Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 9391 times. | You are currently not a member of this group. Would you like to join it now?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st May 2010 at 7:17 PM Last edited by fthomas : 1st Jun 2013 at 8:03 PM.
Default Models on the runway - size mix or just slim?
What are your opinion on super skinny models?

Do you think that runway models should be bigger, smaller or the same?

Personally I think most runway models aren't critically skinny, but some of desperately need to put on weight. However I do understand that many models are worried that they may not get 'picked' by designers, as models are meant to be like clothes hangers, to let the clothes 'hang' on their body.

I really think that bigger sizes should be seen more on the runway. Too many runway models are too thing, whilst some yes are naturally thin which is fine. But I do think a mixture of body sizes from 6-16 for example should be used, instead of one 'perfect' body type.

What do you guys think?


Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 1:47 PM
Most of them are underweight, and some dangerously so. Yet it's easier to make clothing look more attractive on them than on a larger person, uses less material and I know quite a lot of people that are 'model' skinny in real life, yet do not suffer from any eating disorders and eat a healthy diet - what I do not approve of is the drugs used by many models, that's what's really making them look sick and unhealthy.

cherrycherrycherryboomboom.

Dreamwidth
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 3:20 PM Last edited by fthomas : 1st Jun 2013 at 7:54 PM.
Yeah I agree. I don't think drugs should be used, it's horrible.


Scholar
#4 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 5:02 PM
I hear that in the prep rooms before shows there are sometimes syringes full of heroin just laid out for the models to use. That's disgusting.

cherrycherrycherryboomboom.

Dreamwidth
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 5:53 PM Last edited by fthomas : 1st Jun 2013 at 7:55 PM.
Truly awful.


Inventor
#6 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 5:59 PM
It is horrible, those stick thin models. I know anorexia and bulimia is a disease and messes with your mind, but how could you, looking like that, think you look good? D:

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Scholar
#7 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 8:40 PM
There was an article on the daily mail online, I'll see if I can try to find it.

cherrycherrycherryboomboom.

Dreamwidth
Mad Poster
#8 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 9:12 PM
I just joined to comment, is this group to bash on skinny models or what? As for the question, I don't think its healthy to be like super skinny or be an overweight model, both are setting a bad example. But some girls ARE naturally that skinny and it's wrong to bash on them.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jun 2010 at 10:06 PM Last edited by fthomas : 1st Jun 2013 at 7:58 PM.
Thanks Calline, I would like to see that.

And Izzie, no, this group was not created to bash on skinny models, and I am fully aware that people can be naturally very skinny. I also know that some models have a condition such as anorexia, meaning it is not their fault. This group was created to talk about fashion, and this thread was to talk and debate about whether bigger sized models should be seen on the runway, alongside the naturally thin ones. Not everyone is a size 6.


Inventor
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 11:29 AM
[sarcasm] Yeah. We are the sort of people to just knock people when they are down. [/sarcasm]
Did you see those images, Izzie? I just think it is so sad. I'm not trying to 'bash' them. Just trying to understand.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 12:59 PM Last edited by fthomas : 1st Jun 2013 at 7:56 PM.
Yes, exactly.
Very sorry that you interpreted it that way Dreamydre, I didn't mean to offend anyone but it.


Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 12:13 AM
It's better to be fat than anorexic.. besides, they look HORRIBLE. Who likes an anorexic model, anyway? They're ugly and look like aliens.


ENTJ
Test Subject
#13 Old 11th Aug 2010 at 10:56 AM
Marc Jacobs had a whole load of larger-than-usual models cast in the latest LV show. It was amazing.
Every one in the campaign is perfect as well. Look at Christy Turlington's boobs!

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S0201zZWJMbWcAudGjzbkF/SIG=13020bati/EXP=1281603315/**http%3a//fashiontribes.typepad.com/.a/6a00d834515e6669e2013485306a98970c-550wi[/IMG]
Scholar
#14 Old 11th Aug 2010 at 2:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaster
It's better to be fat than anorexic.. besides, they look HORRIBLE. Who likes an anorexic model, anyway? They're ugly and look like aliens.


Sorry, but I disagree. It's most definitely not better to be fat, it's just as bad. There are just as many health risks and self-image issues, if not even more.

cherrycherrycherryboomboom.

Dreamwidth
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 11th Aug 2010 at 11:38 PM
Not THAT fat! lol


ENTJ
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 12:46 AM
I understand the diseases but once you think about it sometimes it is the companies fault. Telling the models they need to lose so many pounds to keep thier job. That annoys me saying your not skinny enough to be a model. I wish some person would just take some random people of all sizes into a photo shoot and use them in magazines. I know this is mostly about regualr height models but I have noticed alot of petite models are normal weight so I guess the pressure to be way too skinny is not as high as the taller models since more people look at the regular height ones.
Test Subject
#17 Old 12th Aug 2010 at 6:59 AM
The first girl is scarily skinny

I'm a model (gets me pocket money!) and in some cases, people model because they are naturally skinny. Example, I was scouted because I'm naturally tall and skinny, and have a nice face and long hair. Some people are just born skinny (but not that skinny!). I wear a 00, but I am only 13. People are always saying, "You should eat more! You're so skinny!". First off, I eat healthily and regularly pig out, but I dance 10 hours a week, karate for 3 hours, and running 5 hours. I work ALL my food off. I guess some people are just like that. I guess they get anorexia when the casting director says they have to "lose 5 pounds." It happened to me, I'm 13 years old, 5"7 and weigh 90 pounds. I'm not even in my healthy BMI (Mind you, I'm still growing.) I told her to piss off, and walked out on her. (It was a great moment for me, haha)
Test Subject
#18 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 6:31 AM
Default Take it from me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calline
I hear that in the prep rooms before shows there are sometimes syringes full of heroin just laid out for the models to use. That's disgusting.


I know for a fact that there is no syringes in prep rooms.. For you all to get the inside knowledge (i'm a real model in NY and LA) the prep rooms before the shows are full of people just getting their hair and makeup done. Models texting on their phones and eating yes eating! I know that most agencies you get in trouble if you have a eating disorder and they make sure that you dont have one. I know that I just have to eat healthy and work out. Thats what most models do to stay skiny.. Oh and BTW I haven't met one model yet who is unhealthy skiny or has a disorder.
The reason why they want models so skiny is because they can sell the clothes better. If a model has boobs and a butt the guys (and some girls) are going to be checking out the models rather then the clothing. The clothing is the most important look thats why we always have a pissed off look on our face while walking down the runway because we can't draw to much attention to ourselves.. of course there are the designers that want lots of curves on their models and thats fine they rock for that but i know they do not want any starving models to be in their show... btw more times then not there is food behind the set and we do eat... and we like it!!!!
And tell me this.. if you can make $2,300 for one runway show a night would you become skinny? I know I would, because the payment of walking your skinny butt down the runway with a pissed off face is a lot better then sitting on my butt all day at a dead end job for 8 hours every day! Thats all.. now that you guys heared it from a real model, maybe you will stop believing what everyone else is saying. 10 out of 100 models might have a disorder.. but the media only shows them, not us the healthy girls.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 4:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvague
I know for a fact that there is no syringes in prep rooms.. For you all to get the inside knowledge (i'm a real model in NY and LA) the prep rooms before the shows are full of people just getting their hair and makeup done. Models texting on their phones and eating yes eating! I know that most agencies you get in trouble if you have a eating disorder and they make sure that you dont have one. I know that I just have to eat healthy and work out. Thats what most models do to stay skiny.. Oh and BTW I haven't met one model yet who is unhealthy skiny or has a disorder.
The reason why they want models so skiny is because they can sell the clothes better. If a model has boobs and a butt the guys (and some girls) are going to be checking out the models rather then the clothing. The clothing is the most important look thats why we always have a pissed off look on our face while walking down the runway because we can't draw to much attention to ourselves.. of course there are the designers that want lots of curves on their models and thats fine they rock for that but i know they do not want any starving models to be in their show... btw more times then not there is food behind the set and we do eat... and we like it!!!!
And tell me this.. if you can make $2,300 for one runway show a night would you become skinny? I know I would, because the payment of walking your skinny butt down the runway with a pissed off face is a lot better then sitting on my butt all day at a dead end job for 8 hours every day! Thats all.. now that you guys heared it from a real model, maybe you will stop believing what everyone else is saying. 10 out of 100 models might have a disorder.. but the media only shows them, not us the healthy girls.

Thanks for the info! Actually it was really interesting reading what you said. I never knew that. Well, I figured, but... whatever lol


ENTJ
Mad Poster
#20 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 4:43 AM
If they don't want to distract from the clothes, stick it on a hanger. Don't pressure girls into becoming skinny so they can look so pretty wearing these clothes. Plus, why is all the pressure to be skinny directed onto female models? From what I've seen, there aren't many tiny male models. Or are they just portraying society's ideals?
Top Secret Researcher
DELETED POST
Original Poster
27th Sep 2010 at 8:13 PM Last edited by fthomas : 7th Mar 2011 at 4:20 PM.
This message has been deleted by fthomas.
 
Back to top