Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#28301 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 2:30 PM Last edited by Pideli : 30th Sep 2021 at 3:02 PM.
I wish I knew how to bake kids make mods! I only know how to edit mods but I don't know how to start if I would make my own. If I only knew how to start I might be able to do it...

More specifically, I want to alter the action of shutting down businesses so that it doesn't sell all items afterwards. Does anyone know how to begin?

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Advertisement
just a girl
#28302 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 3:27 PM
You begin by finding that action in objects.package (a copy of it) and looking into how it's done.

I, personally, started by poking around in other people's mods and in-game packages. Seeing examples of code and comparing them with the results you know they have in the game is how you learn. Tutorials are very helpful at first stages, when you look at the code and don't understand what you see and how to read it.
Forum Resident
#28303 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 6:31 PM
I'm creating my medieval uberhood and in doing that, moving sims from premade subhoods to the main hood. So, I'd like to know...are there any graves in Riverblossom Hills, Bluewater Village, and Desiderata Valley? I've mostly got the other ones, I think, but I don't know if any of the households have graves and I'd like to know before I delete the subhood and force everyone to move out, just so I don't get any corruption from unlinked graves.

edit: or i could just get no unlink on delete lol

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Alchemist
#28304 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 8:58 PM
On modding, it was helpful to me to look through the creator's forums here and on other sites for posts seeking help making a specific mod. Then I would download the finished mod and study it while reading the thread. It helped me understand the creation process
Top Secret Researcher
#28305 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 10:13 PM
Graves in RBH, Bluewater and Desiderata : I believe there are none, the wiki says Noriko's grave is on the Aspir lot, but that appears to be a mistake.
https://modthesims.info/t/559749

Anyway, I'm not sure deleting a subhood where there was a grave counts as the corruption-inducing "delete grave", like when you sell it in buy mode. It would be more of a case of it being unavailable than deleted.

I would make a backup, and go ahead and delete those subhoods. And I would also get Nounlinkondelete if I didn't already have it^^

If you wanna go around and check every lot before you scrap the subhood, Cyjon's Lot Inspector will tell you whether there is a grave, visible or not.
Alchemist
#28306 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 1:07 AM
@Lamare, I wasn't actually; I'd forgotten all about it! Mods are a little tricker because they can do the same thing but be made in a different way, or, like you say, come bundled with other little things, or be updated not to conflict with something else. Hmm, that reminds me of when Kestrellyn was talking about how good mod design is simple and how it's better for the end user to take a modular approach, rather than bundle everything. I didn't really get the chance to ask more about that (I think the thread got derailed by the BO vs Pescado aspect of the conversation! ) But that stuck with me and as I learn more about modding and see new mods come out, that approach starts to make more sense to me.

Anyway, iirc, you wanted to take a new approach and add some other features, right? That makes sense to me; it's really helpful and educational when creators tell you the differences and say use this new mod/object set because x. Again, that makes sense--you're improving on the idea or building on it, etc. It's when mods are presented that have no additional benefits from the old ones, and seemingly do the same exactly thing--or worse, less than before. That baffles me. I was actually thinking about some of Simler90's mods, tbh, and some of the help posts on Midgethetree's tumblr. I like reading the mod help requests even if I don't have any interest in the mod; I feel like it helps me learn. Anyway, yeah sometimes some of the requesters are asking for help making things that already exist, but maybe they don't know that. And, now that I'm really thinking about it, this happened with older mods too. Like, ever put together a mod list for OFB? Sometimes there's like 3 or 4 versions of the same mod! And those are just the versions I know about!

And @Pideli, I know how you feel, at least a little bit. I'm slowly learning how to edit mods. But when it comes to starting something from scratch, I get lost. For me, I wish there were more general theory/modding approach type of tutorials. TS2 tutorials are often very "let me show you how to do this one thing." When I try to reverse engineer things, it's hit or miss. Lots of staring and hoping for that Eureka moment.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
#28307 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 2:19 AM
Does anyone know why the level 3 slacker career outfit for teens and elders appears to be the fast food employee career outfit instead? The GUID in the career is correct. Is the outfit just linked incorrectly for teens and elders or something? Does the actual level 3 slacker outfit not exist for them?
Field Researcher
#28308 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 2:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
With the way search engines work nowadays, especially google, it's probably really hard for a newcomer to find the right results. Even I experience this when I look for stuff for TS3. Meaningful results just don't come up for me. Or they're buried in TS4 results. And then these new simmers don't know where to look--they've missed entire phases of the TS2 community! I remember the Livejournal phase, the move to Dreamwidth phase, and then how every simmer had their own website. Then the TBTO phase, and finally the move to Tumblr. And, iirc, all of that was after TS3 came out! Maybe the LJ phase started with the last few TS2 EPs. And then again, several simming sites have come and gone since then, too.

Exactly - I think many new simmers who came into the community via TS4 might not realize there's even a simming community outside of Tumblr. And within Tumblr, it's very difficult to search. Even trying to find a post I know exists on my own blog is hard enough. Looking for something that originated in a different game, and may or may not exist? I can see why new simmers might give up or conclude it hasn't been done because they're not aware of the resources available.

Quote:
But I am a little concerned about the amount of new simmers who are, not just re-converting sets, but are also starting new databases from scratch, and making new mods that do the same thing as an old one. (I'm talking about the stuff that doesn't really improve upon what came before, but is just being done because they thought it didn't exist.) Idk. It just seems like there's a lot of new simmers trying to reinvent the wheel here. Is there something older simmers can do to spread past knowledge?

Putting on my Captain Obvious hat, but of course, telling them directly that a database exists is useful when you see someone reinventing the wheel. I think this isn't done a lot of the time because it feels pretty awkward to tell someone, "hey, all that work you did was pretty much useless." It's the same kind of unpleasant kindness as telling someone they have body odor.

Then another thing I think experienced simmers can do is to use the platforms they have to boost knowledge of existing databases. Sticking with the tumblr example, the only 4t2 conversion databases I know of are MDP's CAS conversion archive and, linked from that Google Doc, Sims 4t2 Conversion Build/Buy Database. I have no idea if these are the most up-to-date or complete lists. But I'm sure reblogging or linking to whatever database you prefer could help get the word out.

I think a big part of the reason the Sims 2 Default Database is so robust is that many creators link back to it when they make defaults, so everyone interested in defaults knows that it exists. Maybe people who make 4t2 conversions could do the same - when you upload a new conversion, include a line in your post that says, "For more 4t2 conversions, check out this database." Or if there's a page for the specific item, link to it - ie, "This is the Executive Coffee Table from Get to Work converted for Sims 2."

Idk if any of this is helpful, but I just have a lot of thoughts about information dissemination in the simming community. It's fascinating because it's so decentralized, and the different communities all have such different focuses. Forums like MTS and GOS are different from Reddit is different from Tumblr is different from Dreamwidth and Livejournal are different from Blogspot and Wordpress are different from TSR is different from Patreon. And I'm sure there are corners of the simternet I don't even know about
Alchemist
#28309 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 5:12 AM
I've been thinking about this a lot the last few days. I was really skeptical at first, because, kinda like HugeLunatic said, there are several sites with conversion lists. I was like "how do they not know they exist"? And while there are certainly some simmers out there who don't care to download other's work and prefer to use and make their own version of everything, I'm starting to realize, that yeah, maybe these simmers really don't know they exist.

I saw someone on the TS2 reddit excitedly starting a thread with a link to the 3t2 database a day or two ago. They'd just found out it existed. Before lurking over there, I did assume Sims 2 players were more informed about mods, practices etc. but it's not uncommon to see redditors who don't use mods at all because they're too scared to, people who talk about "alpha CC" as if it's the realistic alternative to Maxis Match, who don't use Boolprop because they think it's dangerous etc. You also see posts like "is it safe to use ACR? The mod hasn't been updated since 2009." So, you have people who aren't even aware that that the originals exist, people who think old mods are no good, not realizing that mods from an old game don't need to a Sims 4 style update schedule, and so they start remaking things. Then, there are people who want to break into modding, but all their ideas were already used 10-15 years ago, so they remake the mod and share it because why not?
Theorist
#28310 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 7:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Anyway, I'm not sure deleting a subhood where there was a grave counts as the corruption-inducing "delete grave", like when you sell it in buy mode. It would be more of a case of it being unavailable than deleted.
With enough testing, would this finally be a safe in-game way of getting rid of graves without causing corruption? Would it even require nounlinkondelete (for that specific procedure) - given that no unlinking actually happens when deleting a subhood?
just a girl
#28311 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 3:02 PM
But that stuck with me and as I learn more about modding and see new mods come out, that approach starts to make more sense to me.

The conversation you started here made me think the same thing. Thank you for bringing it up.

It's when mods are presented that have no additional benefits from the old ones, and seemingly do the same exactly thing--or worse, less than before. That baffles me.

I've made those before. I look for something, I can't find it, so I make it. And then after some time I learn that there was a mod. Oh well.
People should really ask more often (I know I should) and be more cooperative in big projects like databases.
Top Secret Researcher
#28312 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 9:23 PM
Topp: well I don't know for sure that no unlinking happens, I just think it doesn't.

I never tried to get rid of a grave, on the contrary I am forever respawning premade ancestors graves (I like having the ghosts around), and clearly a missing grave is not an issue since you can spawn a new one, or not, it doesn't affect the deceased.

Maybe there really is a "limbo" where the existing graves virtually exist when they are not on an actual lot, since:
1) -Pescado seems to say so here https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_g...Urnstone_Tokens
-See also here:
https://web.archive.org/web/2020022...hp?topic=6341.0

2) The fact that the HoodChecker is able to find tombstones that "are" on lots that don't exist, and retrieve them, and ship them to the (existing) lot of your choice.

So, I guess to get rid of a grave, send it to whatever community lot, don't visit it, instead delete the "in transit" token with the batbox while you have Nounlinkondelete in your user files.
just a girl
#28313 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 10:38 PM
How do you spawn a grave?

(I only knew that the Hood Checker could bring back the ones that disappeared.)
Instructor
#28314 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 10:40 PM
There's a mod to spawn them but I can't remember who by at the moment. Someone else likely knows.
Mad Poster
#28315 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 10:41 PM Last edited by FranH : 1st Oct 2021 at 10:57 PM.
You don't 'spawn a grave' per se.
You have to have an urn from someone who's died, and sending it to the cemetery will 'spawn' the grave you put in-or on the ground in the first place. Urns always turn into gravestones when placed on ground.

Resurrection is a completely different process and if you're doing it with a neighborhood missing graves, it's a complicated chore.

however, if you want to use the ghosts (whether or not they have graves), you can use a hacked gravestone by Cathair that spooks visitors to the cemetery: https://modthesims.info/d/207521/as...gravestone.html

Likewise, this one from Christianlov does even better by giving you options on how to scare the visitors (and make the ghosts work for a living for free!): https://modthesims.info/d/289811/to...ost-080712.html

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#28316 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 11:07 PM
You can respawn a vanished grave by summoning the ghost with the teleporter, pausing immediately, and using either the testingcheats or the batbox (I have a hard time remembering which) choosing Item/Spawn Grave. Or something like that. I have to relearn to do it every time I do it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#28317 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 11:21 PM
It's the batbox, Peni. I had to relearn to do it today!
Top Secret Researcher
#28318 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
You don't 'spawn a grave' per se.
You have to have an urn from someone who's died...[/url]

You do spawn the grave, and you don't need to have an urn of the deceased, that's the whole point of the procedure Peni masterfully explained
Lab Assistant
#28319 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 10:30 PM
Are there any other possible fixes to memory allocation for the game? I bought a new laptop recently, so I used both 4GB patch and Empty Standby, and the log does say that the memory used is 4096MB. Yet the game always crashes when it used 1GB of RAM. What else could be an issue?
Field Researcher
#28320 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
I wish I knew how to bake kids make mods! I only know how to edit mods but I don't know how to start if I would make my own. If I only knew how to start I might be able to do it...

More specifically, I want to alter the action of shutting down businesses so that it doesn't sell all items afterwards. Does anyone know how to begin?

In this specific case you can start with BHAV CT - End Business and look at line 8 For Sale Objects - Clear All. I would test to replace it with a NOP-instruction.
Alchemist
#28321 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 1:44 AM
I've never had Perfect Gardens and Perfect Plants work for me. What am I not getting about this?
Lab Assistant
#28322 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 3:38 PM
Hello, I hope everyone is having a good day. Now, for my question - I used to know this before I took a simming hiatus, but if I delete a college subhood in-game (I want to use katatty's redecorated version of SSU (empty, no sims), with the game version with sims in it, so if I delete the current uni from my neighborhood, will the sims in the houses and dorms be in the family bin or do I need to put them in the family bin before I delete the sub-hood?
Mad Poster
#28323 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 3:55 PM
They will be in the family bin, and the dormies will be ready to populate your new University.

Add the new one first or the game will, I understand, refuse to delete the old one. Once you add a university subhood, you must always have at least one university subhood for the YAs to live in. (Possibly some mods affect this.)

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#28324 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 4:41 PM
It's a fairly straightforward question and probably asked countless times, but:
I'd like to recolor the H&M Stuff banners but I noticed there's no folder pointing at the stuff pack in SimPE. How do I get a hold of the files for the Object Workshop?

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Forum Resident
#28325 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bulbash
Are there any other possible fixes to memory allocation for the game? I bought a new laptop recently, so I used both 4GB patch and Empty Standby, and the log does say that the memory used is 4096MB. Yet the game always crashes when it used 1GB of RAM. What else could be an issue?

How much memory is on your new laptop? Have you run any tests to see if perhaps the laptop has a bad memory stick?

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Page 1133 of 1339