Replies: 453 (Who?), Viewed: 23375 times.
Page 14 of 19
Mad Poster
#326 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 3:59 AM
I think TS4 has long worn out its welcome, and is really long-due for the next game in the series due to its accumulated issues.

The problem is that I think that they’re nowhere near ready to publicly show TS5, and so TS4 cannot die a merciful death, it simply must live on like a zombie until the TS5 trailer drops!

Personally, I think that there is a chance that either TS4 gets a total rehaul and reboot into simply a live service ‘The Sims’ game, like World of Warcraft, so that EA can continue making money off it forever- or that the next game will do so. The scope of these games mean that repeating the EP release loop is increasingly a question of sustainability- players already poke at the fact that Pets have been released four times in the franchise, and demand features like it as part of base gameplay.
Advertisement
Scholar
#327 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 4:11 AM
I am wondering if future players will be ok with a live service type Sims game. Maybe the ones that never played the older games. I expect quite a few won't be back for a fifth iteration of Sims published by EA.
It reminds me a bit of TV shows that completely wear out their welcome. They tend not to have much rewatch value.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#328 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 5:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000

Personally, I think that there is a chance that either TS4 gets a total rehaul and reboot into simply a live service ‘The Sims’ game, like World of Warcraft, so that EA can continue making money off it forever- or that the next game will do so.

Not gonna happen. Saying it will get rehaul is equivalent of saying TS4 will be fixed out of all of its problems in the remaining ongoing updates.

Those days are long gone with new developers and the running heads of the same management.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#329 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 12:43 PM
The following is part of the script from the Wall Street Overlord conference call that happened yesterday. They have these calls to discuss money things at the end of each quarter. I picked out the relevant bits.

Question:

Quote:
And then secondly, with regards to the Sims, I think you just had your first expansion pack in about a year, maybe talk about what's been going on there?

Andrew Wilson's answer:

Quote:
And for the Sims question, you mentioned, so we -- one of my favorite things about the Sims business is how healthy and strong it is.

We actually released game packs, content and expansion packs several a year. So we are persistently connected to our players in that community. And we are pretty excited about how strong and the size of this business after about 10 years. We've had the Sims 4 brand out.

So this is something that we persistently put content into the player community, and we'll continue to do that for the years to come.

Healthy and strong?

I'm sorry, several expansion packs a year? Did the entire community miss a whole bunch of EPs that nobody knows about?

TS4 may have been in development for 2 years prior to release, it will actually be 8 years Sept 2 that people have been throwing their money at this game.

When I say Andrew Wilson is completely out of touch with this game and community, I don't say it to be mean. He is completely out-of-touch. Investors have a better thumb of what is going on with this game than the dude that is being paid 19.9 million dollars to be CEO. I understand he can't possibly know everything, but he should at least know how long TS4 has been available to the public. If he can't figure it out on his own, he could speak, text, fax, or send smoke signals to somebody at and or from the Maxis studio.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...d=mw_quote_news
Scholar
#330 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 2:34 PM
I Wonder if anyone Evergreen Harbor region now looks like this.

This is Quims quarry:

Only noticed after today's patch, the Fake Houses are all gone, only playable lots are now seen.

Ok, Hardly game-breaking, and I think i'm actually starting to like it, you easily see all you rwalkbys, every bit of action all the fake houses onced blocked.
Field Researcher
#331 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 3:48 PM
I like it too

A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval. - Mark Twain
Scholar
#332 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 4:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikosay
I like it too

yeah any lot and tested on a clean save nothing but emptiness. Save looks unrepairable, but well it's only evergreen harbour and kind of makes sense, afterall it is an abandoning town.
Field Researcher
#333 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 4:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysim
I Wonder if anyone Evergreen Harbor region now looks like this.

This is Quims quarry:

Only noticed after today's patch, the Fake Houses are all gone, only playable lots are now seen.

Ok, Hardly game-breaking, and I think i'm actually starting to like it, you easily see all you rwalkbys, every bit of action all the fake houses onced blocked.

You just need to send a sim to each of the Evergreen Harbor neighborhoods to fix them.
Mad Poster
#334 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 11:04 PM
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#335 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 10:52 PM
Seems like Sims 4 Steam sale going on now: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=sims+4

Also posting details about Sims 4 patch that came out 8-2-2022:

Update 8/2/2022
Growing Pains

Bug Fixes

The Sims 4

Get Famous

High School Years

PC: 1.90.375.1020 / Mac: 1.90.375.1220

Console: 1.62

Hello Simmers!

We have a few additional fixes since our previous patch release. A big thank you to all you community members who helped us track down these issues and provided information through Answers HQ.

- The Sims Team

Bug Fixes

The Sims 4

Sims with a short or long Lifespan no longer become younger or age dramatically when leaving Create a Sim.
The “Ask to be Girlfriend/Boyfriend” Want now targets appropriate Sims.
Adult Sims no longer tag teens in flirtatious Social Bunny posts.
All available Sims now can be selected for travel even if they are currently not on the current lot.

Get Famous

Sims without Fame no longer occasionally appear to have it.

High School Years

Sims now can walk through the I Was a Teenage Garbage Artist pile of clutter.
Mad Poster
#336 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 12:53 AM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 5th Aug 2022 at 1:04 AM. Reason: You're exhausting, Maxis

https://twitter.com/insecuresimmer/...032596057112578

There is a wonderful man by the name of Aaron Nace who owns a company called Phlearn. He's not only a pro with Photoshop, but he also has the heart of a teacher. I've been using his tutorials for years.

Maxis is supposed to be a professional gaming studio, yet they can't seem to figure out that leaving seams while using brushes is not a cute look. Who is developing TS4? Interns? Whoever is doing this should give Aaron a visit on his YT channel. Many tutorials on there are free.

How to Use the Brush Tool in Photoshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJWPdicD1pI

Since I'm here, there is also a tutorial on how to make texture brushes so people don't look like somebody raged out with a Sharpie.

How to Make a Texture Brush in Photoshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6kdkjm7mQ

EDIT: I found a better video for hair. The tutorial is for facial hair, but the process is the same.

How to Create Facial Hair in Photoshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG784oxeQcQ
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#337 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 9:08 AM
So I saw a few reviews and videos and.. sigh. This is a theme I would've loved to see in the Sims 2 or 3. But it's The sims 4. Again, lots of game mechanics rehashed and nothing new and interesting. And I saw that you can't even form clubs on the High School , really? The most logical and useful feature.

Instead of focusing on the High Shool Experience and the school acitvities they really found a way to make this boring lol. They could've done so much more for the class activities to have different states such as in the Sims 3 (Focused, Slack in Class etc.). It would've been cute your grade to depend on your participation in class and the level of homework you've done. (a little challenge EA! not everything has to be simfluencer and bobba teas or whatever). Send paper messages while in class, have actual exams and your grade depending on your school activities and performance.

For science class it would be cute to add new activities, make experiments, gather frogs and your grade to depend on this. Also for history or geography class to tie it in with the library or a town hall venue where you need to go and interview the mayer and ask about the town etc..

I also saw lots of people complaining the game is broken again Every time they touch anything that has to do with gameplay, it breaks.

Build and buy are cute as always. Body hair is plain ugly. CAS is OK.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#338 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 10:45 AM
I wonder...

While I know that develooers don't play the game they developing... I still want to wonder would they really play the game they're working/creating for? Or are they taking routes that's for their conveniemce, and not the players enjoyment? Like, playing the high school in this games feels underwhelming at best. You play it just to have Sims running around in particular building during "work hours". And even then there's not much interactions for these chuligans to cause havoc in the hallways, or have them bail out from classrooms after asking the teach to use the bathroom, all while avoiding security halls / school administration for catching them. That would have been a NICE gameplay adrenaline thrown in.Hell, how is my mind is so creativity to think of that idea out of spot while the Studio couldn't thought of incorperating said execution?

The fact that the expansion is still TEXT-PROMPT based in OPEN-CLASSROOM enviroment where you can see your Sims on screen finally in this interation speaks a lot. They don't even actually PASS OUT (not even nap-sit animation) when the game throws an event that they did to inflict consequence SPEAKS LAZINESS.

Is there any point to have this pack installes if you can actually recreate the experience with Teens being in school, when there really is no real reward for it?

Mad Poster
#339 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 1:11 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 5th Aug 2022 at 1:54 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I wonder...

While I know that develooers don't play the game they developing... I still want to wonder would they really play the game they're working/creating for? Or are they taking routes that's for their conveniemce, and not the players enjoyment? Like, playing the high school in this games feels underwhelming at best. You play it just to have Sims running around in particular building during "work hours". And even then there's not much interactions for these chuligans to cause havoc in the hallways, or have them bail out from classrooms after asking the teach to use the bathroom, all while avoiding security halls / school administration for catching them. That would have been a NICE gameplay adrenaline thrown in.Hell, how is my mind is so creativity to think of that idea out of spot while the Studio couldn't thought of incorperating said execution?

The fact that the expansion is still TEXT-PROMPT based in OPEN-CLASSROOM enviroment where you can see your Sims on screen finally in this interation speaks a lot. They don't even actually PASS OUT (not even nap-sit animation) when the game throws an event that they did to inflict consequence SPEAKS LAZINESS.

Is there any point to have this pack installes if you can actually recreate the experience with Teens being in school, when there really is no real reward for it?

In the last General Discussion thread that I started and shut down due to trolls, I had a tweet posted from Grant complaining about games that use walls of text. Ironic, isn't it? A game dev complaining about walls of text in a game while he works on a game that includes walls of text. I think that speaks to many things regarding TS4...

I don't know what people expected from this pack; the trailer didn't show much. Sims sneaking out a window, fluff about how much personality sims "have", cheerleading, football players that don't actually play football, what Maxis is calling a prom, blah, blah, blah. The live stream was more telling of what was to come, but for whatever reason, people decided that they were going to hype this pack beyond any hype that it actually deserved. This isn't a new problem, but I have to wonder why people keep doing it. People that like to build practically turned inside out over curved walls; the curved walls are a hot mess. I was wrong about them not being added, but the expression "Be careful what you wish for" applies.

Then there was the whole thing about sexual orientation thing. That was also blown up, pushed, praised to no end only to turn out to also be a epic fail. Apparently I'm missing something or a lot. How many times can something be hyped to the moon only to have the community come crashing down before it is learned that doing these things is self defeating. This doesn't mean people have to walk around calling a new pack a POS, but reigning in the hyperbole wouldn't hurt.

The body hair thing; something else that has been hyped. I don't need to explain how that went. The back hair thing is worse then the leg hair. They didn't blend the hair so the 'hairline' stops where a shirt sleeve would start or end if a sim was wearing a sleeveless top. While trying to find a pic to show what I'm talking about ( I didn't find one. If I do, I'll post it), I came across a article from Yahoo talking about how Maxis accidentally enabled incest. https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sim...-005815686.html I wonder if Andrew Wilson has read that article? Nothing sez healthy like having incest in a game. Blech! I'm not even going to start about the Wants and Fears.

Adding fuel to all of this is Yibs being told that they need to tell people that the version of the pack they are using to sell new content is 'not final software' or whatever it is, yeah, no. What is shown is what people get. This is yet another Maxis pattern. They did the same thing with My Wedding Stories. That pack was sold just as busted as it was shown.

Rinse, wash, repeat be should be made into a cheer. "Rinse, Wash,Repeat!" clap "Rinse, Wash, Repeat! clap If people want to get all fancy with it, they can do the Rachel Franklin version. Rinse, Wash, Repeat! clap clap

EDIT: I'm aware body hair, wants and fears, and curved walls were not technically part of this pack, but for the sake of simplicity, they got a mention.
Field Researcher
#340 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 1:20 PM
Quote:
I wonder...

I realize one does not have to be a game lover to design games. But I'm sure it is a lot easier, not to mention a lot more fun, if one was.

A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval. - Mark Twain
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#341 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 6:39 PM
Well these developers are game designers, I think. So when it comes to designing games, programmers also have to take into consideration that the game's experience must be enjoyable, alongside not just functional. Shouldn't that be part of their job's description?

Smeg Head
#342 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 7:16 PM
That type of employment is more like a vocation. The years of college and university, of learning how to code across the board, specializing in gaming software by the end, and following that through until you are professional enough to be hired in the industry you long-since prepared yourself to work in and actively sought employment in when you believed you were ready.

With all that said, getting a job in the industry to first bring home the bacon, to bolster your resume with experience, it would be an especially nice bonus to find employment on a project you actually enjoyed. That would make all the difference. And there's the line drawn in the sand between a fantastic game made by the majority of devs who loved the project with a passion, to those devs just bringing home the bacon and still waiting for that special project to come. Or, regarding Sims 4, loved it to start with, but just waiting for the ten-year-old pensioner of a game to damn-well finish because it's now so boring to work on. After all, I think one of the criteria to get a job for Maxis Sims is to say during the initial interview that you've loved The Sims since you were a child. I actually think that trumps a lack of college and university code training when applying for a job at Maxis. It certainly seems that way.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
#343 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 9:52 AM
Quote:
Well these developers are game designers, I think. So when it comes to designing games, programmers also have to take into consideration that the game's experience must be enjoyable, alongside not just functional. Shouldn't that be part of their job's description?

Career burnout is a real thing with any job. I personally could not see myself working on a sims game for years at a time. As much as I like my game, I take breaks from it. Sometimes those breaks are a few weeks, other times it can be several months. It all depends on what is going on in real life at the time. Right now I can't stand the weather outside. There is nothing pleasant about being outside when it is 90- plus degrees with 70% humidity. I walk my dogs, water the gardens late in the afternoon and that's it for being outside. Now that we're past the peak of summer, the weather is going to start to cool off. Once we're back into the 70's with normal humidity levels, my game won't see much of me until I'm done with outside stuff or the snow starts flying, which ever comes first.

If there are people within Maxis that are that burned out or whatever, it's time to move on. There is the constant argument going on about who is to blame for all the mess / disasters that keep happening. I don't think it is just a Maxis problem or a EA problem, it's a wide-spread company problem as a whole.

At least once a year investors have a chance to show Andrew Wilson the door. They've reduced his pay, but they keep him around because his goal and what feels like only goal is to make every IP EA has in their portfolio a live service game with loot boxes and macro transactions. This is not something Maxis has control over. There was the thing over QA for this game this past week. Sim Guru Nick posted a vague tweet about their QV team. I looked into the difference between QA and QV. QV or "Quality Verification" is different from QA. QV involves engineers, artists and other technical-type staff along with people that test the game. QA or "Quality Assurance" are on the bottom rung of the testing ladder. That job is for people that have a interest in the industry and want to see what it is all about.

Once upon a time, EA kept testing within the company. These days EA outsources many of these jobs which has also lead to a decline in testing across most of TS4. Thanks to attention being brought to this, players are actually looking at it. https://youtu.be/uXFk8gL2Bfg?t=570 Again, this is something Maxis doesn't have control over. EA outsources because they don't want to pay what they would if they kept all those jobs within EA.

The problem with Maxis is they are not holding on to the proverbial reins for the things they do have control over. We've been told time and time again that they're going to be more transparent. That has yet to happen and won't at this point. They keep projecting their beliefs and such into the game, but at the end of the day, those things don't mean anything. They're using talking points to pull on heartstrings to sell packs. I know people don't like these being pointed out, but the proof is in the game itself.

TS4 is beyond the days of using a cauliflower as a reference for hair, but for every step forward, there are 3 steps back. The community has been told that EA stays out Maxis' business, so what's the excuse for all the stuff that isn't right. I'm not asking, just making a point. If there is no pressure coming from top brass, something is really wrong within the management team for Maxis.

We're never going to know the answers to all of this stuff. But, if the community never uttered a word about a guru again, the game would continue to reveal that there are problems, many of them.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#344 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 10:40 PM
Lazy Game Review on The Sims 4: High School Years is up.

Instructor
#345 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 1:03 AM Last edited by Sokisims : 8th Aug 2022 at 1:29 AM.
So glad the first 4t2 conversions are starting to come out ^^ It's time to download clothes.
Alchemist
#346 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 6:31 PM Last edited by daisylee : 9th Aug 2022 at 9:32 PM.
Quote:

Thank you for posting as it is good/interesting that Clint is posting again. Cannot wait to see what he says?

edit: I saw it and can say I have at least as of now zero interest in this pack. Was nice to see him review again though.
Mad Poster
#347 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 3:50 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 10th Aug 2022 at 4:06 AM.
They moved the Double Gallery Architecture to Suburban Contempo. Double Gallery is right there. Why, Maxis?

And where is the Japanese filter? Moroccan?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Scholar
#348 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 7:02 AM
As for Steams reviews:

High School Years: Mostly Negative
Werewolfs: Mostly Postitive

looks like Werewolfs is the clear winner.
Mad Poster
#349 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 12:48 PM
I don't know who it was or where, but somebody made a interesting observation yesterday.

The furry pack got lots of love and hype from the gurus before the pack was released, during the time of release and post release. There wasn't nearly as much hype and or enthusiasm for High School Years. Yibs spent more time hyping High School Years than Maxis did. Then the first patch happened which was the start of what is being affectionately referred to as the "week from hell.' There was the "leaks" for the upcoming kits, the second patch with a promise of a third that never happened, the whole so-called rule change for custom content and mods which didn't change, at all, yada, yada, yada.

I'm not suggesting that this lack of hype even without all the mess that followed is deep, but it is something worth watching. If there is no love for a pack from the people that make it, certainly they don't expect the masses to have a different opinion. Right?
Mad Poster
#350 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 1:22 PM
It's obvious Maxis devs don't care about the simulation aspect of The Sims at all simply because it's not their cup of tea. High School years isn't exciting or exhilarating.

I find packs along the lines of Nightlife to be interesting. It doesn't do a lot mechanically, but what it does do is so in depth and detailed. It allows for positive and negative outcomes by virtue of engaging with the game's mechanics. There's content for kid's and teens despite the content being for adults. It's the perfect pack.

The Sims 4 equivalent, Get Together, doesn't begin the touch what Nightlife tried to do. Having detailed social group is great and all, but players were using those social groups to do exactly what they would be doing in the base game (café aside).

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Page 14 of 19