Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 7:50 AM
Default Prepare to be offended.
http://emodanger.co.cc/whatcanwedo.htm

This is the second most offensive thing I've read/seen about the emo subculture. It's like saying if your black you steal stuff. It's not true at all. But you know, parents can be lacking in infomation like that. **cough cough** They can be stupid like that.

And, why is everyone so sensitive about the word emo? Why do ppl have to put them in quotation marks? It's a subculture, just as real as punk or goth. There are terrible stereotypes out there, and websites like these enforce them. Same as saying goth people worship the devil. Same as saying punk kids shave their hair. Same as saying Hippies don't take baths. IT's stupid.

Emo is a subculture, and a music genre. Punk is also a subculture and music genre. Why is it so censored?

YES, I is a Nintendork!
I'm not a morning person. or an afternoon person. Acutally, im not an "anytime of the day" person.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 9:48 AM
Since I don't really love reading long stuff in English and this just seems like shit,I won't read it. Bah.

I thought people would have got over this! The "emo"-culture seems to have disappeared almost completely from Sweden, people who were emo a couple of years ago went first scene and then just like everybody else. Here people don't care an more, noone screams "EMO" if you walk past 'em, like I said, the emo cultureis dead and noone cares any more.

I apologize if anyone is offended, but i truly h a t e USA and how it's rebelling when a ssixteen-year old wears lipstick for the first time of her life. For Christ's sake, I dyed my hair black when I was twelve ...
I aim to misbehave
retired moderator
#3 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 11:46 AM
That's stupid!!! Bracelets to cover cuts??!! Oh please!! Who the heck has writen that!!?? And... "when your "emo kid" is with a frien he has to be monitored"... ARGH!!!

Check out my tutorials: For TS4: Eyelashes and for TS2: Eyes and Eyes 2
-My Insta-

Please, call me Nina (:
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 4:21 PM
LOL. Listen, this is serious. Put yourself in the parents shoes. It would be really scary if your kid was conforming to a style that was involved with self harm. So I can see where it's coming from.

The desire to avoid the cutting and suicide aspects isn't bad, and I don't blame people for it. But trying to gets kids to stop dressing emo so they stop cutting themselves is pretty idiotic. There's nothing wrong with the clothes (besides people not respecting you...) or the music. The only problem is kids who want to fit in so badly to the emo culture that they start cutting themselves and thinking about suicide.

His Eyes were Green. As Green as Oak Leaves in Summer.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 7:48 PM
Isn't it also a stereotype that all emo cut themselves? From what I understand "real" self-professed emo types don't do that, only the posers and people with serious issues (in one way or another) / stupid kids who believe in all the negative "hype" and stereotyping do so or they do it to "feel alive" or whatever ....I hate how many people call you emo even if you're not....emo is such a stupid word anyway.

I agree though, if a kid/teen is cutting themselves it's stupid to automatically assume that how they've suddenly started dressing...what music they're listening to...and so on...has anything to do with it. I'm sure that only the poser and messed up side of emo (not the real emo culture) has cutting and suicidal thoughts as part of its so-called culture.
I can't remember the specifics but a few posts I've read from people claiming to be cutters...what they were saying about it had nothing to do with what they were wearing and it wasn't to get back at anybody, ect. It was just something they did for whatever reason (to "feel alive" or whatever....I don't know) and if I remember correctly from the sound of it some, if not most, just "can't help it" they feel empty inside or something if they try not to cut...something like that...like I said I don't remember specifics so please don't shout at me if I end up being wrong but I really am sure about the "it has nothing to do with clothes or music ect." part.....(hope I am making sense here)

They thought the same thing about goths (that all goths are suicidal) and they were wrong about that. And I think people count emo as a type of gothic subculture or whatever just because of how they dress when really it's just a different/another subculture.

Culture/subculture never really dies, it just goes underground/hides
(or gets smaller)
Something that may have died out as a fad where you live may just be getting started or is at its peak elsewhere, you know what I mean? No offense is meant by any of this, just sharing what I feel is truth and giving my two cents just like anyone.
Instructor
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2009 at 5:26 AM
WHOA! None of that website was necessary. I'm still appalled.
"A kid with jet-black hair over one of his eyes, listening to My Chemical Romance, wearing his sister's pants and makeup is advertising to the world, "Look at me, I'm emo!""

Wow. First of all... What's wrong with shouting out to the world who you are?
I don't give a flyin' hootinany if you're a grave robber or a princess. Act yourself. And if yourself is Emo, Goth, School Nerd, Jock, WHATEVER... then good for you!

That website is trash. Disregard it at all costs.

~Hi, I don't do Sims much anymore, sorry! I will respond to messages when able :)~
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 6:00 AM
oh wow. that is horrible.
we need to have dress codes against "emo hair" and black clothes? wtf?!
that doesn't even make sense.
emo/scene is a style...not a cult. or a gang.
and we "advertise" on myspace?
whoever wrote that IS overreacting and stereotyping severly.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Jul 2009 at 6:43 AM
I started reading the website, but couldn't continue because I was horrified. All I can say is: Emo is not a type of person. It's a type of music, that I happen to like ^-^

Rise above hate. Love one another. Be kind.
I am INACTIVE on MTS
Come find me on GoS and tumblr:
TS2 Blog
TS4 Blog
Instructor
#9 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 5:08 AM
I'd like to think that, since I don't know the culture any better, Emo, being a type of music, branched off into a more popular type of fashion that was derived from the music. The clothing started getting popular and more people started listening to the music. This "horrible" Emo thing has been around since the 80's... It's an art form and way to express yourself just as much as painting or pinning up your hair the way you like.

People are so closed minded it sickens me. >_O

~Hi, I don't do Sims much anymore, sorry! I will respond to messages when able :)~
Banned
#10 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 10:44 PM
if that was the second worst I don't think that I want to know what the first was.

That is most possibly the worst thing I have ever read. Quite frankly whomever wrote that ('caring parents' aka people who THINK THEY'RE DOING WHAT'S RIGHT FOR THEIR KIDS? oh please.)

We shoudl be able to dress how we want. I'm not suicidal nor am I an emo, but i think this is appalling. And bracelets for covering up cuts... oh yes, that's why every teenager wears five bracelets on each arm, so they can hide the cuts that they put on themselves because they wear dark clothes, listen to darker rock/punk/emo music, and have hair over their eyes. Yes. I know, that is why teens commit suicide. Because of the music they listen to???

I finished reading it and I wanted to hit the computer.

I'm sorry if some people agree with this (in which case I have to ask you if you are currently in possession of your mind) but I think this is just completely WRONG. Oh, and sorry for the rant.
Test Subject
#11 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 4:03 AM
I can understand where it's all coming from, considering a lot of the 'emo' kids that I know are self-harmers, but this article is taking things to the extreme. Not every kid who wears skinny jeans and a lot of bracelets is a cutter. If they are, it's generally to do with some serious personal issues and NOT the subculture. Parents tend to look for something to blame, rather than looking for the real cause of a problem this big.
Instructor
#12 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 4:13 AM
*Shakes with anger* So they're saying that emo is contagious over the INTERNET! WTF! Kids like me should be able to listen to, wear, go to whatever website we want. Myspace and all that junk isn't the problem, its the dumb parents that are 'trying' whats 'best' for there kids. AKA, WHAT THEY WHAT THERE KIDS TO WEAR AND LISTENT TO!

Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 25th Jan 2010 at 7:34 PM Last edited by fthomas : 26th Jan 2010 at 4:29 PM.
I totally agree with xdEaDbLoOdx! If children and teenagers are cutting themselves or taking part in any self harm whatsoever or even considering suicide then obviously the parents would be distressed and worried and would want some information.

But then again, this website is totally wrong in saying that people can't dress or listen to emo music! That is just stupid. Emo music and dress sense has nothing linked to self abuse or suicide, yes some song lyrics may be but sensible emos wouldn't do that, or even consider it!

Personally I think emos are fine and are lovely people, I love the emo fashion, make up and music too but self harm or even suicide just isn't right. I think the people who own that website should really rewrite some of that website and call it "Self Harm Help" rather than "Protecting your kids from becoming Emos", maybe only a brief link on the old culture of emos and state how it has changed into more of a fashion.

* Totally Annoyed at the website - Big Frown!*

And! - No matter what that website says, I still like emo things!
x

Banned
#14 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 12:14 AM
*still open-mouthed from complete and utter shock*

HOW DARE THEY!
Emo is a music genre and a subculture. It doesn't mean suicidal sad kids wearing black and slitting their wrists all the time! Some people call ME emo or goth and I don't mope around muttering about how I'm gonna kill myself. Sure, I'm not your normal kid, but this is just crazy
And come on, A DRESS CODE??? Banning ALL BLACK CLOTHING??? That's just so stupid, it's sad. It's like banning pink for guys cuz if guys wear pink they're gay. Or banning tye-dye shirts cuz that means the kids are hippy children and smoke pot. And hey, adults wear black all the time. And they wear those huge bracelety things. Maybe we should be looking out for them!!!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 26th Jan 2010 at 5:01 PM
this is funny shit. i'll read it sometime.

I WOULD GO OUT TONIGHT
BUT I HAVEN'T GOT A STICH TO WEAR
Test Subject
#16 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 2:27 PM
This is shit -.- My parents would read things like this (but they are not english speakers, so and may applicate it ._.
But this IS SHIT, and i'ts WRONG. I mean, who the hell are you to tell us what to listen to, what to wear and what to do? ¬¬
The instructions about "how to protect your kid" are really stupid. Banning MySpace?
C'MON!!
I got very angry -.-
Banned
#17 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 7:32 PM
I think that that entire site is laughable. I was actually killing myself laughing reading what that person wrote. #1, banning Myspace? Hello-o, if you know how to ban it, we sure as hell know how to un-ban it. Teenagers know a lot more about computers than most adults, so how would that even be effective? #2, I wear black 98% of the time, and I'm what the townspeople emogoth, aka a cross between the two. Sure, I listen to MCR and Evanescence, but I don't cut myself or try suicide. I'm smarter than to risk the lives of my twins that way. #3, Banning black clothing is unlawful, oppresive and overall just a stupid idea. If we can't wear black, then we'll find another colour. Red, for example? Soon enough they'll run out of colours to ban.

More later.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 7:56 PM
and in the end then we'll have to be naked. that would be awesome.

I WOULD GO OUT TONIGHT
Banned
#19 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 9:55 PM
^

Okay, now that I'm un-busy, more on the topic.

If this person thinks she's so smart, this 'Dr. Emo' person, then why the heck does she have entire pages dedicated to plagarising (or however you spell it) people's images. She didn't credit ANYBODY for their artwork, and truthfully, if I ever meet this person, she deserves a good slap in the face for ripping off people and critisizing beautiful, moving images. If you don't like it, lady, don't look. (We don't want you to look anyways, you bag.) She has never even attempted to walk in a modern teenager's shoes and obviously has no field experience whatsoever! There's no documentation that she's out, actually surveying so-called 'rebels'. She just posts 'accounts' and 'sad realities', which is 1), unprofessional on all counts, and 2), just lame.

She never has made an argument whatsoever for these people, and I think that actions like hers are just aggravating this so-called 'cult' (which it isn't) into being more open, more expressive, and more out-there. Sure, there are some extremists, but that's just like everything else. Every culture has had it's extremists, but that doesn't make the whole of it evil.

Before, even 5 years ago, when nobody cared about trying to oppress people like us, we didn't go to such extremes. But because people like her have popped up here and there, our society has had to become more open, not because we want people to join us (hello, we don't care how many of us there are), but most possibly because we just want people to know that most of us aren't like the 'emo' she describes. Emo is so often stereotyped and made evil in the eyes of the general population because of our extremists and our artwork, not to mention our music. We are called 'depressos' with 'no sense of happiness' who 'just want to kill themselves' to 'end the eternal suffering' and 'join the black parade'.

That is SO not true.

Emo, under my definition, is anybody (not just depressed people or suicidals) who feels that they can identify with others who profess themselves as 'emo'. Anybody, even jocks, nerds and cheerleaders, can be emo. You don't have to wear black, like MCR, or cut yourself. You just have to be a bit dark, and think a lot more than usual.

So don't think that this lady has any real say on what 'emo' is. Emo is everywhere, and if she wants to stop it, then she's on something or just plain nuts. Nobody can stop a society.
Test Subject
#20 Old 29th Jan 2010 at 11:24 AM
At risk of being called a troll etc, standing out from the crowd I would have to say that some of the things it says are things that need saying.
"Spend time with your kids! There is no substitute for good communication with your children. This does not mean be more of a friend than a parent" "Keeping lines of communication open will prevent many adolescent problems" "If your child is engaging in self-injury, please seek professional help immediately" all of those things are the kind of things that parents need to be told.
Granted, the use of emo as a derogatory vehicle is wrong and most of the things it says are bull, but still, it has some valid points.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 5:05 PM
Well okay. I've read it once more now. And I gotta say... this isn't so bad, acctually. The only thing that bothers me is that the writer of that page seems to think emo is the only "culture" were self injury exist. My sis has always been as far away from emo as it's possible, still she has had a few periods of cutting. Feeling bad and hating everything is just a part of beeing a teenager.

Another thing is that he or she, I bet it's a she, thinks that emo = feeling down, and doesn't even consider it may work the other way around, if you feel horrible you are most likely to start wearing dark clothes and stuff. Not beeing mean to anyone as I'm honesly one of them, the only ones who are stupid enough to start cutting themself just because the like certain type of music are twelve-year-olds, and they will grow out of it. Like I said, I somehow maneged to covince myself I has issues and it's not exactly something I'm proud of.

Last thing I'll complain about is that banning emo, or acctually banning anything at all, will only make it worse. If kids are allowed to dress the way they want, they'll be so much happier and they will probably not harm themself half as much as they would do if they were forced to look "normal".

Except for that idiocy, I think the site is good. Evry parent should spend much time with their children, no matter how they look. Well now probably evryone here will hate me, but it's okay, I mean, I'm emo, feeling hated makes me feel good. Right?

I WOULD GO OUT TONIGHT
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 4:22 PM
I agree with you Unlaced :] x