Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 3:52 PM
Default Old abandoned buildings in your city/village
Hey HHS'ers.

I live in small village with a lot of old houses. Basicly 85% of the village exsits of old homes, and sadly, there's a fair amount of abandoned ones, too.
I went to my favorites and took a few pictures of a collapsed barn and a big farm.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 9:43 PM
Wow! it's truly stunning in all its decadence and yet it still feels quite elegant too.
This is a really good idea for a thread too; well done.
While the houses in my area back home are mostly historic very few, if any, are abandoned. And also, I'm not there to take pictures of the ones I can think of right now. But up here in Lincoln, I fell in love with an abandoned one just the other day. It's a stunning Victorian home; possibly 1880's/1890's, and I believe it was most recently used as commercial premises.
Screenshots
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 4:31 PM
What a lovely Victorian. Houses like that are very rare here, but we have a lot of Classic Cape Cod-ish and Colonial/Federal homes here, which are beautiful, too

#4 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 10:54 PM
I just remembered about Moat House, a house that is empty as far as I know. It's currently having its grounds used for storage of equipment being used to repair the castle walls behind it. It's such a gorgeous old place, not aspect of it is entirely square or straight either. It's kind of pentagonal shaped. I wouldn't mind living in it because of the views that you would get of the city from its balcony. You can see it here on google streetview. I love going for walks around that area of the city at night with some friends. We've even got a house up there to live in next year sorted.
Screenshots
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Mar 2014 at 8:44 PM
Friday is my day off. When the weather is right I'll go and take pictures of the entrance side of the farm house, and 2 other houses. One of them almost directly next to the barn and the other one an overgrown park and a Steinhaus from the farm

#6 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 7:18 PM
If you're interested, I think you might appreciate a website called Ghosts of North Dakota, it features photos of abandoned structures and towns all across ND.
Scholar
#7 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 7:24 PM
I finally got around to photographing one of my favourite houses in the fair old city of Lincoln which I thought was abandoned but now I'm not so sure. I think it's had a lot of work carried out on it, the one next door to it was abandoned and has had a lot of work done to it although I don't think it has nearly as many period features left in it as the one I'm interested in. I would love to own and restore it, some nights I've walked by it and see lights on in it, the stained glass on the sash windows looks gorgeous when illuminated. :lovestruc
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 6:22 PM
Couldn't help posting this link here from our local newspaper.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/pict...pictures.html#1

Its better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that
you're stupid, than to open it and remove all doubt.
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 10:17 PM
I must admit that I've never really thought much about Stoke-on-Trent as having any great historical architecture. I've only ever known it for its' Pottery and its streets of derelict terraces. I'll certainly look into it a bit more having seen those wonderful buildings.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Feb 2017 at 6:09 PM
Bump. After 2 years!
@Fergus' Mind
@cutsocks
@attuned
I thought it might interest you.

I finally got to get inside this home and oh my!

Interior pictures

There are a few pics missing which will be added soon.

#11 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 2:51 AM
Oh my Johnny- the newel posts, the parquet floor... so lovely.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Alchemist
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Feb 2017 at 2:15 PM
I always felt kind of intimidated everytime I roamed around the home, but after being inside I love it even more, even though I'm a little let down by the upper floor..attic..hybrid. I've been in serveral homes with this type of upper floors, but those homes were way smaller. It would make a nice man-cave though.

The pocket doors is where I've spent most of the time, drooling and carefully closing and opening them. Pure eyegasm

#13 Old 10th Feb 2017 at 3:48 PM
That's so cool! So many great little architectural details too! What a dream it would be to restore such a place! If I ever get to see functional pocket-sliding doors in my life I shall find it very difficult to leave them be. :lovestruc
Alchemist
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Mar 2019 at 1:19 PM
So, I'm bumping, again after 2 years
But they're currently working on the farmhouse I showed you guys, including the park next to it. From what I've heard it'll either become a B&B, or apartments. Though one of the main investors has a great taste and respect for classical styles, so I'm not really worried about what'll happen to the original interior features

#15 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 7:52 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 6th Aug 2022 at 8:10 AM.
Johnny, how about allowing buildings that are not in one's own locale? I mean, these threads are dead, and limiting this one to one's own locale is not going to result in many posts.

For example, I came across this neat old house by chance on the 'net: https://www.flickr.com/photos/auvet...in/photostream/
The location is the corner of US HWY 431 and Cherry Street, in Eufaula, Alabama.

Looks very similar in style to the TV series Munster House.

This street level picture from Google Earth, dated June 2022, seems to show a current renovation effort going on.