Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 4:35 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 2nd Nov 2017 at 4:56 PM.
Default WCIF stuff from VPN's Garage?
Long story short, I got bored of the present Sim day and now my main TS3 save is set in 1988. A flawless plan, except for one minor detail: There's not enough content.
I can improvise furniture using copious amounts of photographic reference material and a thick layer of CASt.
Clothing, whatever. I can just clone something EA-made and fuck with the mesh until it looks about right.

But vehicles? No sirree, that's a different story. Now I'm not one of those geniuses who can make uber advanced magic happen in Blender or S3PE or whatever, but I had a small stroke of genius the other day and realised I could just nick some CC cars from the TS2 community (god bless you people and your hobbies) and look up a tutorial on how to convert crap from TS2 to TS3.

And then I remembered about VPN's Garage. RIP, apparently. I don't play TS2 so I never used any of the awesome cars from that site, but now that I have a period world and a Let's Play series I'd like to get started on before the end of the year, it turns out I might just damn well need to. Because the vanilla TS3 car models, dated as they are, do not fit into the picture.
Turns out that that site had tons of very well-made cars (and some electronics) from the 70s and 80s, and it's exactly what I need.

So if anyone has any of these cars at all, please share them with me.

Thanks

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 7:59 PM
Did you try gettin to it with the Wayback Machine? http://archive.org/web/

I was able to get there and open some pages up but as I'm not sure what you're lookin for it might be best if you go poke around and see what's still available through there. The link I used actually said it was for Sims 3 so you might not have to convert.

This was the link I started with http://vpnsgarage.sims3carsource.net/
I got it by googlin for VPN Garage and was led to a MTS user who had that as their homepage.

I hope this helps ya some
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 8:25 PM
Didn't work, none of the download pages/forum threads are archived. What happened to that site anyway, why'd it go offline?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 9:30 PM
Sims websites go offline all the time. Lack of interest or funding on behalf of the owners.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 11:10 PM
Is this a WCIF for sims 3 or sims 2?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 11:15 PM
It's a WCIF for TS2 content, and thus for TS2. Granted, the main reason I want these cars is so I can convert them to TS3.

insert signature here
Theorist
#7 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 6:59 AM
So it seems that VPN's Garage has/had a FB page. I looked them up and saw this post:

MAY 2016 UPDATE
Hello Alterran fans. I am Gabriel Villaverde, also known as Lastinpurple, former creator, administrator and co-founder of VPN's Garage. I have noticed that over the past days the interest about our creations has risen and we've had some messages from people interested in downloading some of our creations once again. I say thank you to all of those that have sent messages showing interest about our content, it's great to know that after a year offline Alterra still interests you.
I must thank Electrohouse for replying some of the comments, but to all of you that asked about a possible return of the Garage I am really sorry to say that it won't happen, and here's the reason why:
The Garage was deleted and its domain (sims3carsource.net) is now on sale and unfortunately there is no possible way of reuploading the Garage as it was back in 2015. We were never the owners of the site, instead we were generously granted hosting space by our friends at the Sims2/3CarSource network. VPN's Garage was the last site running from that network, so when in January 2015 our creative staff decided to retire the site became inactive, and then S2CS/S3CS shut down, taking down the Garage with them. We were never able to reach the S3CS servers to backup the information as it wasn't our site, so the Garage as it used to be is gone forever.
However, the content posted in the Garage (cars, computers, accessories, TV shows, movies and so) is still being preserved by the former creative staff. At the moment there is no plan to reupload everything to a new site, as it would require much effort from the former creative staff that have now moved on to other personal projects. However, if you are really interested in some of the content we made, you can provide us with a list of the stuff you want to retrieve (on our Facebook page, or via PM) and I'll try to provide you with a private link so you can download that particular set of stuff. Be aware that I don't preserve every creation posted in the Garage, so I may need to contact other former members to try and retrieve that particular object. This can be a long process, as I said the former creative staff have moved on, so please be patient. If you get a private link please do not redistribute/repost the content we provided to you. The Garage's creations were exclusive to our site, developing those contents took many hours of our own time and we wouldn't like to see our content redistributed by a third party. So please do not reupload the content we provided to you, you would only harm the chances of seeing that content made public again by their original creators.
If you are interested in some of the Altermedia TV Shows and Movies posted in the Garage, you'll be pleased to hear that our former storywriters have opened a site where you can retrieve some of that. The site is called alterran-archives.forummotion.com
Please note that not everything has been uploaded, and it's up to our former storywriters to reupload their stuff in their own free time.
If you have any other question about the Garage, its content or the former staff, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer your questions.
Thank you for not forgetting us!

You might try contactin them through FB and maybe you can get them that way. Sorry I couldn't of been more help.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 7:12 AM
There are other alternatives, sadly ... Sims Graveyard (once it's back up), Yahoo Groups (Saving the Sims) and/or SFS. In time, even the VPN creations as is are in danger of fading away.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Nov 2017 at 10:54 AM
Seems crazy that an entire site full of such high quality content would just stop existing like that. But this is TS2, where people go to extreme lengths to customize their game, and many have been doing it for well over a decade, so it's not surprising that not all of it still exists.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#10 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 8:11 PM
Have you looked at any of Fresh Prince's cars? He has cars for both Sims 2 and Sims 3 and they seem to be high quality stuff. He has some stuff here on MTS and he has more on his own website. Most are 21st century, but he does have a few 60s - 80s models.

http://www.modthesims.info/browse.p...wAll=1&u=340624

http://www.freshprincecreations.com/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 12:30 AM
Are you implying that there is a possibility I haven't?

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#12 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Are you implying that there is a possibility I haven't?

No need to be rude. You said you don't play Sims 2, so it would be very believable that you don't know what sites are around.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 12:55 PM
Yes, but Fresh Prince is mainly a TS3 site nowadays.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#14 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 1:07 PM Last edited by DuskTrooper : 16th Nov 2017 at 1:55 PM.
While many of VPN's offerings are lost I fear, Psychosim has made slaved versions of some of them and includes the mesh for them. They may be of use to you.

http://psychosim.livejournal.com/13975.html

I also still have the meshes for the 1968 Lambda 62 Sagat, 1969 Lambda 62 Sagat Familiar and 1971 Lambda 621M which are not covered by Psychosim's download. Anyone else have meshes not covered by Psychosim's download? Uploading these somewhere could be useful for not only Grijze's proj. but also for other players of TS2.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 5:27 PM
I'd rather have someone post them all here so that everyone who sees this thread can download them.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#16 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 8:02 PM
Is there still an interest in the these? I can upload the three Lambda's I have. The rest of the VPN meshes I have are the Psychosim slaved ones, which you can download in my previous post in this thread.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Scholar
#17 Old 26th Dec 2017 at 1:13 PM
I'm very interested in getting my grubby paws on their "retro" computers, if anyone has them. They had some real beauties.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Dec 2017 at 5:01 PM
Agreed. I'd be very interested in getting some mid-late 80s hardware in my game. It's not strictly needed, but I'd have good use for it.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Aug 2018 at 4:13 AM
Bump, but I had a whole bunch sent to me by someone whose name I can't even begin to remember. Sorry, but thanks a ton! Tthere's a whole bunch of them in here, in varying quality, but they've all been tested in-game and some of them look great. Others look fine. Then there's a few you need not bother with. Judge for yourself.
https://mega.nz/#F!v89jXILL!YghvqcvsXHGBETzJH6AREQ
Now for the bad news: these are TS3 only. Great news for me, potentially not so great news for you guys. The only way to get them in TS2 might be a manual, painstaking conversion process. I now have some experience of my own converting objects between the two games. It's not rocket science but you'd still rather not have to do it.

Speaking of which, are those PCs still out there somewhere?

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 22nd Jun 2020 at 8:25 AM
Hi all, I know this is an old thread but in case there's any interest, I uploaded some computers and TVs from VPN's Garage to my Tumblr awhile back per a request: https://blissful-indigo.tumblr.com/...ny-of-the-retro
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 3:23 AM
Oh man I totally missed your post but I ought to give you a big hug if that has even one usable PC or TV. Thanks a ton, will report back with evidence.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 3:25 AM
Oh wait this isn't TS2 isn't it, haha that's fine I've done a few conversions by now. I also don't think you're supposed to hug people so I'll just give you a big thumbs up from over here

insert signature here
Test Subject
#23 Old 19th Jul 2021 at 4:12 PM
Bumping an old thread just to share some of the stuff I have downloaded long ago before the site went down. It's not much, a whole bunch of Smoogos and electronics, with some Smoogos made for Sims 3, while the rest of the content is for Sims 2.

https://mega.nz/file/4thEiSDY#BTGqE...goLgTjn_Ml_GE2U
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 13th Sep 2022 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Bump, but I had a whole bunch sent to me by someone whose name I can't even begin to remember. Sorry, but thanks a ton! Tthere's a whole bunch of them in here, in varying quality, but they've all been tested in-game and some of them look great. Others look fine. Then there's a few you need not bother with. Judge for yourself.
https://mega.nz/#F!v89jXILL!YghvqcvsXHGBETzJH6AREQ
Now for the bad news: these are TS3 only. Great news for me, potentially not so great news for you guys. The only way to get them in TS2 might be a manual, painstaking conversion process. I now have some experience of my own converting objects between the two games. It's not rocket science but you'd still rather not have to do it.

Speaking of which, are those PCs still out there somewhere?

In Mega Folder's I didn't see there, are still have the Sims 3 VPN Garage Cars?