Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 12:50 PM
Default Remember Will Wright's "Hivemind" project? Apparently it sounds like its going to be another Sims competitor
https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6391...E4LcFwgbJ446tts

EA better watch out, because I think relatively soon, we're going to have a number of spiritual successors to The Sims
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Jun 2021 at 1:22 PM
It's certainly possible.

Has anyone actually taken the survey to get more details? The "simulation" label in the very beginning is very vague. "Simulation" refers to a wide variety of types of games, not just life simulation games like The Sims.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Forum Resident
#3 Old 22nd Jun 2021 at 7:59 AM
On the offchance your assessment is true, EA is sooooo f***ed! They already are with at least two competitors, but if it were 3? There wouldn't be a chance in hell that they don't lose most of their playerbase.
Test Subject
#4 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
On the offchance your assessment is true, EA is sooooo f***ed! They already are with at least two competitors, but if it were 3? There wouldn't be a chance in hell that they don't lose most of their playerbase.

What are the competitors? I don't think I've heard of them.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 8:13 PM
I wasn't eligible to take the survey

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Forum Resident
#6 Old 2nd Jul 2021 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Adorbs_Lil_Puddin
What are the competitors? I don't think I've heard of them.

Paralives ofc, and the newest one is AlterLife. They are both very much early in development, but the more competitors there are, the more chance of at least one of them being good enough to topple EA's monopoly on life sims. (Defs rooting for Paralives tbh. What we have seen has had such wonderful levels of detail) It's really not a hard feat though. EA's current standards are abysmal. Just one of these games has to be not horrid, and EA literally will be unable to compete without restructuring their entire business model and development teams responsible for The Sims' current state.
Test Subject
#7 Old 4th Jul 2021 at 3:58 AM
Paralives ofc, and the newest one is AlterLife. They are both very much early in development, but the more competitors there are, the more chance of at least one of them being good enough to topple EA's monopoly on life sims. (Defs rooting for Paralives tbh. What we have seen has had such wonderful levels of detail) It's really not a hard feat though. EA's current standards are abysmal. Just one of these games has to be not horrid, and EA literally will be unable to compete without restructuring their entire business model and development teams responsible for The Sims' current state.

I only ask because while I see the names, I don't see the actual (true) comparison to the Sims. And this Hivemind thing doesn't have many, if any, details. Though given that Wright's behind it, it's very possible by vague context clues alone. Aaaaand he's probably miffed that EA turned The Sims into something similar to their Sports Game schemes (sell us the same stuff but with small tweaks).
Instructor
#8 Old 4th Jul 2021 at 4:53 PM
If this was the game that Will Wright was talking about a couple of years ago in a long interview at some conference or other it doesn't seem anything like the Sims games.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...etail&FORM=VIRE
Test Subject
#9 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 2:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
If this was the game that Will Wright was talking about a couple of years ago in a long interview at some conference or other it doesn't seem anything like the Sims games.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...etail&FORM=VIRE

Thanks for the post with Wright details, but wholey schmoley the Bing link thoooooo.
Instructor
#10 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 7:33 PM
Thanks for the post with Wright details, but wholey schmoley the Bing link thoooooo.

Can't be bothered changing it at the moment and Bing already know all about me these days with Office etc. and a new Windows 10 update I put in yesterday. Everything reverts to their settings! I'd rather use DuckDuckGo than Google.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 5:55 PM
I only ask because while I see the names, I don't see the actual (true) comparison to the Sims. And this Hivemind thing doesn't have many, if any, details. Though given that Wright's behind it, it's very possible by vague context clues alone. Aaaaand he's probably miffed that EA turned The Sims into something similar to their Sports Game schemes (sell us the same stuff but with small tweaks).

As I said, with this particular case "on the offchance this is true". But Paralives and Alterlife are LITERALLY life simulators in the same vain as The Sims! Esp with Paralives, look into it! They just released an entire video of build mode and it is phenomenal, even this early on.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 4:58 PM
As I said, with this particular case "on the offchance this is true". But Paralives and Alterlife are LITERALLY life simulators in the same vain as The Sims! Esp with Paralives, look into it! They just released an entire video of build mode and it is phenomenal, even this early on.

This isn't Afterlife, is it? https://store.steampowered.com/app/557240/Afterlife/ Do you have the link to more information on Afterlife, if it's not that?

BTW, Hivemind is actually a market research company. That must have gotten confused with a game Hivemind was doing market research FOR. https://hivemind.zone/ (I got the domain name from the link in OP.) I have no idea what was in that survey (or potential game). It's long gone.

Sims 3 ID, Origin, Twitter , etc.: SimmerLella
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 7:11 PM
Yeah, that's Afterlife all right.
Theorist
#14 Old 2nd Sep 2021 at 8:25 PM
Not gonna lie, AlterLife (not Afterlife, @simmerlella ) looks pretty suspect.

And as for the game Will Wright is developing, is that the same thing he spoke about years and years ago that's basically some app about real life rather than a game?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Theorist
#15 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 11:29 AM
Hey, sorry for the double post, just wanted to clarify that Will Wright's new game does not seem to be Sims-like.
It's a social (as in multi-player) MOBILE game about collecting memories and "self-discovery" :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...d=1632997467278

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 30th Sep 2021 at 12:30 PM
Interview with him about this from a couple of days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VF3v7hILA
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 1:26 AM
It looks quite strange to me so far. But I will want more info. when actually releases. I do not think is any threat to Sims though whatsoever. Totally different.
Instructor
#18 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 2:55 PM
I might get it, if I can understand how to play it properly, that is.

It is the sort of game that if you played it truthfully you could present it at the Pearly Gates saying "That's what I did" and then St. Peter telling you where you got it wrong!
Theorist
#19 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 8:24 PM Last edited by Orphalesion : 1st Oct 2021 at 11:20 PM.
In any case right now it sounds like nothing I'd be interested in.

And really the information that Will Wright's new "software toy" is about collecting and comparing real world experiences has been on the internet for some time (though it shows up so sporadically that people are very much forgiven of not having heard of it) and Will Wright strikes me as the sort of person who rather looks for new ways to push the boundaries about what games can be rather than re-doing something he already did, so I'm not expecting a Sims-like game from him.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 8:31 PM
One thing, is it looks like this is somewhat dependent on online sharing/playing and I am not an online player for most things. And I do not have any friends that would play to share impressions of experiences and so on. Odds are I will have no interest in this.

And I am not the type of person who would want to share thoughts about if we wanted to do our piano recitals or not, and so on. That is just not me.
Smeg Head
#21 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 9:12 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 1st Oct 2021 at 9:54 PM.
I don't know how much depth the software can have regarding relaying associated memories, especially if the end game is to have a "well-developed" proxi of oneself - kind of like and AI of your life - then communicate with other AI proxis.

It's all well and good incorporating into a memory proxi: "age ten lean to ride bike." Most people can understand the basics of that. But how much shared fun is that? And what about the more complicated intricacies of a person's memory. "Learned to bake a chocolate cake age eleven." Now what that means to an individual experience can be quite significant in why it's an important memory at all, the many layers of depth, emotional and personal, to the experience. But to an AI proxi, it will mean nothing more than what you type in as text, no more depth than that. Unless user is to also write up little novels of subtext to relay the personal significance beyond the surface understanding. Who is going to want to read all that?

In the end, reading memories of other proxis, will only remind you what you forgot to include in your own. Such as the age when learning to ride a bike. Reading that of someone else, will only remind you of your experience, - if any - not theirs. And of course make you go back to edit your proxi to include your time learning to ride a bike. All very self serving. Not much more than reinventing the personal diary. A nice family tool, perhaps. Like a family photo album, a parent looking into their child's well-developed memory proxi might have sentimental value. But me taking a keen interest in Joe Blogg's proxi, nah, not interested. And AI proxis communicating with other AI proxis? Hell why?! Some new form of dating, matchmaking app? Only to find your AI proxi is off having a better life than you. Ouch! Reminiscent of the 2013 film "Her." Also sounds like a tool ripe for hacking personal data. Then again, I doubt anyone will be adding any of their most darkest, unethical, immoral and unlawful memories to their public shared proxi. Because who would be that stupid?

As a standalone software, I just don't know. But does sound like something that would be a nice addition to the likes of Facebook accounts. But what do I know, I hardly use that.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
#22 Old 1st Oct 2021 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Also sounds like a tool ripe for hacking personal data. ...As a standalone software, I just don't know. But does sound like something that would be a nice addition to the likes of Facebook accounts. But what do I know, I hardly use that.

Sad thing is many will share things they should not share. I am on FB a lot for doll and miniature groups, but I see those "games" all the time and it blows my mind that people bother to answer them as who cares, and they answer things that are security questions. Some folks just do not think things through and will divulge way too much publicly. Not smart at all.

And I agree about your assessment of the AI. And I also really do not care when someone learned to ride a bike and why should anyone care when I did?
Smeg Head
#23 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 4:48 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 2nd Oct 2021 at 5:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
And I also really do not care when someone learned to ride a bike and why should anyone care when I did?

Aye, and as a consequence, certain folks - braggadocios, blatherskites and bullshitters - will start adding the most fantastical memories imaginable, just to outdo each other, just to make their lives appear more lived and outrageous than most. Like that time I sky-dived out of a plane to land on a moving train. Then ran to front of train, dived off that into a river of molten lava, as it was on an active volcanic island in the Pacific. Swam through lava to other bank mostly unharmed by the heat, as I smothered my body in a mix of whale fat and seal fat. Of which, a year beforehand, I went to arctic and killed the animals with my bare hands, in preparation for the plane-train-lava stunt. How amazing am I? Beat that memory, if you can, you boring dullards.

Yep, all true. It certainly will seem so when I've finished including the memory into my proxi.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Forum Resident
#24 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 2:51 PM
Will likes to transgress, but also the money.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#25 Old 3rd Oct 2021 at 11:40 AM
As I understood it, it's to track ownership of in-game assets, who has the right to use what. But it's all a little above my head I must admit, so I can't be sure.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Page 1 of 2