Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Nov 2022 at 6:24 PM Last edited by JesseMichaels19 : 9th Nov 2022 at 6:44 PM.
Default Wavering after installing...
Hey, guys. This is just a general question / discussion about Sims 4. I hope I posted in the right place. If not, it can be moved.

I have been an avid Sims 2 player for over a decade. I love the game, and so much that I refused to move on to Sims 3, 4, etc. However, I just installed Sims 4 when it was free over this last holiday. I figured, what the heck. It's free, I can check it out. If I don't like it - I didn't waste any money on it.

I have to admit, there are some awesome new things about it, including scenarios, house aspirations, cool building tools, etc. BUT, I am also greatly disappointed in the lot limitation. As my Sim takes a jog, I'm looking at all the housing we aren't supposed to go into and can't even use! So, really limited on Sim / house additions or being able to have more than just a few houses / lots to create in comparison with Sims 2. I'm a builder, and a large portion of my gaming consists of just designing and building. So, you can imagine my disappointment when I see that the neighborhoods are SO much smaller. Also, going into empty homes to remodel isn't as convenient as Sims 2.

I'm just wondering if any of you have had this experience and if you were able to just enjoy the scenario part of this, or let me know if there is an aspect of the game you prefer over Sims 2. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and keep it as opposed to dumping it. I'd appreciate some feedback before I give up on it completely.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Nov 2022 at 11:06 PM
Only you can decide this. I have voiced my opinion about the microscopic sized worlds many times. Comparisons of this vs. other versions have been done many, many, many times. It is all a personal choice. 3 is my go to game. Play as long as holds your interest then head back to 2. If after a while you have no interest to go back to 4 then dump if sure you will never want again. But IMO do not rush to dump as you like some things, at least yet. I have not played 4 anywhere near as much as 3, but still like to dabble in it now and then.
Scholar
#3 Old 10th Nov 2022 at 1:24 PM
TS4 is very difficult game to accept as it is, to play you have to be in a good mood, and expect problems, and to just try to work around them.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Nov 2022 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
TS4 is very difficult game to accept as it is, to play you have to be in a good mood, and expect problems, and to just try to work around them.

I totally agree. I try to not compare the versions when in each, but of course we cannot help it. No CASt and no open world drives me nuts in 4 as well as other things, but there are things I like. And when I am in 3 I want to resize something, or move something up and down a wall, or whatever, and miss some of the things from 4. Then want to use a certain light or something, and UM, no, that is in 4 and not 3. And I like the search capability in 4.

I hope we get the best of the prior versions for 5, but am not holding my breath for that to happen as odds it will not
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Nov 2022 at 11:14 PM
I've been playing TS4 since launch on and off. I check back a few times a year to see what's new. The most enjoyment I get out of the game is from CAS. I can spend hours just making sims and updating old ones with all the new content from updates. Outside of CAS, I find the gameplay lackluster without mods though. Build Mode is fine to mess around with, but I won't be sinking 100+ hours into it like in the Sims 3. TS4 doesn't inspire that kind of passion in me.

With that said, TS4 has its charm and whimsy. I remember idling about in Live Mode when I heard my angry sim slam the fridge door. I actually jumped a bit in my seat, wondering what the heck their problem was. Also, this might be the one game where I don't try to play seriously or build legacies. I just find things I haven't explored before and create a household to do so. It's a nice change of pace from all the planning and world-building I do in the other games. TS4 is not an ambitious game and I don't play as if it is. Could it be a more polished product? Definitely, but for what it is TS4 is an okay game to play from time to time.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Nov 2022 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simgamer18955
I've been playing TS4 since launch on and off. I check back a few times a year to see what's new. The most enjoyment I get out of the game is from CAS. I can spend hours just making sims and updating old ones with all the new content from updates. Outside of CAS, I find the gameplay lackluster without mods though. Build Mode is fine to mess around with, but I won't be sinking 100+ hours into it like in the Sims 3. TS4 doesn't inspire that kind of passion in me.

With that said, TS4 has its charm and whimsy. I remember idling about in Live Mode when I heard my angry sim slam the fridge door. I actually jumped a bit in my seat, wondering what the heck their problem was. Also, this might be the one game where I don't try to play seriously or build legacies. I just find things I haven't explored before and create a household to do so. It's a nice change of pace from all the planning and world-building I do in the other games. TS4 is not an ambitious game and I don't play as if it is. Could it be a more polished product? Definitely, but for what it is TS4 is an okay game to play from time to time.

You are a lot like me. I play legacy style in 3 and my family is 30 some generations and that includes much time off for CAW, building, some 4, and just doing other things. I started in 4 and got to generation 6 and then quit the family. I do the same that make a new household and build to try new EP or whatever, then am bored enough soon enough I head back to 3 which has never bored me. Once I have touched all of the few lots in the 4 worlds I pretty much lose interest. And not to mention the game blew away over half my saves, which I was not happy about. I wish I could see number of hours I have spent in 3. Probably tens of thousands. I am not sure have hit 1000 yet in 4?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2022 at 5:05 PM
Thanks, guys. I am aware it is ultimately my decision and everyone has different likes and dislikes, but all this feedback really helped me quite a bit. I do think that even though I got the game for free, it would be a mistake to dump it, when I can just do scenario's. Those kind of remind me of Sim City 3000's scenario's. Fun to do. Also, with what you guys have said about Sims 3, I might even look into that. I'm not saying I might something I love more than Sims 2, but I didn't realize how much Sims 3 had going. I just didn't like the way the Sims looked and made a quick judgement call on it. But, maybe I'll use Sims 4 for what I do enjoy and keep 2 for creating family dynasties and building play. I appreciate the feedback.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 21st Nov 2022 at 10:27 PM
3 is still my fave. I liked 1 when played, liked 2 when played, and about a month into 3 the others were uninstalled. One of reasons I love 3 among many is I love CAW and love to build. Have too many worlds going now and was up all last night doing some lots. All versions have their pros and cons, but 3 is still my go to game.

The base game may be free now. Try it!
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Nov 2022 at 1:29 AM
I prefer 2 to 3, but 2 lets me indulge all my control freak impulses.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 22nd Nov 2022 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JesseMichaels19
Thanks, guys . . . . Also, with what you guys have said about Sims 3, I might even look into that. I'm not saying I might something I love more than Sims 2, but I didn't realize how much Sims 3 had going. I just didn't like the way the Sims looked and made a quick judgement call on it. . . .

This was the main reason why I moved so quickly from Sims 3 to 4. I did like the gameplay of 3, but what I really enjoy the best of 4 is the sims themselves. I realize that's not important to everyone, and I cannot really say why I do, but I find the biggest attraction I have to any game is how realistic the humans look in that game. Hence, the more human the sims look in 5, the more likely I'll jump the 5 bandwagon (well, at least 'til I find out how lacking it is in other areas.)

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury