Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2023 at 4:00 PM
Default Adding Detail to channel/images for pattern making
I have made a few simple patterns with just three 'flat' colors. Now I am trying to wrap my head around how to add texture/depth/detail to those colors. Attached is my inspiration pic. How would I do the darker veins in the acanthus leaf (golden yellow color) and still be able to manipulate the other assigned colors independently in game? I don't know if that made sense -- basically I want to have shading/highlights in each color channel.

If I understand channels correctly (and that is a BIG IF), any shading (i.e. gray) in channel mask allows some percentage of an underlying (overlying???) color to come thru. If that understanding is correct, then shading can not be added independent of other channels. I hope I am wrong, because that seems so limiting.

Thank you for any insight you can give.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 4:00 AM
This probably doesn't answer the whole question , but it will probably help. I had thought that Simlicious had done a start-t-o-finish pattern tutorial, but can't find it.

https://simlicious.tumblr.com/post/...o-wait-its-just --using the channels to make darker and lighter areas
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
This probably doesn't answer the whole question , but it will probably help. I had thought that Simlicious had done a start-t-o-finish pattern tutorial, but can't find it.

https://simlicious.tumblr.com/post/...o-wait-its-just --using the channels to make darker and lighter areas

Thank you for the insight. I will check it out. ... though this separation stuff might convince me to go back to SIMS 2 where I have a clue.

Edit: After checking out Simlicious's patterns, I think I can forego making my own. She has more beautiful ones than I could ever manage. Thank you for link.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Scholar
#4 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 7:15 AM
There are types of patterns she hasn't done though!