Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2019 at 5:00 PM
Default The 'ultimate' house
I'm working on making the 'ultimate' house thats meant to have all the possible 'skill'/interactable objects, but i don't know how to go about making it look good, partially because different object from packs have very different visual styles and partially because some objects are jsut kinda hard to work with in a build eg: rocket, microscope, bowling alley etc. there's also a couple other things im trying to include such as: the collectibe room to display things like crystals, mounted fish, etc, a greenhouse that should have enough space to fit every type of plant and enough bedrooms for a family of 8.
I've made a shell of the house, but it quickly started to turn into a get famous styled mansion.

I'm mainly jsut looking for some help when it comes to building the shell of the house to make the whole build coherent. if you got any ideas or some pics for inspiration i'd greatly appriciate it
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 11:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gothiclolitapl
I'm working on making the 'ultimate' house thats meant to have all the possible 'skill'/interactable objects, but i don't know how to go about making it look good, partially because different object from packs have very different visual styles and partially because some objects are jsut kinda hard to work with in a build eg: rocket, microscope, bowling alley etc. there's also a couple other things im trying to include such as: the collectibe room to display things like crystals, mounted fish, etc, a greenhouse that should have enough space to fit every type of plant and enough bedrooms for a family of 8.
I've made a shell of the house, but it quickly started to turn into a get famous styled mansion.

I'm mainly jsut looking for some help when it comes to building the shell of the house to make the whole build coherent. if you got any ideas or some pics for inspiration i'd greatly appriciate it

UPDATE:
so far im keeping the main shell of the house and just stated decorating. I got the main kitchen, diving room, living room, office, butler's quarters, cinema, a 'conference/party rooms with instruments/dj etc'. in the basement i got all the physical activity stuff, so bowling, gym, climbing wall and a mini spa. i dont have a screenshot of it but i ended up putting the telescope at the top fo the building right udnerneath the glass 'dome' at the roof which i think ended up looking good.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#3 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 1:12 PM
Well. If you're looking for feedback, you should look under upload and choose the feedback forums for your game. This forum is for more technical questions.

Your floorplan pictures are too small and my OCD clicks in because of the rude tilted angle. I know it's silly, but if you would upload it here you wouldn't like your lot to come across as halfhassard or not properly thought through.

When it comes to the building I have a few points. The windows are very lovely, but they all comes in very high versions. You should look around for inspiration on other windows you can combine them with. On the roof terrace the windows looks like they cut through the roof.

Another thing with those windows is how fast it looks cluttered in my opinion. Too many of the big windows looks cluttered because of all the details I guess. For some reason I sometimes use the small windows on glass balconies like that. You should see wall sections without windows as just as important as walls with windows. Where I come from we like tons of windows, but it can easily become too many.

It's one of the teachings I picked up from art school. To observe the empty room as well as just the decoration. In this case the walls can be the empty space. It's easy to just stick in windows everywhere.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Well. If you're looking for feedback, you should look under upload and choose the feedback forums for your game. This forum is for more technical questions.

Your floorplan pictures are too small and my OCD clicks in because of the rude tilted angle. I know it's silly, but if you would upload it here you wouldn't like your lot to come across as halfhassard or not properly thought through.

When it comes to the building I have a few points. The windows are very lovely, but they all comes in very high versions. You should look around for inspiration on other windows you can combine them with. On the roof terrace the windows looks like they cut through the roof.

Another thing with those windows is how fast it looks cluttered in my opinion. Too many of the big windows looks cluttered because of all the details I guess. For some reason I sometimes use the small windows on glass balconies like that. You should see wall sections without windows as just as important as walls with windows. Where I come from we like tons of windows, but it can easily become too many.

It's one of the teachings I picked up from art school. To observe the empty room as well as just the decoration. In this case the walls can be the empty space. It's easy to just stick in windows everywhere.

What windows would you recommend then? Due to certrain object I have to stick to midium height walls, which im not a fan of, since many good windows come for short height walls. I based the layout of this house on some old fashioned british mansion i found online thinking that maybe the size would be ok for all the things im trying to fit. it looked alright in real life, but it does look too cluttered when you try to translate it into a sims build lol. i'll be honest at this point im feeling like i cant make it look good anymore from the outside, so im trying to at least furnish it nicely. like i agree with all your points and i know how to do nice window placement and what not on smaller lots, but this is so huge that tis overwhelming to work with
dodgy builder
#5 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 4:16 PM
Let me show you something I made then:

A Greek inspiration:

Her I have used the windows from Cats and Dogs I believe. There are a couple of sets fairly similar.

A classical Palace build, and I've used the same combination it seems.

If the windows look too short for the wall, you can have flowers by the base of the house and/or a trim at the top of the wall. Remember you can also have the windows closer to the middle of the wall.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 4:21 PM
Let me show you something I made then:

A Greek inspiration:

Her I have used the windows from Cats and Dogs I believe. There are a couple of sets fairly similar.

A classical Palace build, and I've used the same combination it seems.

If the windows look too short for the wall, you can have flowers by the base of the house and/or a trim at the top of the wall. Remember you can also have the windows closer to the middle of the wall.

looks good! after i finish furnishing the rooms i will go back and change up the windows. i got like the main living space finshed now and all thats left s the science and art stuff
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 9:49 PM
looks good! after i finish furnishing the rooms i will go back and change up the windows. i got like the main living space finshed now and all thats left s the science and art stuff

I played around with the outside a bit. I ended up deleting windows in the more narrow bumpouts and I scrapped the roof completely, not to mention the change in colour. cause i really like those windows, but the whole wihte-gold-black was a bit too much. Now though i need to change how i was gonna do some of the science stuff i planned for the roof tho.
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#8 Old 8th Dec 2019 at 11:29 PM
I played around with the outside a bit. I ended up deleting windows in the more narrow bumpouts and I scrapped the roof completely, not to mention the change in colour. cause i really like those windows, but the whole wihte-gold-black was a bit too much. Now though i need to change how i was gonna do some of the science stuff i planned for the roof tho.

Looks good. You can use the half roofs, don't remember the name. If you use them instead of fences.

What did you plan to have on the roof?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Dec 2019 at 7:30 PM
Looks good. You can use the half roofs, don't remember the name. If you use them instead of fences.

What did you plan to have on the roof?

originally the roof had like a glass dome at the top so when i out observatory inside it had a nice 'view' outside and it looked pretty cool on its own, but ti was very hard to make it work with the rest of the house. so i guess im gonna try and do it as a seperate 'science building' at the back of the lot maybe, havent decided yet
dodgy builder
#10 Old 9th Dec 2019 at 9:18 PM
originally the roof had like a glass dome at the top so when i out observatory inside it had a nice 'view' outside and it looked pretty cool on its own, but ti was very hard to make it work with the rest of the house. so i guess im gonna try and do it as a seperate 'science building' at the back of the lot maybe, havent decided yet

This is what I'm working on at the moment. I don't really like publishing pics of unpublished works like this, but whatever

I have been struggling with the same issue, how to fit a dome on a palace, for some time. This version might be good. The lot is very big, as well as the dome. It goes all the way down to the main floor though. It's so nice when the decoration on the dome reflects on the floor by the entrance.

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Dec 2019 at 10:57 PM
This is what I'm working on at the moment. I don't really like publishing pics of unpublished works like this, but whatever

I have been struggling with the same issue, how to fit a dome on a palace, for some time. This version might be good. The lot is very big, as well as the dome. It goes all the way down to the main floor though. It's so nice when the decoration on the dome reflects on the floor by the entrance.

I ended up doing something different. I stuck to glass roof idea, but i made it into a little 'greenhouse' if you will. I wanted to have a typical fancy backyard, which to be fair i probably shot myself in the foot cause now i dont know what to do with all the toddler playground objects, but oh well, i will leave tihs problem for another day. All i know now is that i got rid of the observatory from my list of objects to add, so thats one less problem
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#12 Old 11th Dec 2019 at 12:15 AM
Those 4 squares with the fountain in the middle, is a good idea. I might steal it if you don't mind
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Dec 2019 at 6:37 PM
Those 4 squares with the fountain in the middle, is a good idea. I might steal it if you don't mind

do it, its really an easy way to make a fancy looking pool/fountain situation. im still trying to figure out how to add some toher backyard stuff to it without runing the whole effect but i might build a mittle gazebo for bbq and things like that
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Dec 2019 at 12:04 PM
ok so i'm kinda 'finished' with this house, but not really because i kept few rooms empty since i dont have couple packs yet, so i left some space to work new things in when i get them for christmas. btw here's what i did about the 'playground'. it aint the best but at this point i was running out of space
Screenshots