Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Custom objects placeable on OFB displays and shelves *UPD 22APR*

by Numenor Posted 7th Mar 2006 at 9:29 PM - Updated 22nd Apr 2006 at 8:41 PM by Numenor : Included support for Windkeeper's "Placement on locked tiles" hack

322 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 315 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 8 of 13
Lab Assistant
#176 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 4:36 PM
Hey I did download the more hack. I am going to download the less hack now I think It will be better. About it not deleting. You know that screen that comes up when you start the game where you enable or disable CC Well its still showing up in there after I deleted the file from my entire computer.
Lab Assistant
#177 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 6:43 PM
This may be just a game glitch, but I have a feeling it's a problem with this mod. I've been having this weird restocking problem after installing it. Sometimes when a sim restocks an item the cost for the item is taken away as usual, but the item they restocked isn't there. The little card with the X isnt even there. It doesnt happen every time they restock, but by the end of the day a whole wall of shelves will be empty.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#178 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 6:53 PM
Yes, idontnoWHOiam, this is exactly the problem we are discussing; we are trying to understand if it's related to my hack or to a bug in the game.

Thanks for reporting!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#179 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 10:37 PM
This has to be a Maxis bug. I do not have a cheat for OFB. I had a Sim start a home business. I had her restock and wondered why she was walking away from the business. She walked all the way across the street to the corner and there was a restock sign. I was confused as to what the heck was happening. I might have had some items for sell that were custom but only ones that sat on the shelfs without using a cheat.
Lab Assistant
#180 Old 12th Mar 2006 at 10:55 PM
One thing I've noticed is that the restock signs only move if you enter buy/build mode or leave the lot before you restock the item. I've noticed the bug even without using the move_objects on cheat, usually with robots.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#181 Old 13th Mar 2006 at 1:00 AM
Borntosim, can you tell me, as exactly as possible: what Maxis objects was selling your sim, what shelves the objects were placed onto, and if the problem occurred on Maxis objects, too, or just for custom objects.

Hackster, that's interesting: saving and reloading may be relevant for the issue to appear... And you are not the first to mention Robots restocking.

Thanks for the info

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#182 Old 13th Mar 2006 at 6:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Drakenred, FatedCircle: really you experienced this problem before installing my hack?! From one hand, I feel relieved, because it's not completely my fault, then (after all, the LESS version keeps the original Maxis settings!).

But this means that there is a bug that should be fixed as soon as possible, because we don't like having restock signs wandering free throughout our lots

Please confirm me: you have experienced the known problem putting on the shelves Maxis objects, right? Without my hack, custom objects just can't be placed on shelves...
I still dont have your mod on my laptop and I still get the wandering sign bug, but it doesnot seem to happen with Lynns copy of the game, So I almost wonder If I have a date coruption problem with my install on the laptop.
Field Researcher
#183 Old 13th Mar 2006 at 1:08 PM
Currently using Less version.
Noticed Custom Bender Doll restock sign appeared on shelf ,but disappeared once Restock Boy took notice of it. It was on the shelf for awhile. Landed in the street like everyone else. When does the restock sign disappear for you guys?
Has anybody found that restocking Manually avoids the appearing disappearing sign? Can it be a problem connected to the assigned automatic restock procedure?
Haven't played enough yet to say anymore.
Test Subject
#184 Old 13th Mar 2006 at 8:55 PM
I am having the same problem as this:

Originally Posted by Luthien
Came back to report 2 problems, 1) with custom items not appearing when you click on restock signs.

It seems that most of the things that needs to be restock is restocked but then there seems to be nothing there to even sell. Yet the restock sign is gone too. Also I even tried to place the same new item on the same spot that was restocked, but it won't even let me do that too. Do you have any ideas what's going on???
Inventor
#185 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 1:07 AM
I have only read some of this very long thread...

but just wanted to say that I do not have this file downloaded in my game. I noticed right from the first few days of OFB gameplay that my 'out of stock' signs were appearing across the road and in other odd places on my home business lots. I do think that maybe there could be a glitch in the game itself.

*♥.¸Here we go again .♥*
A Sinful Sim
retired moderator
#186 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 8:15 AM
"Known bug : when you install the "MORE" version, and in a lot already exist objects on a shelf, there are high chances that the restock sign is misplaced (it will appear at a corner of the lot), for those existing objects. This problem can be workarounded (before the object is sold!) by picking each existing object with the "hand" tool and putting it back on the shelf."

I am using the "More" version and the only reason I'm posting this is because you say it may happen if the lot/items on the lot already existed before the mod was installed. I installed the mod before I made my first business and am still having the problem. Just figured I'd let ya know just because I installed the mod before any business was built. Maybe someone else already mentioned it. Sorry, didn't read the entire thread.

Adult Downloads Can Be Found On MTS2's Adult Site!!!
Test Subject
#187 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 6:25 PM Last edited by jlkeal : 14th Mar 2006 at 7:06 PM.
I don't have the mod installed, and it happened to me, as well. There are two "out of stock" signs outside the Landgraab store in the corner of the lot and they seem to be criss-crossing each other (like using moveobjects on and placing an object inside another object). I tried to get rid of them, but could'nt figure out how. Thanks for the information, because I was getting tired of the customers always going to the corner of the lot (it's outside) and complaining about the "out of stock" signs.

ETA: My sim was selling those robotic machines that they make (including Servo). I can't be sure of which one, because she was selling all of them except the toy robots.

ETA AGAIN...LOL: The shelves were those cheaper plastic primary color ones.
Field Researcher
#188 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
No, there's no way to force the object to be placed in a particular spot of the shelf. The shelf have many "slots" (i.e. invisible points that "hold" the object); and the slots are numbered: the first slot that will be used is always the number one (usually, on top of multy-level shelves).
If you want to place your object in a specific spot, you have to fill the slots with small objects, until the next available slot is the one you want; and then remove the unwanted objects.

Actually there is a way to force the object to be placed in a particular spot on a shelf. While holding an object in the Hand Tool above a shelf or dispaly case, pressing the M key cycles the object through all of the case's/shelf's available slots. This is on page 96 of the Prima Guide.
Field Researcher
#189 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 7:28 PM
I have this problem with Maxis objects, namely Berry Pies (crafted) and Wedding Cakes (wholesale). I believe I have the "More" version, but when I downloaded there was only one version. My display shelves hold six objects each, so it must be the "More" version. I've downloaded the "Less" and will see how that goes.

I ended up with over a dozen spoiled, fly-infested Berry Pies and two Wedding cakes across the street from my bakery. The items were supposed to have been restocked into the Chiller (the refrigerated display), but when my Sim Restocked, the card disappeared, but no Pie or Cake took its place. Apparently, those are the goodies that ended up on the ground, across the street.

Thank you for posting instructions on how to get rid of those signs, though. I successfully removed the pies by moving them to an in-bounds area, then un-pricing them and having a Sim clean them up. I was at a loss for how to delete the signs, though ~ they disappear in Buy and Build modes, so there's nothing to "grab" and try to delete, or even move.
Lab Assistant
#190 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 9:16 PM
I apologize if this isn't the right place to be asking my question. It isn't about this mod, but is related. SimPE now has the shelf size scanner built in, for you to change the actual objects themselves. My question is, should I set the correct size for each object, or can I safely set them all to medium. I have close to 2000 custom objects in my game now, and to do each individually will take some time. I could then go in later and reset particular items to a different size if needed. What affect would it have to set medium when an object should be set small or big. I'm guessing it sets how many of a particular item can be placed on a shelf. Small would let you place many, Big would let you place 1. I also notice there is a setting for multitile, would this be items that are placeable on the floor only?
Test Subject
#191 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 7:57 AM
any chance you you could do a "very less" version (as i like half empty displays to, because of my lazy and slow workers) For a bigger shop i take half the time of creating with deleting files(but I truly Love your Mod)

To this strange bug, whereever it comes from: Very often when i selled something, the object disappears(custom content) and no restock-sign appears....well not where it should be, but in the left back edge of my lot(?!?)
If i restock them i get the experience but it costs nothing, and no new objects appear anyway....
Field Researcher
#192 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 9:50 AM
I really don´t think the bug is caused by your hack, as I, too, do not have your hack in my game and still had the wandering out of stock signs from the beginning.
I played without any costum content or hacks in the beginning and I thought the out of place sign did appear, when I sold the objects that were for sale in buy mode, when I didn´t want to sell them anymore, or if I just sold the empty shelves with the restock signs.
I haven´t used robots, sold only maxis objects and had them on shelfs and counters. I never used the moveObjects cheat to place them there. It happened always when I decided not to sell an object anymore and tried to get rid of it in any way.

Those signs appeared at the far end of the lot no matter if directed anyone to restock or not.
Instructor
#193 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 4:12 PM
Thanks! Im quite tired of selling maxis-stuff when there is so much beautiful items!
I actually found some misplaced restock-signs without having this hack installed, it seems it happens anyway, at least in my game.
(oh, I didnt read your post abel 1980). Well, then its absolutely not just the hack.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Field Researcher
#194 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 7:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Joan
Hi there, I also had this problem BEFORE I installed your hack. Mine was in the flower shop, with the maxis made plants, and I didn't have the move_objects cheat on. The plants ended up through the back wall, and on the path opposite. I just deleted the restock signs, but they kept reappearing. Personally I think it's a glitch.

Numenor
I also experienced this from the first day of playing the game with a flower shop. I didn't have any of my custom objects or hacks in my game when I installed, and I played the game without of any of them for the first couple of days/week, and it was happening from the get go. I definately think it is a Maxis bug and not related to the hack.
Test Subject
#195 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 8:00 PM
Thanks Numenor,it's just what i was thinking about. but i think it's better to let the bigger items to stand alone on the trays, and the smaller items to be place together in a tray.... because i found that the bigger items are too big to be placed together after i installed the more version, just like the clean bot, it's size is just fit on a single tray. i'm going to remove it and download the less version, but i'm afraid that the small items are too small to be place in a single tray.
Lab Assistant
#196 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 4:18 AM
I installed the More version first then I decided the shelves were too overcrowded for me so I switched to the Less version. Now all the shelving that I do with the food display is still on the More version. I've tried forcing error on the display case, I've tried JM's lot debugger object, I've deleted all my food, the shelves and bought new ones but still nothing. The only thing left I haven't tried is taking out this hack, restocking the food display case (hopefully it'd be the normal version), then putting the hack back in (because I do want to use my custom objects on shelves). But I wanted to check here first if there was something else I could do before I did all that.
It's almost making me want to use SimPe's new tool to change my custom objects and make them placeable on shelves. But I gotta think that's gonna take a lot of time. Besides I don't even know yet which objects get medium or large or small.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#197 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 9:04 AM
Qwigqwag - The "More" and "Less" hacks affect only the objects (not the shelves), in the moment they are cooked / bought from the catalog.
You have to delete all the existing objects (after having un-priced them). Once you have done it, shut down the game and remove the hack; then restart the game (now without any hack) and cook / buy again the objects. Don't use the one you have in your inventory, nor the ones taken out of the "crowded" shelf and put somewhere else in the lot (you should have deleted them).

I'm currently writing a small tutorial about the usage of the new SimPE tool.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#198 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 4:22 PM
Default Breaking News!
IF YOU WANT TO PLACE CUSTOM OBJECTS ON THE BUSINESS SHELVES, PLEASE
CONSIDER TO BATCH-FIX YOUR DOWNLOADS (FOLLOWING THIS TUTORIAL)
INSTEAD OF USING THESE HACKS

----------------------------------------------------------------------

KNOWN BUG: it has been reported by many users that sometimes - when a customer buys the item, or when your sims restock the shelves - the restock sign is misplaced (it will appear at a corner of the lot).
This happens more frequently if you use any of these hacks (the "More" version makes the bug occur more frequently than the "Less" version).
But the "restock sign misplacing" bug has been reported also by users that did NOT install these hacks. From the reports that I've collected, there is a Maxis bug that causes the restock signs to be "teleported" to a corner of your lot, especially if you:
  • place the objects using the move_objects cheat;
  • move or remove the restocks signs using the normal "hand" tool (you should use the "hand" only in Business Build Mode, i.e. selecting the "price tag" icon in the top-right panel);

If you have experienced this bug, read the method to get rid of misplaced restock signs in THIS POST.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

#199 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 11:31 PM
Personally... I do not think it is your hack ....I do not have your hack installed yet and I am getting these crazy misplaced OOS signs clear in the back 40.. This has been happening alot with the robotics my sims build... It did not do it the first couple of times I played it and now it is doing it more frequently... gets frustrating when you tell your sim to restock and the next thing you know you have to seek & find them...
Lab Assistant
#200 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 1:29 AM
Yeah, I figured it wasn't the shelves per se but the food plates. I think I will go with your suggestion and batch fix my objects now that you've posted instructions. Thank you very much! Now I know what small, medium, or big is.
Page 8 of 13