Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2023 at 7:33 PM
Default Alpha channel not working properly on accessory
I'm converting a Shining Nikki earring, using mesh and texture extracted from the game.
The issue is that in game, the alpha in the chain part is all black, while in TSRW it seems fine.

What am I doing wrong?
Screenshots

I'm bad at finding CC on my own
My simblr
I'm shy and so I might take longer to reply you '-'
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bellakenobi
I'm converting a Shining Nikki earring, using mesh and texture extracted from the game.
The issue is that in game, the alpha in the chain part is all black, while in TSRW it seems fine.

What am I doing wrong?

What shader are you using? And, are you using a transparency map?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
What shader are you using? And, are you using a transparency map?

I'm not using any shader since in the material editor the shader meny is grayed out? (Edit: don't know if this is because I'm using the basegame pendant earring as base or what)

And I'm using a transparency map, but to be honest I don't know if I did it right It's my first time dealing with CAS parts that aren't hair so I'm a little lost '-'

(here's a screenshot of my transparency map since I couldn't upload it)
Screenshots

My simblr
Forum Resident
#4 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 5:32 PM
I'm not using any shader since in the material editor the shader meny is grayed out? (Edit: don't know if this is because I'm using the basegame pendant earring as base or what)

And I'm using a transparency map, but to be honest I don't know if I did it right It's my first time dealing with CAS parts that aren't hair so I'm a little lost '-'

(here's a screenshot of my transparency map since I couldn't upload it)

The shader is important. Example: SimSkin shader is a solid shader, used for most garment items. A certain level of "transparency" can be achieved by reducing the alpha of the multiplier. Basically the same as using erase at a low amount.

Other shaders, such as SimHair shader, allow for transparency. It appears to me that the diffuse map of hair, is basically acting as a transparency map. I play with hair, but am not hair expert, and if that is wrong, please say! )))

Transparency maps are also used with specific transparency shaders. I have only a few items that use a transparency map, but they are buried in my files somewhere. This is the shader from the ITF roses dress... 0xDC077A45 (3691477573). It uses a map, but the map does not show in my TSRW. It does show if you make a package using s3oc.

I have not bbeen able to replace the shader for garments in TSRW, the way objects can be done. If anyone else knows how to do this, please let us know. The way I replace shaders is to make the package, open in s3pe, highlight the geom, open GRID, and either use a shader from the drop down menu, or copy/ paste the one I need.

At this point, the package will work, using that shader... but that info is not in the TSRW file. So an extra step that I take, is to then import the package to TSRW and save it as a TSRW file, AND make a new package.

As for your transparency map... is that the map? I never used the TSRW image editor, so not sure about it... but generally, for a transparency map, white is solid, shades of gray are varying transparencies, and black is full transparency. It's possible that the shader is ok as is, and all you need to do is make the open areas black for it to work.

Also, here are Delpy's tools... here on MTS. The geom tool can replace shaders.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
I have not bbeen able to replace the shader for garments in TSRW, the way objects can be done. If anyone else knows how to do this, please let us know. The way I replace shaders is to make the package, open in s3pe, highlight the geom, open GRID, and either use a shader from the drop down menu, or copy/ paste the one I need.

At this point, the package will work, using that shader... but that info is not in the TSRW file. So an extra step that I take, is to then import the package to TSRW and save it as a TSRW file, AND make a new package.

As for your transparency map... is that the map? I never used the TSRW image editor, so not sure about it... but generally, for a transparency map, white is solid, shades of gray are varying transparencies, and black is full transparency. It's possible that the shader is ok as is, and all you need to do is make the open areas black for it to work.

Turns out the issue was the shader, I did as you mentioned and changed it on S3PE to the hair one, and it finally worked! Thank you so much

Before that I also had edited my transparency map (after my post I found out that it should also have no alpha channel), but doing only that without changing the shader did nothing to it.
Screenshots

My simblr
Forum Resident
#6 Old 29th Jan 2023 at 11:09 PM
Turns out the issue was the shader, I did as you mentioned and changed it on S3PE to the hair one, and it finally worked! Thank you so much

Before that I also had edited my transparency map (after my post I found out that it should also have no alpha channel), but doing only that without changing the shader did nothing to it.

Great! Glad it works. )))