Yahoo! Group

Requests of Roman items taken. My NON-adult items are FREE to use, as long as they remain FREE! (NO PAY SITES!) I'd appreciate a link back, or a mention, but it's not needed. :D
Page 11 of 13