Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#26 Old 27th Mar 2022 at 1:39 PM Last edited by marydehoyos : 27th Mar 2022 at 2:15 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
So this is going to sound ...

I did "every" IP fix suggested on the net several years ago.... all except 2 things. One is I didn't bother with the Ellacharm's fixed world. I already had a game started then and it was a pain to restart and I have overwatch anyways. And the 2nd? I did not bother to do anything about stopping the houseboats from moving. I did not think it was a big deal since they rarely move the houseboats.

I even edited every lot myself personally to make sure there were no other possible lag and blocking, and there were several... especially having archways over the front door. However, when at home in their residence, NPCs really do just stand there so they shouldn't be a problem. Other things I did is I put in a subway from the main island to the 2nd large island with the NPC can use subway mod.

So it never occurred to me that even when 1 houseboat is moving it would create such a huge lag until I just recently noticed in my homeworld. In Bridgeport, I put up 7 ports and 5 houseboats. They rarely move, but when they do... the game lags like hell. I don't know why it took me so long to make the connection, but this is why I went back to IP and tried to see if I can stop them from moving the houseboat and yes, it makes a major impact.

I still get the occasional routing error lag, a few with NPC swimming under their houseboat or suck on a boat unable to unload on their home lot, but those are normal and not severe. The major unplayable lag is the houseboats moving around.

Thanks for the mod, the alternative of putting the helm in a hidden room... will still cause minor NPC routing tantrums, so this is a lot smoother.

Let me ask you a question because this just happened to me I'm not sure if it's the mod or something else I did last night. So I moved my houseboat after putting it in. We have been out to sea for a few days and now I can't move my houseboat at all. I keeps dropping the queue for the action. Which is super strange that it let me move it out there when I put this in and had no issues.

I did not change player directed so it should still let me move my houseboat back. I did however discover another ITUN called stop autopilot and I'm going to switch them out and see if that makes a difference.

So I went back and put in the Stop Auto Pilot which also had NPCs allowed to Autopilot and took out the Enter Helm one. This worked it allowed my player sims to move the houseboat but stopped NPCs from moving theirs.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d5...anges_3_24_2022

So if you want nobody to move houseboats and have them sit where they are use the Enter Helm one (although I still don't get why this no longer let me in because User Directed is set to true) Use the second file which is Stop Auto Pilot
Advertisement
Inventor
#28 Old 27th Mar 2022 at 10:40 PM
There are a shitload of problems with houseboats and yes, this is one of them and it is quite common. It is so bad that resetting the lot wouldn't do anything either. The only solution was to "shift click" on another part of the ocean and choose "teleport houseboat here." Your houseboat will instantly teleport to another part of the ocean and then the helm will work again. Sometimes you have to do this a couple of times. It is a really bad glitch. So often the NPC moves the houseboat only a few feet away from the port and it gets stuck like this and I can't move it. So I had to do this shift click a few times b/c I get helm control back.

There is another glitch similar to this which is more on the port side. Sometimes, it will not allow me to return to the assigned port with the same routing complaint at the helm. Even if you "give up the port" and then redock it, it won't work. I am forced to dock at a new port. Most times other boats then can use that port without problem. Sometimes it gets fixed after a save, but I remember a couple of times, the port was completely damaged and no one could use it, I had to delete the port and replace it.

Interesting! After I replaced it with the second mod I am having no issues with moving them now. I don't really play with houseboats often. It seems the second mod fixed the issue about moving them. I have been moving the house boat around now. If anything the first mod I will use for Greymont bay where I don't want the house boats to be functional at all but just to have the house on the water.
Inventor
#29 Old 27th Mar 2022 at 10:42 PM
I will continue to keep loading in and out of saves. But good to know they were buggy before I started messing with them! At least if people use one of the two tuning files it will stop NPCs from making a mess with them.
Inventor
#31 Old 28th Mar 2022 at 12:06 AM
wait, can you clarify them a bit? I'm under the impression the 1st one prevents any sort of NPC moving them, but still allow user control?

the 2nd only only stops autonomous "autopilot," but may still allow other NPC auto mode? Such as auto switch port?

Perhaps we can use both?

EDIT: you're right, the 1st one will prevent all interaction with the helm, even user control. Only "upgrade foghorn" will work. All other interaction gets cancelled immediately. I misread your previous post. The bugs I mentioned doesn't drop the queue, it gives you routing tantrum. So this is new.

You can only use one or the other

So yes the first one will not allow anyone to Enter the Helm. (though strange because I did not change User Directed actions) So First one - I would use if you don't want houseboats to move at all. So they would never have the chance to move. Not such a bad thing in some worlds. So essentially you could hide it behind some walls and make them nice dockside homes. Without getting the routing error that they can't get to the helm.

Second one will make it so the NPCs cannot drive their houseboats but User Directed can! So it stops them from performing Auto Pilot. I had someone else test these and she sent me video as well.

I tested the second one and haven't had an issue moving my houseboat now. I'm about to reload after saving it twice with the second one in and see what it does.
Inventor
#33 Old 28th Mar 2022 at 2:08 PM
Great! I like the 2nd one as well. I don't have a problem with the helm, I just dont like NPCs moving them without permission and lagging the game.

Thanks a bunch, this is a major game changer for IP, which virtually has been unplayable in my game for years.

You're welcome! glad to help!
Inventor
#35 Old 29th Mar 2022 at 1:29 PM
Ok, so I gotta report. I am using the 2nd one right now, but one of the NPC houseboats moved in my hometown. I think it only stops autopilot, but not autonomous change port.

Ok so then it's going to need a second one on moving ports. I keep watching and haven't seen them move. I think I'm just going to have play the sun in the sky and monitor.

So then the question is when they do move are you getting lag? The Autonomous change port can be added to this one. I have them all sitting in a folder so I will go add that one to this. I'm still perplexed why I can't get into the Helm with user directed on. Thanks for reporting back! This helps me get it right!
Inventor
#36 Old 29th Mar 2022 at 8:19 PM
Ok, so I gotta report. I am using the 2nd one right now, but one of the NPC houseboats moved in my hometown. I think it only stops autopilot, but not autonomous change port.

Ok here is what I have. So you have 3 options depending on what you want.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/d5...anges_3_24_2022

I moved the previous ones into a folder. Updated the Text file to explain changes made.

Mod 1
Helm_Stop_Auto_test_mad
This removes all NPCs and Player Sims capability to enter the Helm. So if you want Houseboats with no functionality. You can hide the Helm in a Room.

Mod 2
HOUSEBOAT_NPCS_DISSALLOW_PORT_CHANGE_03_29_22
This removes the Options for NPCS to change port.
Tested 3 Sim days
(wrote down each port and family to make sure they were in the same place for 3 days)
This can be used with Mod 1 and Mod 3

Mod 3
MTS_Helm_No_Auto_mad_updated_03_29_2022
This makes it so the User Can Enter the Helm but the NPCs Cannot (this is the fixed version from the original) - Use Standalone or with Houseboat_NPCS_dissallow_port_change

Mod 4
StopAutoPilot_Helm_Updated_03_29_22
Last but not Least!
This removes NPCs from Driving Houseboats and includes No Port Change for NPCS
Tested this combined mod (1 file) and it works
This is a stand alone and you do not need the Houseboat NPCS (Mod 2) I included the xml with the Itun in this file.

Please let me know if you have any issues or questions!
Also if you want more things I can keep adding more lol
Inventor
#38 Old 29th Mar 2022 at 9:04 PM
Thanks for your hard work! I'm just curious about #3, if they cannot enter helm then they shouldn't be able to change port either right? lol all of this is so confusing.

Um I'll give 3 a test first b/c it is upgraded from the previous one which I already tested 3 days. Now just need to see if the user functionality works and see if it still prevents NPC from changing port.

So, I don't know how is it for other people, but in my Bridgeport hometown even 1 houseboat moving around would greatly lag the game. Like even when you rotate the camera, it keeps pausing and mini-freezes. But my hometown is quite bloated. It is taking me 40 mins to save now.

Thanks again, I'll report back after a couple of sim days.

So go figure (like I said the logic in this game). Changing Ports for NPCs is not tied to the fact they can't drive the houseboat. It's a different thing all together. So in my digging. (Which is one of the standalones as well as now put into the one that lets your player move the houseboat) NPC's Changing Ports is it's own thing that would occur between certain times and had a rate of 1.5 percent that they would change ports. So I took the Changing Ports XML for NPCS and changed the it from 1.5 to 0 percent chance they would move ports. So even if you want just houseboats that don't move when NPCs live in them just stopping them from entering the Helm isn't enough. So I created three flavors so you can pick and choose how you want houseboats to function.

I am having zero lag and I am playing in Island Paradise. I have a family of 5 living on a house boat and I have moved ports three times. Just to make sure I can still move them. Once each day.
I also figured out by using Nraas > Debug Enabler on the Castle I can set the Arch to be the front doorway (now I don't need to remove it or worry it's going to cause routing issues)
I went through a bunch of Ellacharms fix list and just made the fixes on my own. I haven't deleted any families just fixed some of the stuff that went wrong with the lots. I did move the Scott's into their own houseboat. So I could work on that lot.
Not sure about Bridgeport as I haven't tackled that mess yet. It's been a long time since I even attempted that world. Are you playing a Fixed Bridgeport or just the normal Bridgeport?
Inventor
#40 Old 29th Mar 2022 at 11:29 PM
That's the funny thing. It doesn't lag when I move the houseboat. It only lags when the NPC does it.

I have been playing this Bridgeport since when it first came out. So is it a "fixed" version? It is the version I fixed. It has no "hidden" rooms on the bottom of any highrise, all changed to a darken public room with a door for exit. It runs quite fine, until I added 7 ports and 5 houseboats.

Hahahaha well hopefully now with the mods it won’t be so bad!! They can’t move anything (I hope) till you find something else then I will go find that and add it to the list
Inventor
#42 Old 30th Mar 2022 at 2:40 AM
lol yeah, that's why it is a game changer. I think from your previous explanation, I should try #4 b/c I don't want NPCs moving the houseboat at all while allowing the user to move it. I'll switch to this test instead and report back. Thanks again!

4 is what I put in mine now and it’s going great. I just wanted to give options in case anyone wanted to keep certain things or wanted to make completely undriveable houseboats
Inventor
#43 Old 30th Mar 2022 at 5:10 PM
lol yeah, that's why it is a game changer. I think from your previous explanation, I should try #4 b/c I don't want NPCs moving the houseboat at all while allowing the user to move it. I'll switch to this test instead and report back. Thanks again!

4th Version has been released here.

https://modthesims.info/d/665907/re...houseboats.html

I had to scramble to watch for it's release so I could update it. With the 4th Version
Page 2 of 2