Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Child Support v3.0 **UPDATED**

by monique Posted 8th Jun 2006 at 12:06 PM - Updated 22nd Oct 2006 at 5:00 AM by monique

183 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 170 Feedback Posts, 12 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 8
Test Subject
#51 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 1:14 AM
Simscrazy, I think that life insurance is only paid out if the sim dies of old age. No payouts for any other types of death. Bit ironic really!
Field Researcher
#52 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 3:48 AM
yay, i'm glad you decided to leave it where child is paid even when parent died.

good idea to have both versions up.
Field Researcher
#53 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 6:58 AM
Oh wow! Thank you so much for taking our suggestions into consideration. :D

I'm not sure I want child enforcement thugs... although that would be kind of an amusing idea. How would you decide when to send thugs? It might be a bit much in addition to getting the repo man. I figured the repo thing might be easier, because all you would have to do is probably just figure out how to add the value to the weekly bills. So if they are so poor, that they can't even afford their bills in general, the sort of punishment for being delinquent is the repo man. Rather than actually adding any repo man code to your controller specifically.

I think thugs would only make sense if you could refuse to pay the child support. In that case, it would probably be more complicated. Because then you'd have to add a dialog box to provide a choice for the supporter to pay or refuse. Although that would be kind of cool to do too, it might get messy trying to implement. On the one hand, you could do it simply, and just have it ask the question all the time. But that could get annoying for some players who want it to just be in effect by default. On the other hand, you could try and provide lot based settings, but that might be more work. :shrug:

I was also thinking, would it be too hard to make the amount of support based on the sims salary, like someone else mentioned above? I'm not sure what would be reasonable or realistic. Maybe 20-30%? Maybe someone who knows more about child support can suggest a value.

Anyways, definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread for future updates. I can't wait to see how this one develops!

Ste
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 7:34 AM
Well I have two problems. A lot of the time I play one familjy longer then an other.
This causes the parent not living with the child to loose a lot of money if I play the one with the child.

Isn't it possible that the money is only subtracted from the parent not living with the child when I play that house?

I kind of explaind it in the thread that requested this hack.

That the money comes to the child from a third party with endless amount of money (i.e. the goverment), as often as you think is approperiate. Then when the other parent is played the same amount is deducted from their account to that third party (government). That way it doesn't matter how much each lot is played.

Is that even possible to make?

MATY is the most childish and the most hostile site I've ever come in contact with.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 2:05 PM
Monique for sainthood!...too

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. --Eleanor Roosevelt
Field Researcher
#56 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by syberspunk

I was also thinking, would it be too hard to make the amount of support based on the sims salary, like someone else mentioned above? I'm not sure what would be reasonable or realistic. Maybe 20-30%? Maybe someone who knows more about child support can suggest a value

Ste

I mentioned this. and yes, that would be cool, i really hope that this option does get thought about very seriously and added as well. i still have not had a chance to play my game with this mod installed, so i can't give more imput, only ideas of what i think would make the mod better, hehe. maybe tonight after work
Field Researcher
#57 Old 12th Jun 2006 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Stimy
Well I have two problems. A lot of the time I play one familjy longer then an other.
This causes the parent not living with the child to loose a lot of money if I play the one with the child.

Isn't it possible that the money is only subtracted from the parent not living with the child when I play that house?

I kind of explaind it in the thread that requested this hack.

That the money comes to the child from a third party with endless amount of money (i.e. the goverment), as often as you think is approperiate. Then when the other parent is played the same amount is deducted from their account to that third party (government). That way it doesn't matter how much each lot is played.

Is that even possible to make?

Interesting. I hadn't thought about that, but it definitely makes sense. That's sort of why I was thinking that the supporter should pay the support in the form of bills. In a sense, almost as if it came from a 3rd party as you suggested.

I like the idea that the child's family gets the money from a 3rd party. However, on the one hand, I think there should be some effect if the supporter can't pay. The tough thing is, you'd have to create additional code, perhaps a token, to keep track of how much amount you are trying to deduct from supporter's household. Maybe, instead of instantly deducting from the supporter's household, you store the value that you deduct overtime in a token, only if that household can afford it. In this way, you can get support as if the supporter has been paying it, at least while that household can afford it. On the flip side, the supporter gets the child support added to their bills instead of being instantly deducted. In other words, the deduction only ever happens while you play the supporter's household. As a result, you will be forced to play the supporter's household after some time. And the addition only happens when you play the household that has the child, but it only adds so long as the supporter's household's funds is sufficient. I hope that makes sense. :P

Ste
Test Subject
#58 Old 13th Jun 2006 at 1:47 AM
can someone answer me do you need ep3 to play?cause i only have ts2,UV,NL!!!!
Field Researcher
#59 Old 13th Jun 2006 at 1:47 AM
i think that 10-15% of daily income should be sent every 3 days, so it would come up to 30-45% of the supporters income every three days. However, 45% is quite a little too close to half of the supporters income so i should think no more than 30% of the supporters income every 3 days. (10% of daily income) however i think that in real life it's more like 10-15% of gross monthly income.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 13th Jun 2006 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ashley566
can someone answer me do you need ep3 to play?cause i only have ts2,UV,NL!!!!

no ashley, this mod should work with all versions of the game. it does not appear to target any files that are EP specific.
Test Subject
#61 Old 13th Jun 2006 at 2:52 AM
finnally thanx!!!
Field Researcher
#62 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 12:39 AM
Can you make it so the parent paying support, including townies and on nighstand, drop by unannounced to visit or call apon the childike a parent trying to exercise his right to see and get to know his child. Or an angry sims who constantly comes by to kick the trash cause they are pissed at having to pay especially if they have no relationship with child.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 2:01 AM
Great for seperated parents! Thank you.

"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once."

By Evan Esar (1899 - 1995), Esar's Comic Dictionary
Test Subject
#64 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 10:56 AM Last edited by Mogartin : 14th Jun 2006 at 11:17 AM.
This hack is both good and bad...

It gives the parrent with the child more than enough money to never work again... (Considering the life length of the child.. as a teen, they can drink the rejuvination potion till mom/dad keels over... and with the juvenate food, daily eating of it, and they will never age...) Minimum pay for a possission is about 140 a day with weekends.

Current life, childsupport is a % or flat rate, decided in court. Usually lands to be about 15% of the paycheck, so in game, it should also be the same, every time you get paid, it should subtract 15% from your check, so there is "No going Broke" suddenly. (Low wages means low child support payments, and high wages means high childsupport payments...) This would cause the players to get the "other parrent" to a high standing in job possission before skipping out, or before the child is born... 200 a day is FAR TOO MUTCH...

The average life of a child, from birth to adult, is about 27-30 days, and this should be the "Pay piriod" to prevent overpaying, should you stop playing the familly with child/ren, and play the leaver for a while. If the baby is NOT born, there should be NO child support.

(US Residents) Current child support is NOT enough to survive, yet with foodstamps and other goverment subsidaries, it allows for the child and parrent to survive, as long as they live with someone. (About $350 a month 1 child, +$100 per child) and that's just barelly enough to cover basic bills.. (+$150 a month, +$100 per child for food stamps+ the parrent has to be working so many hours per week.)

My father died 2 months before I was born, my mother did NOT recieve any death benifits for me till after I was born, at a sum of $350 a month up to $812 a month (age 19 since I was still in school). My mother recieved 5% child support for my sisters after she got a devorce AND custody of them (Different father). He was making decent money, and had the better lawyer cause of the money he was making. He would of had my sisters IF he had wanted to keep them with him. He calculated that it would be more benifitial to allow my mother to keep them, since children's needs can get very expancive without warning. If not for the check she recieved for me and my older sister, there would of been times we would have gone without.

This mod can teach 2 things...
1) How to ruin every male's life they come accross.
2) Every male needs to be aware that many women only want your money, and they will get pregnant to do it.

(Edit)
Question:
If a teen moves out, does the teen still get the child support?

(End Edit)

Let the light shine through.

Cool... They got the pets added...
Now all they have to do is add the Farms in Sims 2.
Field Researcher
#65 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 12:20 PM
Oh now the choices, the choices, which version do I want....

I am so glad to see this automated, I had worked out a very comples system based on real child support laws in the UK (which for those of you who don't know is calculation something like x/3/100*y (where x is absent parents salary per week and y is a flat rate based on age of child) but having to send it through the money order or computer was annoying since I'd keep forgetting.

A couple of quetions though.

1) does V3.0 have the "only if met subject" requirements built in (I'm still trying to decide if I like this or not since getting an uncontrolable sim father to actually meet his infant child can be a pain in the posterior)

2) If child support is turned off on the lot the child is on, what happens on the supporters lot? I have some sims who have children with different partners and while some of the child raising sims don't want child support some do. How does the by lot process handle this? Can I have Sam paying Child support to his sons and daughter on one lot, but not to his daughter on another lot if it is turned on or off from the lot with the child on.

I hope I'm making some vague sense here.

English girls can be so mean! ~ Ryan Adams
Someone in Texas loves me!
The Jorenne Fan Club ~ 17 members and counting
Field Researcher
#66 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 12:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mogartin
This hack is both good and bad... <snip>

I actually kind of agree that the payout settings are a tad extreme. Maybe another update could take a % of the supporters current salary as has been suggested?

This mod can teach 2 things...
1) How to ruin every male's life they come accross.
2) Every male needs to be aware that many women only want your money, and they will get pregnant to do it.

Eh... I don't think it's really meant to 'teach' anything... but just so you know, you could have the child move in with the father instead. So it isn't always the 'male' whose life is ruined and it doesn't have to seem like the women are purposefully ruining men's lives by intentionally getting knocked up. :P

(Edit)
Question:

(End Edit)

Last I looked... I think the money goes to the household that the child is in... I wonder then... if the child does not live with either parent, does the controller make them both pay? I'd have to look at the updated version to be sure.

And I second Jorene's question. I imagine the answer to the first is that, since it is 3.0, it is an update of 2.0 and thus includes the 'met child' requirement. As for the 2nd, I'm still a bit fuzzy on the per lot settings.

Ste
Field Researcher
#67 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 1:50 PM
Quote:
Last I looked... I think the money goes to the household that the child is in... I wonder then... if the child does not live with either parent, does the controller make them both pay? I'd have to look at the updated version to be sure.

Yes it does, I have a toddler of two vampires living with another relative and both parents pay. The money is paid to the child, not to the other parent.

Ste: How do you handle the meeting of infants issue? Am I right in thinking as long as the father is on the lot for the birth they automatically meet the infant? I think everyone on the lot at birth "meets" the new baby, but I could be wrong...

Field Researcher
#68 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 3:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jorenne
Yes it does, I have a toddler of two vampires living with another relative and both parents pay. The money is paid to the child, not to the other parent.

Thanks for verifying that. I kind of figured that would happen, but I didn't want to say for sure and stick my foot in my mouth. Hehe. Plus, I was just going by what I vaguely remembered from poking around the 1st version.

Quote: Originally posted by Jorenne
Ste: How do you handle the meeting of infants issue? Am I right in thinking as long as the father is on the lot for the birth they automatically meet the infant? I think everyone on the lot at birth "meets" the new baby, but I could be wrong...

I'm not sure how births are handled exactly, as I haven't looked at that particular code, at least not in a long whiles, and even if I did, that was so long ago, it was probably before I understood much (way back when twojeffs first released his trips&quads). I haven't looked at version 2.0 yet, but the way this is usually handled in the code is that there is a flag that is set for relationships. You can see these in the rel. panel, in the form of the friend, best friend, crush, love, etc. As I understand it, there is a flag for acquaintance or just met, or something like that. One of these flags must be the one that sets it so that a sim appears on your rel. panel to begin with.

Now... I vaguely recall discussing this in chat, but I think a sim can be on your family panel but you might not have met them yet, at least with babies. I think that sims on the lot who are family will get a memory of the birth at least. But I don't know if they all automatically 'meet' the child as well. I would probably have to watch a 'live birth' to be sure.

Ok. I took a quick peek at the code, and it looks like all it does is check if the 'Acquaintance' flag is set. I believe this is the flag that makes it so that the sim shows up in the relationship panel when you click on all sims (the infinity sign). I imagine that it may be possible for sims to be flagged as family even if you have not 'met' them yet. I could be wrong about this, because I tend to not notice these things in game. But I have seen family sims show up under family and all, but not friends, for obvious reasons. So I am assuming it is possible.

I also assume that this flag is set whenever two sims interact with each other that have never previously interacted before. So... to get your sim to 'meet' the child, if they do not live in the same household, you probably have to get him to interact with the child somehow. I'm not sure if this is doable for visitors, since some interactions may be disabled with visitors by default. Maybe you can try the 'handing baby to' interaction? I guess this sort of leaves females at a 'disadvantage' because, if the child ever moves out with the father, or if the mother moves out and leaves the child with the father, she will probably always be forced to pay benefits since she automatically meets the child at birth. I wonder what happens if the other parent is a townie or the alien pollinator...

Ste
Test Subject
#69 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 4:23 PM
What a great idea! Thanks so much for coming up with this!!

You can find my lots and other creations on TSR.
Proud member of TSRAA and S2HBAA. :)
Field Researcher
#70 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 5:42 PM
I tried this and they don't auto meet the child if present at birth and I can't find any sure fire way of getting the father to meet an infant child, which is why I wasn't sure I liked the whole "have to have met them" thing in the first place, and having tried it out for a couple of hours I am even less sure I like it now. It seems only residents on the lot get a starting relationship with a new infant, either that or I have some other mod lurking that affects that that I'm not aware of. I may go back to 1.0 I guess, although I did like the idea of the per lot feature.

Field Researcher
#71 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 7:12 PM Last edited by RealHogsFan : 14th Jun 2006 at 7:26 PM.
Question:

Well, I would say the answer should be no.

A real life situation: When I turned 18 and moved out of my dad's house and live on my own, even though i was still in school, mom only had to pay child support for my baby sister, she no longer had to pay it for me because i had decided to try and make it on my own. EDIT: this is based on the fact that i didn't move out of my dads to live with another relative as a minor. I moved out as an adult to live on my own. In that case the family who has custody of the child receives support from both working parents. if a parent doesn't work, well, let's just say, life would me much easier if both parents worked to pay the support.

ok, since i fell down my stairs this morning (i fell down the rocky slope at the lake this past sunday) and injured myself even more than i did on sunday i'm home from work tonight and can't be on my feet so i have no choice but to be on my computer :D, i'm gonna finally get around to playing my game today. so maybe i can come back this evening with my personal experiences with this mod. I'm really looking forward to trying it out, it sounds like it's going to add quite a bit more excitement to my game.

i have a few families that have been seperated due to divorce, and most of the time the mom ended up with the kids and no place to go and very little money. this will be great to get those broken homes back to a livable status.

Edit:
In my upbringing the men of the family were always the breadwinners and the women stayed home and took care of the children and the home. until last month i did that myself for the last decade. so that is why my families always end up with the mom taking the children and not having a job. lots of my sim families are this way. dad works, mom does not.
Test Subject
#72 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 8:09 PM
When you save this do you save it in the config folder or the downloads folder?
Test Subject
#73 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 9:02 PM
Tibbycat - in the Downloads folder.

Meeting the non-resident parent;
Using cheats - If you're an Insimenator user you could just spawn and use the summoner. If you use Christianlov's Easy Phone you could power invite them over. Squinge's Visitors Cribs Enabled mod is good for nappy changing but I'm not sure if the baby/adult gets a met so-and-so memory.
Not using cheats - You could wait until the baby becomes a toddler, have the non-resident parent visit then use the rabbit head toy to get the non-resident parent to 'play with' the toddler.

I've used Version 1 successfully so now I'll try Version 3. Thanks, Monique.
Field Researcher
#74 Old 14th Jun 2006 at 10:39 PM
Sandilou,

thanks for the suggestions but the problem isn't getting the non resident parent onto the lot, it's actually getting them to interact with the infant. Toddlers are easy, one click, ask for attention, but the way I play aging I don't want to miss out the entire babyhood.

For now I'm using the insims quick relations to make mutual aquaintances, but I would so love a more autonomous way if anyone knows of any.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#75 Old 15th Jun 2006 at 12:14 AM
Jorenne, I uploaded v3.A for you.

If you think that $200 is too much you can change it in BCONs using Simpe.

Thanks to all who tested it.

Pls. see my journal for my hacks compatibility. Thanks.
Page 3 of 8