Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 1:54 PM
Default A big, functional mall. Do's and Dont's
Hey folks.
I've previously built myself some malls and stuff for sims 3, but always find that I could have made them better, etc. And I'm kinda afraid to mess things up.
So, I hope I can ask some Qs here, maybe you guys know.

Can I use rabbit-hole-rugs inside a lot? Will there be any issues if there is a rabbit hole rug in the same lot as a sales vendor etc or arcade?

Can I use multiple rabbit hole rugs on one lot? Will there be any issues if I use for example a cinema rug and a spa/book rug in the same lot?

Are there any functional escalators in this game? or as CC? (or just some that function as stairs atleast?)

What are the best types of cash registers for a mall? I can never figure out which cash register spawns what type of stuff to sell/buy and I always end up choosing the wrong one.

Can I have more than one cash register in a lot? Or will there be any issues?

Is there something that I should NOT have on the lot, that might be tempting - but will make it bugged?

Are there any mods that might be helpful on the mall lots? I have a bunch of nraas mods, but I mostly keep them just in the background to get rid of minor bugs.

Does anyone know anyone that does CC for sims 3 that might be useful for big lots like malls and stuff?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 3:13 PM
These are complicated questions, and if you ask 2 prople you are likely to get 2 different answers.

What RH rugs to use together can almost be a science project of it own. Some people even make lots and puts the game RH in the basement. As long as the sims can reach them all it should be fine.

There is a thread somewhere, perhaps in the caw forum, about peoples different experiences with RH lots. Perhaps you should go there instead.

I'm on my phone, but I will be on my comp later. Perhaps someone else will contribute before then. Anyways good luck.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
These are complicated questions, and if you ask 2 prople you are likely to get 2 different answers.

What RH rugs to use together can almost be a science project of it own. Some people even make lots and puts the game RH in the basement. As long as the sims can reach them all it should be fine.

There is a thread somewhere, perhaps in the caw forum, about peoples different experiences with RH lots. Perhaps you should go there instead.

I'm on my phone, but I will be on my comp later. Perhaps someone else will contribute before then. Anyways good luck.

Thanks, I will check the CAW forum!
Scholar
#4 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 5:58 PM Last edited by lucy kemnitzer : 5th Feb 2021 at 5:59 PM. Reason: typo
@nitromon is a big mall builder, hopefully he'll see this thread. In general, I think all of the things you mention are possible. I think the only thing to look out for is finding the sweet spot where you can give the impression of a lot going on, and give your sims plenty to do, without overwhelming your particular computer. Computers seem to be idiosyncratic & relatively unpredictable about what they can & can't handle in Sims 3.

One approach might be to start with a more empty lot, especially with fewer heavily functional items, and keep adding things while testing as you go along. Or the opposite: fully load your mall with your whole wish list, & prune it if you have to.

As for escalators: here you go.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
@nitromon is a big mall builder, hopefully he'll see this thread. In general, I think all of the things you mention are possible. I think the only thing to look out for is finding the sweet spot where you can give the impression of a lot going on, and give your sims plenty to do, without overwhelming your particular computer. Computers seem to be idiosyncratic & relatively unpredictable about what they can & can't handle in Sims 3.

One approach might be to start with a more empty lot, especially with fewer heavily functional items, and keep adding things while testing as you go along. Or the opposite: fully load your mall with your whole wish list, & prune it if you have to.

As for escalators: here you go.

Thanks lucy!! I was even at ATS earlier to check, but I must have missed it! :3 Much appreciated.

So far my computer hasn't been overwhelmed by my sims 3 shenanigans. Althought I usually do small/mid worlds and all that anyway.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 6th Feb 2021 at 2:43 PM
If you have it, the Sims 3 Store's Savvy Seller Set can help you create different kinds of stores in a mall, including if you want to run stores in it. Also, if you have it, Ani_'s Savvier Seller mod can do the same, with additional features, and her Shop For Clothes (if you do not have Into The Future) and her Shop For Clothes Pedestal (if you have ITF) mods can also help build a mall, including if you want clothing stores in it.

I use Savvy Seller and Ani_'s Shop For Clothes Pedestal, along the WA registers and Ani_'s other mod, the Business As Unusual Bistro (you need the Sims 3 Store's Business As Usual Bistro to use it), to build malls in my game, and I have been successful building them because of them.

Note: You can also use the Business As Usual Bistro and/or Ani_'s Business As Unusual Bistro if you would like to have open restaurants in a mall.

Good luck with building your malls! :-)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 3:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by magdalenepoet
If you have it, the Sims 3 Store's Savvy Seller Set can help you create different kinds of stores in a mall, including if you want to run stores in it. Also, if you have it, Ani_'s Savvier Seller mod can do the same, with additional features, and her Shop For Clothes (if you do not have Into The Future) and her Shop For Clothes Pedestal (if you have ITF) mods can also help build a mall, including if you want clothing stores in it.

I use Savvy Seller and Ani_'s Shop For Clothes Pedestal, along the WA registers and Ani_'s other mod, the Business As Unusual Bistro (you need the Sims 3 Store's Business As Usual Bistro to use it), to build malls in my game, and I have been successful building them because of them.

Note: You can also use the Business As Usual Bistro and/or Ani_'s Business As Unusual Bistro if you would like to have open restaurants in a mall.

Good luck with building your malls! :-)

Wow!! That is a huge mall! Whoa. I'm amazed.
Mine weren't actually _that_ big, haha.

My latest was built like an amfi. I had only one cash register I think, and one of those, uh the summer-food stall from Seasons, a small gym, uhh and some "fake" stores (like a PC store etc but no chairs so PCs couldn't be used.)

I actually miiiiight have Anis Savvy seller mod? (I'll check on that anwyay). I remember getting a few mods to tweak and enhance the functionality of those bakery displays and all that EA garbage, lol.

I'm def getting the cinema RH rug in the mall then, and maybe a spa/bookstore thing too. Seems logical.
WIll having a bar in the mall work? (the dive bar for example)?
Screenshots
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#9 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 8:58 PM Last edited by fascisthater : 7th Feb 2021 at 9:09 PM.
I created a mall here.

It does not use rabbit hole rugs only the book/food registers from World Adventures. The food stands from Seasons. The coffee bar from University. The other registers are the decorative ones from ambitions. "WIll having a bar in the mall work? (the dive bar for example)?" The bar is from Late Night.

As nitromon stated, it is better to use a lot type without set close times like Hangout. You can use the Savvy Sellers/Pet Store registers I think if you have them. The store theater ticket machine/gates would probably also work but I did not use them in mine.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 5:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
I created a mall here.

It does not use rabbit hole rugs only the book/food registers from World Adventures. The food stands from Seasons. The coffee bar from University. The other registers are the decorative ones from ambitions. "WIll having a bar in the mall work? (the dive bar for example)?" The bar is from Late Night.

As nitromon stated, it is better to use a lot type without set close times like Hangout. You can use the Savvy Sellers/Pet Store registers I think if you have them. The store theater ticket machine/gates would probably also work but I did not use them in mine.

Oh yes, good point! The bar will bring with it a opening/closed time, oof. Then I'm better off without that for sure.
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#11 Old 8th Feb 2021 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cobalt sparrow
Oh yes, good point! The bar will bring with it a opening/closed time, oof. Then I'm better off without that for sure.

Sorry for confusion. I meant that the bar I placed in my mall was from Late Night and is OK to place in a lot type with no set closing hours like Hangout/Visitors Allowed. The person operating/managing the bar may leave at a certain time but sims are still able to visit the lot. Same with the WA registers.

The replicators from Into The Future generate some staff that don't seem to ever leave a lot.

The registers that may be lot dependent(Elixir/Consignment) are the ones that may cause issues if placed on any other lot besides the specific elixir/consignment lot type -from what I have read in some forums.

As I previously mentioned, there are some store items that can make your lot seem more functional than just decorative or rabbitholes. I guess all of this depends on how "functional" you want the lot to be and how well your computer runs such a large lot.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 13th Feb 2021 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cobalt sparrow
Wow!! That is a huge mall! Whoa. I'm amazed.
Mine weren't actually _that_ big, haha.

My latest was built like an amfi. I had only one cash register I think, and one of those, uh the summer-food stall from Seasons, a small gym, uhh and some "fake" stores (like a PC store etc but no chairs so PCs couldn't be used.)

I actually miiiiight have Anis Savvy seller mod? (I'll check on that anwyay). I remember getting a few mods to tweak and enhance the functionality of those bakery displays and all that EA garbage, lol.

I'm def getting the cinema RH rug in the mall then, and maybe a spa/bookstore thing too. Seems logical.
WIll having a bar in the mall work? (the dive bar for example)?

Having a bar in the mall may work or not work; I have not had a bar in my malls, so I cannot attest to whether it would work or not for myself. Other people may have experience with that, so they would be more helpful with this aspect of mall making.

And yes, I have quite a few of the mods that enhance and strengthen how functional the EA Store stuff is too. They really do help enhance how the EA Store stuff works, making the game more enjoyable.

Note: To be able to use Ani's Savvier Seller mod, you need to have the EA Sims 3 Store's Savvy Seller Set.

And not all of my malls are big; I do have at least one little mall in my game. But I agree that a really huge mall would be needed to accommodate any store that can be thought of! lol

Good luck with building your malls!