Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#12226 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 8:17 PM
I would like a mattress mod, too; it's the reason why I started using Lord Darcy's same (and higher) energy for all beds. I realized that I was never going to use about half of the beds in the catalog because of the energy rating. I used the same 4-5 beds all the time, maybe less, even though I had some nice looking custom beds or I might want to use the FFS theme beds. The energy and comfort gain vs a different bed made it not worth it. And then, while I appreciated that poor sims had to raise money to buy more expensive stuff, what really happened was that everyone would upgrade to the same 2 or 3 beds. So yeah, definitely interested.

But would you really need to separate the mattress and the frame? Like, if a game were being designed from scratch, yeah, that'd make sense, but considering how old TS2 is and the amount of custom beds already out there, wouldn't it be easier and more "feasible" to have a controller that could detect the beds, either on a per room basis or on an individual, per bed basis, and adjust the comfort and energy rating to whatever the user wanted? I put feasible in quotes there because I'm not actually sure if that would be possible, if you could change comfort/energy rating in live mode, after the item is placed, etc. Otherwise, yeah, I suppose you could separate the bed frame and the mattress, the latter which would include the bedding part--wait, omg, would doing that break all the bedding recolors out there?!

Hmm, maybe you don't have to do so much to the old/maxis beds. Maybe you just need the mattress part with the bedding, and that would sit on top of existing beds, and blend in with them. That way the animations would be in the right place and users could click on that, instead of the bed?

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Advertisement
Alchemist
#12227 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
But would you really need to separate the mattress and the frame? Like, if a game were being designed from scratch, yeah, that'd make sense, but considering how old TS2 is and the amount of custom beds already out there, wouldn't it be easier and more "feasible" to have a controller that could detect the beds, either on a per room basis or on an individual, per bed basis, and adjust the comfort and energy rating to whatever the user wanted? I put feasible in quotes there because I'm not actually sure if that would be possible, if you could change comfort/energy rating in live mode, after the item is placed, etc. Otherwise, yeah, I suppose you could separate the bed frame and the mattress, the latter which would include the bedding part--wait, omg, would doing that break all the bedding recolors out there?!

Hmm, maybe you don't have to do so much to the old/maxis beds. Maybe you just need the mattress part with the bedding, and that would sit on top of existing beds, and blend in with them. That way the animations would be in the right place and users could click on that, instead of the bed?
That would be ideal, but as far as I know, it's not possible, which is why people were thinking of separate beds/mattresses. It wouldn't break the recolors. The way I was thinking of doing it would repository the decorative frames to the original beds, and including a couple frameless mattresses with different energy/comfort values. But it's so much work, and you'd have to have duplicate meshes for every Maxis bed etc. I also thought about putting a mattress on top of the current bed, but then you have clipping, clicking issues, issues with the Sim autonomously choosing the bed with the frame to sleep in instead of the top mattress...
just a girl
#12228 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
The way I was thinking of doing it would repository the decorative frames to the original beds, and including a couple frameless mattresses with different energy/comfort values

That's what I was thinking as well.

Now I'm thinking it might be easier (to make and to use) if we modify the BHAVs that are responsible for motive changes while sims sleep and/or relax (can be found in bed globals). We could make it so that they don't look directly at the bed's constants for motive values, but instead use something that can be adjusted in game, like semi-attributes. Adding two new semi-attributes for energy and comfort and storing values in them would be a tidy way of doing it, although, such a mod will conflict with other mods, that add new attributes to bed globals (I don't know if there are many of them). Not that BHAV override isn't a possible conflict, but semi-attributes are a bit more universal and have a bigger chance to be used by other mods then a tiny BHAV that changes motives. Anyway, it's doable. How do we go about upgrading those values to represent better mattress? Adding a new interaction on all beds is not an option, there are too many of them including custom ones. We could create a separate object as a middleman, make an interaction for it that will look for a nearest bed and update it's semi-attributes. (By saying "we" I don't mean "let's do it right now, you and me" I mean we as a modding community.) Well, that's roughly my idea of how we could make it work. Take it if you want. There are details that need some more thinking through and investigating. Like, how to best set semi-attributes to their initial values. First, via Init function, but also to include a double check in that motive changing BHAV to make sure those attributes are not blank when they're needed. The cleanup function would need an update as well, I think. I'm probably missing a few other things that will come up in the process. I wasn't planning on laying it all out here, it just happened ))
Alchemist
#12229 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 10:11 PM
Yeah, I was wondering if you would need to disable the old beds; you would probably need to disable autonomy at least. I suppose you could make the mattress part of beds invisble, too, but idk. I know I could live with a little clipping.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
just a girl
#12230 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 10:32 PM
There's also a way without using semi-attributes. Better way maybe. Let's say we create an object, call it "upgraded mattress". We make it invisible in live mode or invisible recolor or something like that. In game, we buy it and place it near a bed or on a bed. Then, when a BHAV is about to update sleeping sim's motives it checks for this upgraded mattress thing first. If it finds it, it gives a sim a specified amount of energy and comfort (specified by this new object, I mean). If it doesn't - it looks into default BCON value for that bed. There could be a few diffent buyable "mattresses", ranging from cheap to expensive.
Alchemist
#12231 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
That's what I was thinking as well.

Now I'm thinking it might be easier (to make and to use) if we modify the BHAVs that are responsible for motive changes while sims sleep and/or relax (can be found in bed globals). <snip>

Hmm, these ideas sound promising. I'll look into it.
just a girl
#12232 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 10:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Hmm, these ideas sound promising. I'll look into it.

Good luck!
I think I like the second idea better, it requires less overrides.
Mad Poster
#12233 Old 19th Sep 2021 at 11:42 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 20th Sep 2021 at 3:28 AM. Reason: typos
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight on 6th September 2021
@AndrewGloria, yes, that's what I meant, that toddlers don't show up as visitors while your current playable is at a community lot. I don't think there's any mod that does that, though I think there's some Chris Hatch mods that come close. He has playgroup one that, iirc, lets you simulate a daycare or, well, playgroup, and I believe other toddlers enrolled in it can be present at drop off. But it's been a while since I read the read me.

And I totally get not wanting to update or mess with your game setup when you've finally got it to work just right! But remember that there are often updates to mods, too. Is there a particular one (or ones) that you're worried about? Maybe we can help you find updated versions or alternatives. I think you might like some of the later EP features and Pets is a pretty good one to start with. Or honestly maybe AL would even better if you're hesitant about adding too many new features or changing things too much. Because it's main features are apartments and magic, you could easily ignore both, if you're not ready for those yet, while still being able to utilize the most updated/recent mods. Unlike some EPs, AL doesn't really introduce a lot of new want panel spam, so your sims should feel much the same. But I think you would enjoy having your playables be apartment neighbors and hanging out in the background. Plus there's some cool new items (like the dog pen and playground objects), and I'd think you would like the social townies and their gestures, too. There's even a mod that lets playables use the gestures autonomously, so they can belong to the different groups. And I like the reputation system--I know some simmers aren't too keen on it, but I think it adds a nice element to socializing, and the perks for being good are great. Between that and outings, sims can actually be socialites. It's something to consider anyway, though probably a discussion for another thread.

Anyway, your newspaper business sounds nice. I was thinking of doing that once, and had went hunting for mods, which is why I remembered it. I was toying with using the write article feature from Monique's computer as well, to help make money. I also think there's a typewriter in PCSims' law set that gives money when working at it. And newspapers have photographers, too. While it's not as fluid as in TS3, you could make a sim lug around the camera career reward and take pictures, or do ones for interviews and profile pieces.

About the YA marriage thing--Jo mentioned that in another thread. Doesn't the hacked wedding arch (or the global versions) do that? It doesn't grow sims up/move them in, but they should be able to get married. (Marhis original, Midgethetree global version, Veetie global version.) Or you could check out the mod Lamare has in testing here.

Sorry for being so slow in replying. You obviously put a lot of thought into this, and you deserve a properly thought out reply.

As for toddlers on community lots I can certainly live without them appearing autonomously. I still wonder if I ought to be able to make my own version of DickHurt's mod that didn't need or deal with pets. I can't help feeling that, as a one-time programmer, I ought to be able to come to grips with Simantics scripting. As for them appearing autonomously, for the moment I'll content myself with watching the antics of the real live ones I see.

The most important of the issues I raised to me is marriage while at university. I intend to play university really long-term to allow Sims there to gain the most possible, both academically and socially, from their years as students. And I mean years -- not days! It certainly won't be a case of cramming in a quick degree before they get on with the serious business of making babies! (TBH making babies doesn't interest me that much. It's something I let the Family Sims do now and then to keep them happy!) So, when Sims do fall in love at university, I don't feel I can keep them waiting for years, especially when they can see teenage friends getting married back in the main 'hood. So I'm just relieved that marriage while at university is possible. There's no urgency about it -- there's nobody desperate to get married just now.

EPs? I still feel at the moment that I'm not ready to add another EP. I just feel there's a tremendous amount I can do with what I've already got. The last EP I added was University at the beginning of 2017, and I feel I have barely scratched the surface of that yet. I just sent my first teen to university a couple of days ago. Before that I added OFB. I have about 10-12 businesses in total across all my 'hoods (including the Maxis businesses in Bluewater). None of my businesses is above Level 3 or 4. The only EP I've really used extensively is Nightlife: I make sure there is plenty of romance in my Sims' lives, perhaps to make up for the lack of it in my own.

I'm afraid I really don't think Apartment Life is for me. My game has some strong utopian characteristics. In many respects I play it the way I think things should be done in real life. You may have noticed the way I try to help my Sims to resolve conflicts, rather than encourage them to keep fighting. I really don't like the idea of my Sims paying rent to a landlord all their lives for a property that will never be their own. In real life I don't like the property speculation that often accompanies home ownership. But that doesn't happen in The Sims 2. In their world unimproved houses actually depreciate in value. (Which is what I think ought to happen in real life too!) So, knowing that for a Sim a house is a place to live, and not a speculative asset, I like to see them moving into a place they can call their own. There are other things I really don't want in AL. For a start I don't want witchcraft in my game -- I have about zero interest in the occult and the paranormal. I also understand that there's some thing in AL that allows areas to be zoned as lower, middle and upper class, an idea which I find rather obnoxious. I like the classless element of my game as it is. Of course Her Esteemed Grace the Grand Duchess Juliette Capp has a prestigious title, lives in in a grand house (Capp Manor) and is considerably better off financially off than most Veronavillians. But she goes clubbing downtown in the same clubs as the ordinary teens. And she mixes and makes friends with them without favour and without fuss. And I love her for it! It's her "ordinariness" that helps to make her so popular -- nowadays even with the Montys. Not long ago I saw Isabella and Patrizio entertaining her while Romeo was at school.

There are things in Apartment Life that I would like: like ceilings and moveable pictures. But not enough to want to disrupt my wonderful existing game.

If and when I do add another EP, it will almost certainly be Pets. Cats and dogs have almost always been part of my life (at least until our Cairn Terrier died in May), and I feel my Sims are missing out on something valuable in not having them. I would have to mod out Werewolves, and I would want to do something about the Bin Sims, as I want each of my Sims to be in one 'hood, and one 'hood only. I don't want multiple copies of the same Sims to be scattered across multiple 'hoods. I'm not sure about wolves. They used to be native to Scotland until the 18th century, and there are plans to reintroduce them. But, even if those plans ever come to fruition, I feel my chances of ever meeting a real live wild one are very remote. (Though I have to admit that I've never met a Real Life Grand Duchess either!)

To ever add a new EP, some of my favourite mods would have to be updated. The one that concerns me most is pinhead's Move In to all sim ages, which is fundamental to my way of playing. Befriending a teen (or a child) and persuading them to move in is much more fun than using a teleporter.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12234 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 1:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria

The most important of the issues I raised to me is marriage while at university.

I am writing up a couple of posts on how I play young adults so I grabbed those marriage links to include. Can anyone confirm that YA can get married with them? I have not tried. I also grabbed the in testing file. I will at some point test that one out but this won't be happening for some time since I am doing a hood rebuild of CB and there are no ya weddings pending in my Ubber hood either.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#12235 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 1:24 AM
I'd love a nanny for vampires. The normal nannies don't track your schedule if you are home, so I always have to manually call her at 6:30. Can't I hire a nanny that works specifically between dusk and dawn?? :P
just a girl
#12236 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 4:25 AM Last edited by Lamare : 20th Sep 2021 at 1:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I am writing up a couple of posts on how I play young adults so I grabbed those marriage links to include. Can anyone confirm that YA can get married with them? I have not tried. I also grabbed the in testing file. I will at some point test that one out but this won't be happening for some time since I am doing a hood rebuild of CB and there are no ya weddings pending in my Ubber hood either.

My mod works, if I may say so myself. I recently got back to playing and started with a whole bunch of sims in university, some of whom already got married (and even divorced). I have disabled marriage in dorms and frats, unless both sims already live in them together, which is annoying, but it's just to be safe. Another thing is that I don't play young adults in main 'hood, so I'm a little less confident about how it works there. I mean, sims will be able to get married, but I haven't covered the moving in process, and I know that this process might turn YA into an adult in some cases if unmodded.
UPD: marrying in main 'hood doesn't cause YAs to age up immediately, it's the friendly ask to move in that causes it.
Mad Poster
#12237 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 5:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

The Marhis hacked marriage arch does work to marry YAs, although in my experience it also does move them in and grows them up if they move into a house outside the uni hood because of that, which is not how the hack is advertised to work. But that's actually fine for my purposes, so I don't mind.
Top Secret Researcher
#12238 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 6:37 AM
I would love to have the colouring wheel ffom The Sims 3.

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Field Researcher
#12239 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 10:15 AM
I dont know if I should post here or in WICF...it would be nice if there was mod that allowes cafeteria worker could make more meals/dishes (since students only get MAC&CHEESE, CHILI CON CARNE and PANCAKES). Also, I would like a mod that allowes baristas to work in dorms.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#12240 Old 20th Sep 2021 at 7:19 PM
I think beds all use the same Interaction Sleep bhav, and then the amount of energy/comfort is taken from the values in the individual beds OBJD. Maybe change the bhav from taking a value from the OBJD and having user input? If that were feasible, then it should work with any Maxis or custom bed. There is a mod by Marhis which makes all beds use the same energy, Maxis and custom. It alters global sleep motives bhav and bcon.
Scholar
#12241 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 12:16 PM
This conversation is quite amusing to me.
So you like (aeasthetically) some beds but you would like them to grant more energy/comfort, and on the opposite of the spectrum I would like them to grant less ^^;
My Sims would get up still somewhat tired - and would need a nap (which I hardly use now) or maybe recharge during weekends. Well, just like I do irl.
And alarm clocks would be so much useful!

My poor Sims, I treat them so badly xD
Mad Poster
#12242 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 1:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lena88
I dont know if I should post here or in WICF...it would be nice if there was mod that allowes cafeteria worker could make more meals/dishes (since students only get MAC&CHEESE, CHILI CON CARNE and PANCAKES).
This is especially true of Katey Ross (AKA Supercook) the cafeteria cook in our Land Grant University LGU. (She somehow manages to simultaneously work from 4 a.m. to 1 a.m. in every cafeteria in LGU. ) The Community Lot Skilling mod that I use (by Squinge) means that she gains Cooking Skill all the time that she's cooking. Her cooking skill is now up to 9 and approaching 10, so she's clearly capable of offering her students a much wider variety of fare than she's currently serving them.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Lab Assistant
#12243 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 9:19 PM Last edited by Morrowindnostalgia : 21st Sep 2021 at 9:55 PM.
Is there a mod that makes rain water your plants?

It's really silly to keep having to water them in the pouring rain.

Edit: removed the question about fire because fire already is put out by rain, oops. But my point about watering plants still stands!
Mad Poster
#12244 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 9:46 PM
Rain already puts out fires.
Scholar
#12245 Old 21st Sep 2021 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morrowindnostalgia

em... I was under impression that the things works exactly in such a way. My farmers rarely needs to water the veggies (the flowers are different case, they are just spawners for vermin) through spring/autumn. In the whole cycle (3 seasons) usually they are watering the plants maybe twice. I am playing with the 4day season mod, though.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Link Ninja
#12246 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 6:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morrowindnostalgia

Edit: removed the question about fire because fire already is put out by rain, oops. But my point about watering plants still stands!

If you wat till after it's done raining they shouldn't need watered. The option to water will always be there, but I've had it rain for a whole sim day without watering them and they display an 'overwatered' animation of them dripping wet.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#12247 Old 22nd Sep 2021 at 9:49 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 22nd Sep 2021 at 10:03 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Lena88
I dont know if I should post here or in WICF...it would be nice if there was mod that allowes cafeteria worker could make more meals/dishes (since students only get MAC&CHEESE, CHILI CON CARNE and PANCAKES). Also, I would like a mod that allowes baristas to work in dorms.
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
This is especially true of Katey Ross (AKA Supercook) the cafeteria cook in our Land Grant University LGU. (She somehow manages to simultaneously work from 4 a.m. to 1 a.m. in every cafeteria in LGU. ) The Community Lot Skilling mod that I use (by Squinge) means that she gains Cooking Skill all the time that she's cooking. Her cooking skill is now up to 9 and approaching 10, so she's clearly capable of offering her students a much wider variety of fare than she's currently serving them.

I guess Katey's been listening to us. Or she's somehow found time to read this thread . . .

I was a bit surprised to get two Disagrees on my last post about Katey. I know some of my posts can be controversial, but for the life of me I couldn't see what anyone could find to disagree with in that one. I know dorm cooks have a bit of a bad reputation in the Simming community for burning things, but I can only speak as I find, and in the time I have known her, Katey (yes, that is how she spells her name) has never put a foot wrong. Hour by hour and day by day she serves up simple well-cooked nourishing food. Yes, she really does gain cooking skill as she cooks. If you don't believe me here's a pic:
I'm sure it's Squinge's Community Lot Skilling mod that's doing it. Amongst other things my Sims also skill when playing chess in each others' houses.

I'm looking forward to the day when Katey reaches cooking skill level 10. I wonder if she'll celebrate with her students by giving them lobster thermidor and baked Alaska.

Katey says, "Every day, and in every way, I am getting better and better."
Screenshots

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#12248 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 12:03 AM
Nothing wrong with cafeteria workers. In fact, my Erik Swain liked his so much, he proposed to her.
Mad Poster
#12249 Old 23rd Sep 2021 at 1:56 AM
I'd love something that would allow a subneighborhood to keep the regular day/night cycle, have the AM/PM times reversed for jobs, house visits, etc... one of my regions in the fantasy setting I'm gradually worldbuilding my way through is in an extremely hot desert environment, so the cultures there are almost exclusively nocturnal to take advantage of the cooler desert nights. (as an aside, this is also meant to make it an interesting new way to play vampires, since suddenly they're on the same schedule as the rest of the population!)

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Field Researcher
#12250 Old 25th Sep 2021 at 12:27 AM Last edited by Lena88 : 25th Sep 2021 at 12:42 AM.
I dont know how to put this...It would be nice (touch of realism) if there was HOTEL FOOD CART that has same function as Paladin's Place/Simwardrobe AUTOMSTIC BUFFET TABLE. Or at least recolors/other shape option for aitomatic buffet table to look as hotel food cart.???? What do you think folks?
Page 490 of 577