Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2022 at 8:03 PM Last edited by jessb66 : 22nd Jun 2022 at 11:30 PM.
Default Tweaking Cyjon's "Edukashun Iz Gud" Mod
I use this mod in my game because it makes Maxis careers make more sense in terms of educational requirements with just one mod. Cyjon has not posted on Cyjon.net in about a year and a half. I hope s/he is okay? What a great modder!

http://cyjon.net/node/309

Cyjon's mod allows a Sim to enter any career track, including the careers that came with University. They progress in their careers normally until they hit a cap determined by their education (ranges from college graduate to highschool dropout). After the cap, Cyjon's mod makes it possible for sims without educational credentials to advance in their career, but reduces the likelihood of a promotion to 1 in 10 (or 10%). I would like a version that increases the likelihood to 1 in 5 (or 20%). This is BHAV modding and I hope I have posted in the right place.

If any one has any idea how I might go about tweaking Cyjon's mod, could you please reply? I don't know anything about BHAV modding, but presumably there is a check/pass type function that controls the likelihood of promotion. Perhaps it is not too difficult to change?

Thanks for reading this and Happy Simming!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 7:27 AM
Did you try looking at the mod in SimPE? I'm not a good modder either, but you can often see what the correct spot is to change this or that value.
Just keep a clean copy of the mod, and a backup of your game, then try it and see. Good luck!

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 10:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
Did you try looking at the mod in SimPE? I'm not a good modder either, but you can often see what the correct spot is to change this or that value.
Just keep a clean copy of the mod, and a backup of your game, then try it and see. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I opened up the mod in SimPE, saw the BHAVs and figured I would need some help with it. No harm in opening up a copy of the mod outside of my Downloads folder and seeing if it's possible to figure out how it works. I know there are some BHAV tutorials floating around and BHAV modding documentation as well. And it's a great idea to back up my neighborhoods before doing any sort of testing.

I really don't know how this mod works in-game. I am not certain if it works with a random outcome with a one in ten chance of success or if it is a simple counter that passes on the tenth attempt, thereby promoting sims ten working days later than they would have been promoted if they had a college degree. I have not had the mod in my game for long enough to see how it works when a Sim hits the promotion cap. There isn't a discussion thread or very much documentation on Cyjon's mods at Cyjon.net, beyond a description of what the mod does and likely conflicts.

I used to use several mods that reworked the whole college majors and careers system to make them more realistic. It was pretty complicated. Cyjon's mod is much simpler. And it allows any Sim to at least start out in any career. I don't know whether I will use mods to revamp the college majors and careers system in the game I am playing now. I am building a custom neighborhood and want to make all the subhood maps and buildings myself. I have not added a University yet. I don't think it is possible to both use Cyjon's mod AND mods to rework the college majors and careers system.

I am not sure I am brave enough to post about this over at MATY. And I am not sure how active that community is at this point either. Of course I could always just do it. It's not their mod, but it is up their alley, so to speak. Or maybe LazyDuchess's crew might be interested in how to tweak the mod? It's certainly a popular one and on lots of lists of best gameplay mods.

Again, thank you for reading this and Happy Simming!
Alchemist
#4 Old 1st Jul 2022 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jessb66
I really don't know how this mod works in-game. I am not certain if it works with a random outcome with a one in ten chance of success or if it is a simple counter that passes on the tenth attempt, thereby promoting sims ten working days later than they would have been promoted if they had a college degree. I have not had the mod in my game for long enough to see how it works when a Sim hits the promotion cap.

I've used the mod for quite a while, although I haven't looked at the workings of it in SimPE.
In-game, my CAS sims just stop getting promoted after level 5. There's no pop-up or anything. Their work status bar fills, and just stays there, forever as far as I have seen. Last time I played, a CAS sim got a chance card which had a possibility of promotion, and I think that would have worked with the version I use, but I skipped it so not 100% certain. (If I decide a sim should be promoted regardless, I do that with the SimBlender...and then they are stuck at that level in exactly the same way.)

Clever people could look at the BHAV and see the proper answers to your questions, of course. I'm not all that good at understanding the coding beyond very simple stuff. I hope you get some actual assistance!

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort