Replies: 453 (Who?), Viewed: 23378 times.
Page 13 of 19
Field Researcher
#301 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 6:04 AM
I remember Sim Guru Grant proudly saying they weren’t told what to do by EA, their creative control was theirs etc. I genuinely think in the case of wants and fears they probably didn’t have a lot of time but they didn’t have to half ass it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#302 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 11:11 AM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 28th Jul 2022 at 5:16 PM. Reason: Edited for add
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbear
I remember Sim Guru Grant proudly saying they weren’t told what to do by EA, their creative control was theirs etc. I genuinely think in the case of wants and fears they probably didn’t have a lot of time but they didn’t have to half ass it.

Lyndsay Pearson said something along those lines in her interview with James Turner that was done a few years ago. Considering top brass of EA takes marching orders from Wall Street overlords, I honestly don't know what to believe. I don't think this plan of theirs ( whatever it was) worked out the way they intended. I believe there was push from somewhere for them to release the furry pack, then a EP two weeks later with no kits in between. I wouldn't suggest that people read this that kits are gone, but I'm sure somebody is already spreading that rumor somewhere.

I don't completely blame Maxis for all of the fall out over Wants and Fears. They used those buzz words on purpose. People ran with it as Maxis knew they would. "It's going to be just like TS2!"

I don't keep count anymore of how many times somebody has said that a upcoming pack or whatever is going to be just like TS2; then the shizz hits the fan when it isn't. If somebody from Maxis wanted to give some push back about it in this case, they could. They [Maxis] could turn around and say something along lines "We told you during the stream it was going to be different.." which they did. At the end of the day though, they got what they wanted. They got a whole bunch of hype simply because they used two words.

People are going to learn from this or nah. It isn't as if somebody can explain that tempering expectations isn't a bad thing. If somebody suggests such a thing in the kindest way possible, they have proverbial flames shot at their head. They're a hater, evil, rotten, cousin of Spawn of Satan, how dare anybody speak of such things, yada, yada, yada. It isn't fun to watch, but the shizz has to hit the fan. We're 8 years in and people are still clinging to "It's gonna be just like TS2!" ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

People don't want to hear reason, so it is best to pull up a comfy chair with a drink and snack of choice and watch the wall behind the fan be turned into 'art'.

EDIT: Leaving this here...

https://twitter.com/SimGuruNick/sta...MCt9ceMyIsrAAAA
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#303 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 12:42 PM
If anyone uses CD Keys they have released the pack now. My friend now in the USA got it last night at midnight!
Mad Poster
#304 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 2:28 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 28th Jul 2022 at 3:11 PM.
Another day, another returning feature that comes back as a mere shell of what it once was. They actually fooled me for a second too. I was actually kinda hyped for the return of wants and fears when they first announced it...but then I realized, it's really only the return of fears. Because we already have wants. They were just changed to "whims". So all they really did was dumb down whims to remove all pack integration, and add a bunch of fears with no real consequences outside of a bad moodlet.

All this on top of the multiple other features this patch added that straight up break your game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
The thing is, while there are always exceptions to the rules (tall teens), from a purely gameplay perspective, it makes more sense to have shorter teens to visually distinguish them from adults.

^This^

Make them shorter and give them softer features to make them look younger. Every time I make a family in CAS, I have to actively try to make the teenagers look young. More often than not, I have to completely redo their faces to the point where they almost stop looking like their parents (TS4's genetics are a whole other can of worms). And then when they age up to adults, I gotta mess around their faces all over again to make them look older.

This high school packs gives teens more stuff to do that is uniquely their own, but from a visual standpoint, they're still just the Young Adult stage. This is almost just a second University pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspigglypooh
I am absolutely not surprised by all of this. It's the same "Rinse. Wash.Repeat" cycle we've seen since the beginning. It's like they never learn. They don't bother to play test and are surprised when things go haywire with an update. I also watched one of the previews of the new pack and its majority set dressing as always. The young lady reviewing the pack (I believe her name is Troi) mentioned a lot about none interactive buildings and while watching I noticed how empty the school was during class. You cannot have the school anywhere else (Queue in GTW careers) and your sim only does 2 classes. You just sit there in detention and to get detention you have to be mean to the principal (Or at least that's the way she was able to do it). But I'm not going to beat the dead horse. Y'all know where I'm going with this. It's just pathetic to see after 8 years they haven't given up on this charade. But I digress...

*I'll go crawl back under my rock now, carry on*

It's things like this that make me wish these devs would just like....take some time out to play TS2 for just a week. Just spend a week playing that game and examining all the depth, all the little things, all the gameplay elements that made that game so beloved. So they can understand why TS4 feels so lacking despite having WAY more content.

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#305 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 4:15 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 28th Jul 2022 at 4:27 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bag2

It's things like this that make me wish these devs would just like....take some time out to play TS2 for just a week. Just spend a week playing that game and examining all the depth, all the little things, all the gameplay elements that made that game so beloved. So they can understand why TS4 feels so lacking despite having WAY more content.

Why can't this flipped the other way? If people crave the TS2 experience so much, that's the game they should be playing. Period. There is no shortage of info on how to get TS2 to run on newer PCs, how to deal with the pink soup problem, ect... While there are a few people on the current Maxis team that worked on TS2, most of that crew have left. That ship has sailed, it isn't coming back.

I don't understand. It isn't because I don't want to understand, I just don't. Why do people continue to throw money at TS4 shenanigans? If people tell me that they like being treated this way, that's cool, but those are not the people I'm talking about. Like the used underwear thing, people couldn't pay me to buy into this foolishness:

https://twitter.com/onlyabidoang/st...479125264183296

I would either give the money back or donate it because there is no way I would give EA money for that amongst other things. Adults creeping on toddlers is a good place to start that list...
Field Researcher
#306 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 4:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bag2

To Maxis, TS2 is a dinosaur. They threw TS1, 2 and 3 in the trash bin when they created TS4, which is why TS4 is so different and has hardly any elements of the former games. TS2 was MEANT to be an improvement of TS1. TS3 was MEANT to be an improvement of TS2. TS4 was simply a "let's start again from scratch" project that has proven to be a stupid exercise in dumbness. To IMPROVE TS4, they really don't want to do a TS5. This time, they'd rather stretch it out with additions as long as possible. Eight years and counting. Can you imagine TS1 going on for 8 years?? (Or even 2 or 3) When they finally do put out TS5 - if ever - it won't be an improvement of TS4. It, again, will be a "start over" type thing.

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing until it gets there. - Josh Billings
Mad Poster
#307 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 6:29 PM
FYI: I couldn't understand why Maxis would publish a GP and a EP two weeks apart; I should have known the answer.

Quote:
Electronic Arts (EA) to Report Q1 Earnings: What's in Store?

Electronic Arts is set to report first-quarter fiscal 2023 results on Aug 2.

For first-quarter fiscal 2023, EA expects GAAP revenues between $1.675 billion and $1.725 billion and earnings of 75-85 cents per share.

For the quarter, the Zacks Consensus Estimate for earnings has remained unchanged at 28 cents per share in the past 30 days. The figure indicates a 53.9% decline from the year-ago quarter’s reported figure.

The consensus mark for revenues, pegged at $1.25 billion, suggests a 5.5% decrease from the year-ago quarter’s reported figure

https://www.zacks.com/stock/news/1959984/electronic-arts-ea-to-report-q1-earnings-whats-in-store?cid=CS-MKTWTCH-HL-analyst_blog|earnings_preview-1959984&mod=mw_quote_news

It is that time of the fiscal quarter. Wall Street overlords want to see what their money is being used for...
Mad Poster
#308 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 8:14 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 28th Jul 2022 at 8:57 PM.
EA is so weird. You know those useless but stylish cash register counters - specifically to hold a cash register - from Get To Work? Yeah, the thrift store station also counts as one, and is required for the thrift store.

I'll test the retail system to see if they're at ALL combined, but I assume it's a bit fat no lol

Semi-surprisingly, the bubble tea is on the restaurant menu, but I don't see a way to make it at home.

Edit: The counter does fuck all. So far, while testing, clothing racks count as a retail item and are in the retail items menu but Sims don't use them autonomously.

Edit II: The counter doesn't even work with the register...

Edit III: You cannot sell clothing racks, nor will Sims buy from it.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#309 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikosay
To Maxis, TS2 is a dinosaur. They threw TS1, 2 and 3 in the trash bin when they created TS4, which is why TS4 is so different and has hardly any elements of the former games. TS2 was MEANT to be an improvement of TS1. TS3 was MEANT to be an improvement of TS2. TS4 was simply a "let's start again from scratch" project that has proven to be a stupid exercise in dumbness. To IMPROVE TS4, they really don't want to do a TS5. This time, they'd rather stretch it out with additions as long as possible. Eight years and counting. Can you imagine TS1 going on for 8 years?? (Or even 2 or 3) When they finally do put out TS5 - if ever - it won't be an improvement of TS4. It, again, will be a "start over" type thing.

Well, EA treat those games like they're dinosaurs, but they really know they're objectively better.
Lab Assistant
#310 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 1:36 AM Last edited by BlademasterX2 : 29th Jul 2022 at 2:12 AM.
Well, I didn't play this for a year, don't even know that phone addiction is become a disaster now.

Lucky for them that they didn't bump into the pole, fall into a sewer hole, or be eaten alive by cars.

♒ Aquarius Sun, ♈ Aries Moon, ♈ Aries Rising

Sorry for my English :)
Mad Poster
#311 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 2:06 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 29th Jul 2022 at 5:36 AM.
Wow, the early-purchase gamer chair and light matched the in-pack gamer desk perfectly. May as well have pulled the matching desk, too.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#312 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 11:40 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say teens are shorter than adults but they do tend to have a more slender bone structure, less developed jawbones, thinner necks, narrower waists, smaller breasts and higher voices. So if EA have problems animating too many different heights, they can still make teens seem different.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#313 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 12:40 PM
Scholar
#314 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 1:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
I wouldn't necessarily say teens are shorter than adults but they do tend to have a more slender bone structure, less developed jawbones, thinner necks, narrower waists, smaller breasts and higher voices. So if EA have problems animating too many different heights, they can still make teens seem different.

I dunno about Higher voices, but looking at audio files they do have phrases they can only speak, as well as elders have theres too.
Field Researcher
#315 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 2:52 PM
I think Maxis outdone themselves with the mod busting this time with this HS update!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing until it gets there. - Josh Billings
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#316 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 7:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones

Nah. They rather opt to feature SimTok in the next pack that gets teen Sims hog on their phones more to be different Stop with these silly demands of having them to revamp the whole or introduce a new life state. You can give a maxis employee or two a Stroke if they read this //s

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#317 Old 30th Jul 2022 at 2:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikosay

I don't think starting over was exact problem. Hell, I can imagine the leap TS2 made from the isometric, non-3D different complete overall engine (which I believe after that rumored Office Fire they really switch to indepented engine to recreate TS2 Project in matter of seconds due to unexpected deadline) to a whole new game.
Focus on Olympus, money greed or improper management is what I believed led us to the game without swimmings pool and toddlers with maybe a gram of uncreativity (with no ground breaking features for Live Mode). Many controversies in PR and delivered final product reception is the source from poor resource management of things and I-forgot-the-other-as-a-lost-tract-of-the-train-thought (will edit in later) priorizitation of things regarding game development I think?

Mad Poster
#318 Old 30th Jul 2022 at 3:17 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 30th Jul 2022 at 7:09 PM. Reason: MOAR info

https://twitter.com/gabeisagecko/st...840684461346818

Image of tweet came from here https://youtu.be/k2z8DrQkMhw?t=124

At least one problem with all of this seems obvious to me, but everybody is free to draw their own conclusions.

EDIT: Just because I'm always on the look out for trends or patterns EA / Maxis likes to engage in sometimes...

https://youtu.be/iJf7j0huM7g?t=216

There were over 30 QA people for the furry pack. A expansion pack gets a QA team of 6, but a game pack gets 30-plus. Make it make sense, Maxis.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#319 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 3:25 PM
Perhaps, again, they mixed up what packs the two of the type must have? Wedding Stories to me sounds like a stuff pack wardant concept as its just a party type, High School a game pack (although could have been also a stuff pack if not for features outside of school being present).

Like it's not the first time they did. So hell... could have forgotten to reposition the people for correct number.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#320 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 3:51 PM
https://youtu.be/IyQNC7lW_EU

Not sure if anyone posted this (but I suspect Gargoyle Cat did), but I this sorta addressing reoccuring one of the problem of the game that is mood killer. Not only are the wants from other expansion packs and dragged in dirt, I feel like after I played the game in these two-three past days (reinstalled out of curiosity what has the so called Big updated brought and rly having not much else to play that wouldn't take lots of my tims) firing one particular save bring me back to realization that even the wants of the base game are very basic, superficial and don't really open the opportunity to seek exploring unfounded features, because the whims don't hit at them and the update hasn't change much. Also, my Sim only got two fears of being unfilled dream and smth about death end job, which in comparison to TS2 it seems more confusing how fears work and that Smarter Sims again lack number of slots like with traits but for fears. So variety lacks in it (or, that could be the fault of there not being enough consequences which is the other thing TS4 is infamous for). The game has some nice stuffs, but darn... it feels so incomplete at times and makes it not fun to get into and explore the stuff you have yet to discover or try out.

Instructor
#321 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 3:55 PM Last edited by Mspigglypooh : 31st Jul 2022 at 3:56 PM. Reason: Typos
The idea of this game being anything like its predecessors died a LONG time in my opinion. I think they knew what they were doing when they said wants and fears. They knew exactly what crowd they were trying to reel back in. I'll admit I was curious. Cautiously curious. I had a feeling it was going to be bullshit and well... if it walks and acts like a duck...

Its pathetic that they continue to play this little game with their choice of names and words. They know exactly what they're doing.

Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of devs that worked on TS2 left and I think people need to take a closer look at that. It was time to move on and they did. This game is not the sims 2 or 3 and it never will be. So simmers need to really understand that. So them using terms like wants and fears is a play on words to draw oldies like us back in.
Mad Poster
#322 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 4:29 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 31st Jul 2022 at 5:30 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Perhaps, again, they mixed up what packs the two of the type must have? Wedding Stories to me sounds like a stuff pack wardant concept as its just a party type, High School a game pack (although could have been also a stuff pack if not for features outside of school being present).

Like it's not the first time they did. So hell... could have forgotten to reposition the people for correct number.

I don't know. I'll admit that for the first and only time I'm a bit annoyed that I don't play TS4. My brain loves piecing stuff like this together and the only way to get a accurate 'view' of what is going on would be to own all the EPs, GPs, SPs then make a chart showing what they did and when. Sites like Metacritic lie. They claim that they post all the credits and junk for a game, but they don't. I've also checked on Steam. Unless I'm missing something, they don't have those kinds of game credits either. As annoyed as I am, I'm not giving EA money just to satisfy my own curiosity. I'm just going to have to continue to piecemeal info when and where I can find it.

My Wedding Stories numbers confirm to a point what happened with that pack. Lots of people that purchased My Wedding Stories knew the game play was completely broken as that was shown on the live stream, but many people didn't buy it for the game play. They bought it because they liked the CAS and "the world so pretty." When Maxis uses almost half of their budget for artwork alone, this is going to lend itself to people buying that pack for those reasons. This leads to more questions. How many other packs did Maxis dump a huge amount of money into art work which lead to people buying the pack for that reason?

When posting these kinds of observations, they come with a huge caveat. I'm not talking about the people who bought Wedding Stories and do not watch live streams, check, read or lurk on Maxis / The Sims social media, ect... I'm only referring to the people that were 'in the know' as it were.

The launch of this new pack has been a disaster. While numbers don't tell everything, clearly a lot problems were missed. Meanwhile, the furry pack isn't a favorite of everybody, but it was received much better than High School Years. There is room for coincidence here, but is it really a coincidence? Two packs with low QA numbers manages to piss off this community and a pack that has better QA numbers does okay? There is only one way to know which to watch what happens with the next couple of packs, but it doesn't feel like a coincidence.
Mad Poster
#323 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 5:17 PM
I get the feeling one of the producers said they can save about $10 if they repurpose old content to limit QA testers and someone above them believe it, but COMPLETELY forgot repurposed content still requires testing.

It’s blatant that My Wedding Stories took older content from Get To Work and Luxury Party stuff. It’s very likely My Wedding Stories was developed alongside High School Years and used a work in progress of proms to create weddings. They knew it was a mess, but could patch the system and they patched High School Years.

Horrible, lazy management.

Instructor
#324 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 7:34 PM
Quote:
The idea of this game being anything like its predecessors died a LONG time in my opinion. I think they knew what they were doing when they said wants and fears. They knew exactly what crowd they were trying to reel back in. I'll admit I was curious. Cautiously curious. I had a feeling it was going to be bullshit and well... if it walks and acts like a duck...

Its pathetic that they continue to play this little game with their choice of names and words. They know exactly what they're doing.

Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of devs that worked on TS2 left and I think people need to take a closer look at that. It was time to move on and they did. This game is not the sims 2 or 3 and it never will be. So simmers need to really understand that. So them using terms like wants and fears is a play on words to draw oldies like us back in.

Totally agree... They know what they're doing and they don't stop playing with people's feelings and their hopes that the game will really look like a life simulator again... It's pretty cruel.
Mad Poster
#325 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 12:28 AM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 1st Aug 2022 at 8:00 AM.
Quote:

I stumbled across a YT channel the other day called SatchOnSims. Typically I have YT recommendations shut off with a FireFox extension called "Unhook". I highly recommend it to anybody that wants to get all the YT junk off of their screen when watching videos, but that's a whole other thing.

I've been watching different videos from this person. He's one of those that claims TS3 is completely unplayable, whatever. Aside from that, one of the things he does talk about often is how people buy packs, then don't use them. He also talks about how people comment on his videos that they have a addiction to buying content. I'm taking his word for it as I steer clear of the comment section of YT videos but it is interesting as it is something that is never talked about. It's taboo to talk about how much money people spend on this game. If you talk about it, you certainly must be telling people how to spend their money.

My point for bringing this up is; I think there are many layers of problems that are going on, content-wise and beyond. I'm always complaining about loot boxes in the 'bad thread' for FIFA, but when I really think about it, EA content and the amount of money people spend for custom content for TS4 is much like people that buy loot boxes.

The Sims 4 Is A TOTAL MESS (And EA Should Be Embarrassed)

https://youtu.be/IyQNC7lW_EU?t=379
Page 13 of 19