Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2021 at 4:54 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Cannot Find Video Codec
Guys please help me. When I try to record for pageant, this displays. "No Valid Codec was found to compress Video. Please see readme for Instructions etc etc" When I say ok, the recorded file is very heavy. I try ModtheSims forum to install codec properly but nothing. I also Uninstall the game and Reinstall still nothing????. Guys any help I will appreciate.
Screenshots
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Mar 2021 at 5:23 PM
The game should install the On2 VP6 codec when you install it, maybe yours didn't install correctly. You could either alter your video ini file to point to a codec you do have installed, or you could try installing the VP6 codec from here:
https://web.archive.org/web/2006010...vp6_decoder.exe
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2021 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
The game should install the On2 VP6 codec when you install it, maybe yours didn't install correctly. You could either alter your video ini file to point to a codec you do have installed, or you could try installing the VP6 codec from here:
https://web.archive.org/web/2006010...vp6_decoder.exe

I already downloaded and Installed this on my machine. After Install do I need to do anything special? Because it's still same or how do I link it to my game?????
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Mar 2021 at 11:11 PM
First thing I would do is check what codecs you have installed; I'm suspecting that your computer has the codecs but the game isn't seeing them for some reason. What version of Windows are you running? Open Media Player, click Organize> Layout> Show Menu bar and then on the menu, click Help> About Windows Media Player. Click where it says 'Technical Support Information' and then when you get the popup asking which program to use, choose your browser. A page showing all sorts of info about your setup will open, if you scroll down you should see a list of Video Codecs like this:

Can you see in my list there is VP60 and VP61? Those are the ones installed by The Sims games. Do you have any of those listed?
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 6:28 AM
First thing I would do is check what codecs you have installed; I'm suspecting that your computer has the codecs but the game isn't seeing them for some reason. What version of Windows are you running? Open Media Player, click Organize> Layout> Show Menu bar and then on the menu, click Help> About Windows Media Player. Click where it says 'Technical Support Information' and then when you get the popup asking which program to use, choose your browser. A page showing all sorts of info about your setup will open, if you scroll down you should see a list of Video Codecs like this:

Can you see in my list there is VP60 and VP61? Those are the ones installed by The Sims games. Do you have any of those listed?

Thanks for the guide. Only VP70 is on my list. Well When I download the VP60 on the link you gave above, I run install. Then this dialog box comes up, reaches 100% and the app autocloses. I Open media player after still no VP 60 or 61 codec only my 70.
Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Mar 2021 at 3:04 PM
Did you try running the installer as an administrator?
Scholar
#7 Old 12th Mar 2021 at 4:06 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 13th Mar 2021 at 1:19 AM.
@tristannndianga

Just to verify, you could also use other video codecs on the list from the technical specs page from Window Media Player. Like it doesn't have to be VP60 or VP61, you can try other codecs if they work. For example, I have this list:

And in my VideoCapture file in the C:\Users\Admin-PC\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Movies (see correct directory to put the VideoCapture.ini file, per @simsample below) directory, I have this:

The codec XVID works for me, and it seems to be less intensive in that the game runs smooth versus choppy (at least for me). So if you try it, and the game can record the video, then go ahead with whatever codec you have installed.
Screenshots

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Mar 2021 at 11:42 AM
For clarification, that file can be found in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config for you to modify. It is called VideoCapture.ini
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 3:18 PM Last edited by tristannndianga : 13th Mar 2021 at 3:52 PM.
Did you try running the installer as an administrator?

Yes as administrator still nothing but it's ok now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
@tristannndianga

Just to verify, you could also use other video codecs on the list from the technical specs page from Window Media Player. Like it doesn't have to be VP60 or VP61, you can try other codecs if they work. For example, I have this list:

And in my VideoCapture file in the C:\Users\Admin-PC\Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Movies (see correct directory to put the VideoCapture.ini file, per @simsample below) directory, I have this:

The codec XVID works for me, and it seems to be less intensive in that the game runs smooth versus choppy (at least for me). So if you try it, and the game can record the video, then go ahead with whatever codec you have installed.

Thanks alot. I used the VP60 codec and It's just okay although Video Quality is little lower and I have to input these settings manually into the config file each time I want to record but it's Ok. Thanks alot...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 13th Mar 2021 at 5:17 PM
Well done for getting it working!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Mar 2021 at 3:28 PM
Just to add. For anyone doubting what codec to install, I recommend the XVID. You can download it from here

https://en.softonic.com/download/xv...s/post-download

Thanks alot ModtheSims for your help
Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Sep 2022 at 12:53 PM
I know this thread has been inactive for a year, but I had a few questions about the settings options in the .ini file.

there are a few configuration options that have no explanation as to what they are.

mode:#
minq:#
maxq:#
keyinterval:#
NoFillFrames=#

Anyone have any clue as to what these options are describing and what numerical values are valid for them?

these configuration options I have assumed the functions of:
datarate:#### # I'm guessing this is the video bitrate
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 5th Nov 2022 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by l3lake
I know this thread has been inactive for a year, but I had a few questions about the settings options in the .ini file.

there are a few configuration options that have no explanation as to what they are.

mode:#
minq:#
maxq:#
keyinterval:#
NoFillFrames=#

Anyone have any clue as to what these options are describing and what numerical values are valid for them?

these configuration options I have assumed the functions of:
datarate:#### # I'm guessing this is the video bitrate

mode is boolean idk what it does.
minq and maxq specify the min and max amount of data loss that every frame will get; higher numbers mean more data loss but smaller filesize.
keyinterval sets the time it takes in frames to create a keyframe. The keyframe is the full information of the image in a video as opposed to delta frames which only contain the information that has changed. The more frequent keyframes are generated, the larger the file size.