Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th May 2022 at 5:04 PM
Default Milkshape 3D: Making Sims Fall
So I've been thinking how cool it'd be to make my sims jump off a cliff
I made the animation using MS3D and this tutorial :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfk6rN4IUY
But as I press the start button my sims move into a horizontal position, never descending to the ground
I tried moving the auskel joint along with my sim but nothing changed
Thoughts ?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th May 2022 at 9:50 PM
Don't touch the auskel joint, it's supposed to stay in place (don't rotate, don't move).

If you want to rotate the whole sim, use the "root_rot" joint. If you want to move the sim, use the "root_trans" joint.

Make sure to not move the "root_rot" joint or rotate the "root_trans" joint, or you'll mess up the animation, and make sure to select them from the list, because they overlap.

If you've done anything with the auskel joint, or done the wrong transformations with the root joints, you usually have to start over, because that's easier than fixing it (at least in Milkshape - not sure if it is possible to fix it in Milkshape).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th May 2022 at 10:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Don't touch the auskel joint, it's supposed to stay in place (don't rotate, don't move).

If you want to rotate the whole sim, use the "root_rot" joint. If you want to move the sim, use the "root_trans" joint.

Make sure to not move the "root_rot" joint or rotate the "root_trans" joint, or you'll mess up the animation, and make sure to select them from the list, because they overlap.

If you've done anything with the auskel joint, or done the wrong transformations with the root joints, you usually have to start over, because that's easier than fixing it (at least in Milkshape - not sure if it is possible to fix it in Milkshape).

Thanks for the helpful information!
So I assume there is no way to make sims fall to the ground from a high distance using MS3D?
If not, is there any other program you can do this with?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th May 2022 at 12:21 PM
Like I said, you have to use the "root_trans" joint to move the sim. This joint moves the whole skeleton.
If you want to rotate the whole skeleton, you have to use the "root_rot" joint.

Don't get these two mixed up.

Don't do anything to the auskel joint (no moving or rotating).

A different posebox tutorial with some more tips on what to do and not to do in Milkshape, in case you need that: https://hermit-fox.livejournal.com/524.html

(It's the same for animations, but there you also have to take into account timing between set keys and all that. Individual poses only have one set key, while animations often have several)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2022 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Like I said, you have to use the "root_trans" joint to move the sim. This joint moves the whole skeleton.
If you want to rotate the whole skeleton, you have to use the "root_rot" joint.

Don't get these two mixed up.

Don't do anything to the auskel joint (no moving or rotating).

A different posebox tutorial with some more tips on what to do and not to do in Milkshape, in case you need that: https://hermit-fox.livejournal.com/524.html

(It's the same for animations, but there you also have to take into account timing between set keys and all that. Individual poses only have one set key, while animations often have several)

Thanks!
I finally made it :D
There's still a problem though
My original animation is one minute long but in game it only lasts a few seconds
Please help
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Jun 2022 at 8:56 PM
Have you spaced the keys properly? I think one second of animation ingame is 30 single keys, which means you'll probably have to set one key at the beginning, and maybe one or two with slightly different positions at around 15 and 30 (unless you want a lot of details), and then continue. The longer your animation is, the more frames you're going to need, so probably a few hundred. I don't think Milkshape handles too long animations when exporting, so probably best to not go completely overboard.

It probably plays slow in Milkshape, but ingame those 30 frames is just one second, so 150 frames is 5 seconds, and 300 frames is about 10 seconds of animation - plenty to play around with.

You may want to test out the timing a bit, because it can be difficult. Sometimes you get too slow animations, and other times you get too fast animations, so it's the matter of getting them just right. Animators often use reference video clips to get the timing and animations correct, so that's a handy trick.