Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 1:34 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Game Broken due to Launcher installed CC
So i downloaded and installed cc from just one creator, wont mention who as that seems uncalled for. However after installing the cc. Deleting them from the downloads part of the directory and deleting the files in dcbackup - the game now refuses to go past the black screen of the launching part.

Is there a way to remove the said files through dccache? and if so is there a program to look through the contents? Im at a loss as i was near finishing a project. Ive had this issue before but i normally backup my dccache files and dcbackup but i forgot this time. Any tips or advice would be great
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 1:59 AM
Id also like to add, i cant go through the launcher to uninstall as it crashes
Instructor
#3 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 7:46 AM
you could go create a fresh, brand new The Sims 3 folder. first you need to rename your current The Sims 3 to something like The Sims 3 - Backup, then open the game (not the launcher) and it will make a new one. that way all of your custom contents installed through launcher will be gone entirely.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 11:59 AM
The thing is, i have alot of cc prior to the newer stuff i installed, dating back to 2010. I dont want to get rid of everysingle piece of cc that was installed via the launcher. Id just like to know if its possible to uninstall just part of the dccache files
Instructor
#5 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 1:28 PM
you could re-install all of them if you still have sims3pack files

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 2:13 PM
that sadly isnt possible as this is my third pc, i only have the files related to the sims, not the original downloads. alot of my sims cc, worlds, saves etc depend on the dccache files. I was just looking for a file or program like delphys dashboard but for launcher installed cc. Or even a way to edit the dccache files without using the launcher
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 3:41 PM
just a little update - i have 0-18 .dbc files, dcdb3.dbc is the file that is causing the issues. Is there a way to look into it and see what the problem is?
Instructor
#8 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sadurino
just a little update - i have 0-18 .dbc files, dcdb3.dbc is the file that is causing the issues. Is there a way to look into it and see what the problem is?

Like legacyoffailures said above, try creating a new The Sims 3 folder and move the dcdb3.dbc file to the new DCCache folder. Be sure to make a backup copy of the file somewhere on your desktop just in case.

Rename the file in the new DCCache folder to dcdb0.dbc and then boot up the new launcher. You should be able to sort through the cc within the problematic file and uninstall what’s causing the crashing. Once you’re done, rename the file back to dcdb3.dbc and put it back in your DCCache folder in your old The Sims 3 folder.

Take the new The Sims 3 folder out of your Electronic Arts folder and put your old The Sims 3 folder back in and make sure it’s named “The Sims 3”.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 9:16 PM
Hi, it appears that all of my safe cc via the launcher has been written over with the bad cc? like i have my dbc files from 1-18 but its only showing the ones from .3 ( the bad one ).. i think something def went wrong as that appears to be only cc at all.. im bad at explaining as even i have no clue whats happened. I can still view the cc inside S3PE but in the launcher its only showing 5% of what i actually have.. ill wait to see what the tech guy thats helped me before says and go from there. this is truly the strangest bug ive ever had.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 9:19 PM

You can open those files with S3PE as a package. Problem is that even if you have the CASP, there is no real order to files in those packages. Deleting the CASP may fix it, but it could also be any file in that CC, which is hard to track down.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
You can open those files with S3PE as a package. Problem is that even if you have the CASP, there is no real order to files in those packages. Deleting the CASP may fix it, but it could also be any file in that CC, which is hard to track down.

Thanks, i didnt know how to use S3PE for the dbc files. Ill try that but its looking like ill have to just remove all launcher installed content which just gives me one problem. Seeing as every save game i have is in a custom world - Mainly the "Cas World", removing all cc via the launcher would make all my saves unusable and seeing as i dont often save my sims - is there a way to save the households or sims without being in the save itself? I had to do this a while ago but even after reinstalling the world just so i could enter the save it would never load in - basically making it unplayable. I know its probably impossible but is there a way for me to get back into the saves/worlds that use custom made worlds? even after removing the worlds?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 2:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
hmm I didn't read this thread until now... um, you should definitely not do that whole thing with renaming the 3rd DCB etc.. and using the launcher, as the files compressed and stored in the dccache is not necessarily together. a CC can have its index file in the 1st one while other files in the other dbc files.

i hope you made backups before attempting to repair the dbc files.

i would suggest using S3OC to open the dccache files. Find the offending CC, and then attempt to "clone" it into a separate package. Then open the new package with S3PE and you will see a list of files. Now, I'm assuming when cloning you will get a new instance number. But at least it gives you a list of type of file. Using S3pe, find the offending CC in the 3rd dbc and using that instance number, track down all related files in all your dccache dbc files and remove them manually.

It's tedious, but I don't see any other way other than starting over.

btw, just curious, you didn't delete the ccmerged.package from your dcbackup folder did you? Also in the download folder should be 3 small files.

Also, you should give us a link to the broken CC so we can help you investigate better. For example, I can actually "test" this on my own system. I copy my user folder to a ramdisk to run TS3, so it never affects my original.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Ill give you a rundown of what i did leading up to it and what happened after.
I Installed Billsims clothing from the sims resource, about 20 items in total but installed 3 of them at a time, deleting the files from the dcbackup folder and the downloads folder as it free's up space, i also had a sim in there by OhCrapItsTBGP, however i was able to uninstall that right after i installed it as i forgot about it completely.

I tried to boot my game back up but it was stuck on that black screen, the one that shows right before the logo's. This has happened to me before and i knew it was from the cc i had just installed. So i tried to find all of the billsims clothing to uninstall but even when finding them, the launcher refused to uninstall them. Im normally good at backing up my dccache folder and dcbackup folder after every new launcher installed piece of cc as ive had issues in the past but for some reason i just completely forgot to do it this time. So i went about doing what ive done before, which is checking through each individual .dbc file in the dccache as i was able to fix it before (years ago might i add).

I tested them one by one ( 0-18, 18 in total ) and the one that refused to open on its one was .dbc3 - so i opened it in S3PE to see the contents but as far as i can tell no new cc was added to it.

At this point i was getting frustrated as i couldnt uninstall it via the launcher due to it crashing and mad at myself for not backing it up. So i removed the problem dccache (3) and made a copy of all dbc files and my dcbackup but left 1-18 excluding 3 and just installed one world, the Casworld by Fizzylogicdishwasher, as all of my save worlds and wip's are within that custom world. It installed fine and it created a new .dbc3 which i thought would solve the problem. But thats when i realised even though it was a brand new .dbc3, it had all of its old content from the broken dbc file. and it also appeared that ALL of my other launcher installed cc was now overwritten with the broken cc of .dbc3

I can still view dbc1-18 via S3PE and see that all of its proper content is still there, it just wont show within the launcher. My game still refuses to load.

Im terrible at explaining as i even dont know what happened. Ive done this before and it worked out fine but something about doing it this time practically broke my game and the cc from the launcher. It would obviously be easier to show than to explain but idk how id go about doing that. If you need any of my files uploaded to a file sharing site im happy to do so.

Thank you for your time, apologies for my poor explaining.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 2:41 PM
I think what im looking at having to do is to just be able to access my saves, save my sims to family bin and just start fresh in terms of launcher installed cc, my mods package folder is fine. I just need to know if its at all possible to enter saves that use custom worlds after the original files of the worlds is deleted. Will i be able to go into a existing save in custom world with a new download of the world? or will that not work.
Instructor
#15 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 6:36 PM
I just need to know if its at all possible to enter saves that use custom worlds after the original files of the worlds is deleted. Will i be able to go into a existing save in custom world with a new download of the world? or will that not work.

I suppose you could install the world without launcher through clean installation, so that you'd be able to save your household to the bin as long as you still have the sims3pack of that world.

See this guide;
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php%3Ftit...ut_The_Launcher

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 10:06 PM
yeah.. you can't do that. I'm not entirely sure what is the logic behind doing something like this. the dbc files, though you can open with S3PE, they're not "package" files. They are packed in a certain order with a certain index. You can't just remove 1 of them and let the game create a new one. It doesn't work that way.

However, I also find it strange you cannot uninstall a simple clothing from Simsresource b/c that site is at least quite reputable for their uploads. They do have a QA, so rarely you'll find broken ccs there.

Well, I hope you have backed up everything, by that I mean after it was broken. Because I think what you have tried to do in order to fix it has cause far more harm to your dccache then the original problem.

You said there is a CC that cannot be uninstalled? Have you tried reinstalling it and then uninstalling it? At worst you can extract the CASP and make it blank so it will not be loaded.

I backed it up but even with the clean yet broken files its only showing dbc3's content. I know what i did is dumb looking back on it but ive never understood the technological aspects of the sims, especially the way the launcher files operate. Im most likely just going to take this as a sign to start fresh atleast in terms of sims3pack cc. I hope u dont mind me reasking but seeing as ill be removing all cache files including installed worlds, how will i be able to enter saves with the worlds that are no longer installed? Is it as easy as just reinstalling the worlds with a fresh dccache folder? Or is there a way of extracting the families and sims without the world?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
I suppose you could install the world without launcher through clean installation, so that you'd be able to save your household to the bin as long as you still have the sims3pack of that world.

See this guide;
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php%3Ftit...ut_The_Launcher

Ah i see thank you, ill give that a go and see if it works!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 10:11 PM
yeah.. you can't do that. I'm not entirely sure what is the logic behind doing something like this. the dbc files, though you can open with S3PE, they're not "package" files. They are packed in a certain order with a certain index. You can't just remove 1 of them and let the game create a new one. It doesn't work that way.

However, I also find it strange you cannot uninstall a simple clothing from Simsresource b/c that site is at least quite reputable for their uploads. They do have a QA, so rarely you'll find broken ccs there.

Well, I hope you have backed up everything, by that I mean after it was broken. Because I think what you have tried to do in order to fix it has cause far more harm to your dccache then the original problem.

You said there is a CC that cannot be uninstalled? Have you tried reinstalling it and then uninstalling it? At worst you can extract the CASP and make it blank so it will not be loaded.

Oh sorry a few more things i want to mention, Yes i tried reinstalling the cc to uninstall it but it still gave me issues. I normally have no bother with BillSims' content but i guess one of them was bad? Im not sure. Id also like to ask, even though i installed something new when i had removed 1 part of my dbc files, is there any way to salvage any of my dbc files? Or is just installing one new thing with one dbc file removed enough to destroy it all? Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 11:05 PM
Do you have the damaged backup before you tried to fix? Because by removing dcb3 and then adding a new world to create a new dcb3, it probably disrupted the index file. I mean honestly, I don't really know that much about it at least in detail, I just know they use similar compression as packages that is why we can open it with S3PE, but the files in there are not stored together per say but spread out. This is why you can't simply find the files to a certain CC and extract it, repackage it into a package file and it would work. You need to use S3OC to clone it b/c it needs to create a some missing index files.

If you do not have a backup prior to creating the new db3, it is unlikely you can salvage anything b/c the only way is to use S3OC and clone all your CCs. And if you have 18 dcbs, then this work is more tedious than simply reinstalling them all.

When u say i cant salvage anything does that mean i cant get into my saves even if i reinstall the world? Does this also mean all of my savedsims and libary files are gone too? Im fine with losing all cc in terms of launcher installed stuff but if it means my save files are completely obsolete and un-useable or at the very least not able to access just to save them then thats alot worse than i thought. I hope i can at the very least reinstall the world to access them, even if it means alot of the cc is gone
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 4:24 PM
No... not unless you are unable to re-install custom worlds. The worlds, like all CC, runs on instance number I believe. So if you are able to reinstall the world, your old saves should work. Library files are stored in the library, not dccache so they should all be intact.

Whatever CC you cannot reinstall, your old library files are fine except those missing CCs will be replaced by random objects of the same category. This is pretty much the same when you download a custom lot but didn't have the CCs required. I do that sometimes because I don't want new CC, but I like the lot structure. So I just edit those lots after placing them down with my own items to my liking.

----

The only known issue I've seen with custom worlds is that when someone accidentally installed the world twice. So you would have say... Boroughsburg and Boroughsburg(2), in which the game recognizes them separately. Then if you played in Boroughsburg(2) and then later reinstall your dccache but only the world once as Borogushburg, the save may not load b/c it is looking for (2). But if you have never had this issue, like accidentally installing the world twice, then you should be fine. Also do not rename the custom world when you reinstall it, keep it the same as the one you used for your save.

------

If you're going to reinstall your CCs, as others would suggest, try to convert them to packages as much as possible. I still prefer to use the Sims3pack for worlds, but for everything else, I just convert to packages. When I download lots, I always download vanilla non-CC, I hate having lots that comes with CCs b/c those CCs cannot be removed without removing the whole lot or vica versa (if I remember correctly).

Sims3pack installing is unflexible and difficult to fix. The only advantage it gives is that it compresses them into large dbc files, but if you have a SSD, this is a non issue and if you have a HDD, there are CC merger programs than many here use which does the same function for packages.

Overall, always make backups. I have several backups, at least 2 levels of it, so I have something to fall back on.

Thank you so much for your help and to everyone else who took time to help me. Ill probably wait a while to see what my pc repair guy says and see if he has any luck with helping me. Im glad my saved sims, library etc will be fine. But when you say i can turn dbcs into package files for the mod folder, does that mean i can convert all of my dbcs into package files and they'll work the same? would that also work for the worlds? Seeing as my installed worlds are scattered throughout my dbcs im not sure how that would work?
Forum Resident
#24 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 5:44 PM
Quote:
But when you say i can turn dbcs into package files for the mod folder, does that mean i can convert all of my dbcs into package files and they'll work the same? would that also work for the worlds? Seeing as my installed worlds are scattered throughout my dbcs im not sure how that would work?
S3PE is just a tool that allows you to read the files. You are not really converting anything, in the way Delphy's tool converts sims3packs to packages. As I understand it, the game is doing that anyway. Similar to tools that open various compressed files. 9zip will open pretty much anything, from basic zips to .rar to 7zip, 8zip or 9zip. Does not change the file.