Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2021 at 9:57 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Community Lot Populator Error
I wonder if anyone can help me with this. This has been happening since my hard drive died so essentially I have ported the game over to a new computer. (Fresh install of UC from Origin). This is a problem with the Visitor Controller, which I know is not a MTS supported mod, but since TwoJeffs is no longer active I thought maybe I could throw it out there and ask for help. I have also reached out to MidgeTheTree who made the version I'm using. But it happens with all three versions - Midge's, TwoJeffs' and Crisps&Kerosene's.

I have been playing with the Visitor Controller in this way for years and years so I don't see why I am suddenly having this problem. And I know it's an incredibly popular mod and many players use it - so again if this problem was widespread, I'd expect to read about it. As an aside - I'm also suddenly having the "Bright CAS" problem since porting to this new computer/HD even though I have the exact same graphics card as I had before and it didn't happen before. So I am maybe wondering if I have forgotten about some kind of essential Windows 10 set up thing that I would have done years ago but didn't think to do this time?

Anyway. What happens is this (it took me a while to figure out the sequence)

I take a sim to a community lot, spawn the visitor controller and instruct it to ban sims with several parameters. Note, it seems fine if I ban one or two. It's when I get a bit more complex (I sometimes want lots which only allow 3-4 different hobby types, or careers, for example).

The NEXT time I load this lot, the game starts going crazy and throwing "Flag reference is out of range" errors at me. If I delete, no visitors show up - not a very communal community lot. If I can catch the game to pause between (endless) resets and turn testingcheats off, the lot gets stuck at speed 3 and I can't pause or slow it down. Trying to load the lot without testingcheats on causes it to hang forever.

It happens when I take out every single other mod except the VC. It happens with all three versions of the VC. It doesn't happen without the VC but that is because I can't do the intervening step which causes the error to happen. It was happening in an old, established hood with over 400 sims, where I thought the culprit was corruption, and it happens in a brand new hood which definitely has no corruption. I let the game regenerate the Sims 2 UC folder and confirmed it also happens in Maxis hoods - I tested it in Strangetown as well.

I tend to play with empty templates/no regen mods but I don't think this is the issue if it happens in Maxis hoods too.

Chris Hatch has a mod which fixes it, but only on owned business lots, it still happens for me on lots nobody owns. It's really driving me crazy and making the game kind of unplayable - community lots are such a big part of my gameplay and I really like being able to modify who can show up!

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 20th Oct 2022 at 11:25 AM
Sorry to resurrect thread, but the fix is Midge's latest version of the Visitor Controller I had to load from an old backup, and vaguely remembered fixing this issue but couldn't work out how I'd done it. It's the "sim has no one true hobby" bug she mentions.

https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...ws-toga-parties

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...