Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 3:23 AM
Default Mod downloads as the 2019 version instead of the 2022 version for some people
For some people, https://modthesims.info/d/603546/ra...spirations.html still downloads as the 2019 (broken) version of the mod, even months after it was updated. For these people, there seems to be no way of getting the current version. We (at the discord support server I do mod support for) have even had people use a VPN and a different browser at the same time, and they still got the 2019 version. It's not good to have to tell people they can't use a mod because it won't download correctly for them, but it downloads the correct version for other people.

It's not one or two people. It's not them lying or doing something wrong. It's just not working for them. And it makes no sense.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 5:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by amethyst111
For some people, https://modthesims.info/d/603546/ra...spirations.html still downloads as the 2019 (broken) version of the mod, even months after it was updated. For these people, there seems to be no way of getting the current version. We (at the discord support server I do mod support for) have even had people use a VPN and a different browser at the same time, and they still got the 2019 version. It's not good to have to tell people they can't use a mod because it won't download correctly for them, but it downloads the correct version for other people.

It's not one or two people. It's not them lying or doing something wrong. It's just not working for them. And it makes no sense.

Hello amethyst111
I went to your link and downloaded the Sims4 mod and had no issues.

Please remove your first download of this item (probably back in 2019) from your download folder to your desktop, then download the latest version of the mod and do a screen dump (like mine) to see what it shows.
The other suggestion I have, is to make sure Sims4 game is patched up-to-date - although it is unlikely this should affect the download.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 5:39 AM
I am not having an issue downloading the updated version. I've tried, on multiple occasions, and I always get the right version. The issue is coming from other people, who we tell to delete the version they have, and then they still end up with the 2019 version in their downloads. I have no idea how it's even possible, but it's happened to too many people for it to all be the exact same user error. It doesn't make any sense at all that some people get the right version and some don't. And it only seems to happen with this mod. I'd say the site was cached except the mod was updated in August.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#4 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 10:19 AM
Hi there,

Is it possible that people are getting confused because of the readme? In the zip file that downloads (5,988 bytes size) there is a readme.txt which is dated 16/02/2019 and contains information about version 2.1. For reference, the .ts4script in the zip file matches the one as noted in the X-Ray at 10,741 bytes and the date (06/08/2022). I've tested as multiple users, both incognito and not and via command line, and always get the same zip file.

The most up to date link, btw, for the file, is https://chii.modthesims.info/getfil...27&v=1659796082 - the version on the end can be converted to a date using epoch time, which translates to GMT: Saturday, August 6, 2022 2:28:02 PM. So we know that the link presented on the site is correct.

I guess that the creator updated the .ts4script but never actually updated the readme and this is confusing people.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 4:41 PM
When we look at the date, we're looking at the script file. The picture in my first post is of the script the user had just downloaded.

The next time it happens, I'll see if we can get the direct link the person is able to access. That could be today, or it could be in a month.

I know it does work for almost everyone, but I'm honestly mystified as to what happens with this file for certain people.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#6 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 7:49 PM
Yeah I don't know either. Getting exact URLs would be very helpful.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Dec 2022 at 3:27 AM
The link, from someone who downloaded today, from someone who did not previously have the mod downloaded: https://chii.modthesims.info/getfil...27&v=1659796082

(The right link)

The actual contents of the zip in the picture
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 21st Dec 2022 at 10:51 AM
I think the issue is One Drive. The first image shows the users folder as One Drive, which is the backup folder. That is not the file path for the game. They need to disable One Drive.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Dec 2022 at 7:06 PM
Yesterday's person did not have the mod previously. They downloaded it specifically to see which version they would get. This has happened to many separate people, over the months since the mod was updated.

I am aware of the issues with OneDrive.

I'll just go back to telling people to delete the mod if they can't get the correct version.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#10 Old 21st Dec 2022 at 7:11 PM Last edited by Tashiketh : 21st Dec 2022 at 8:08 PM.
I was just able to reproduce this so I'll check into it.

Actually no, not.

Okay so here's the thing:
- If I look on the filesystem directly, I see a file 1825427.attach of size 5988 bytes
- Looking inside this file directly on the server I see:

Code:
7-Zip [64] 16.02 : Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Igor Pavlov : 2016-05-21
p7zip Version 16.02 (locale=C.UTF-8,Utf16=on,HugeFiles=on,64 bits,16 CPUs AMD EPYC 7402P 24-Core Processor                (830F10),ASM,AES-NI)

Scanning the drive for archives:
1 file, 5988 bytes (6 KiB)

Listing archive: 1825427.attach

--
Path = 1825427.attach
Type = zip Physical Size = 5988

Date      Time    Attr         Size   Compressed  Name
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2019-02-17 10:55:44 ....A        10741         5132  graycurse_random_traits_and_aspirations.ts4script
2019-02-16 17:15:02 ....A         1068          492  readme.txt
------------------- ----- ------------ ------------  ------------------------
2019-02-17 10:55:44              11809         5624  2 files

Looking at it with "unzip" shows me something else:

Code:
Archive:  1825427.attach
 Length   Method    Size  Cmpr    Date    Time   CRC-32   Name
--------  ------  ------- ---- ---------- ----- --------  ----
   10741  Defl:N     5132  52% 2022-08-06 10:23 ae73b5a2  graycurse_random_traits_and_aspirations.ts4script
    1068  Defl:N      492  54% 2019-02-16 12:15 fbf7966f  readme.txt
--------          -------  ---                            -------
   11809             5624  52%                            2 files

When I view or extract it in Windows, and view it in 7zip, I get the same different dates:

I'm not sure what's going on here but I'm fairly sure it's not a server bug, since examining the file *on* the server shows me the same thing, depending on which zip utility I use.