Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 8:14 PM
Default Trouble with Repository Technique
So this started because I want to recolor the seating from Kestrelteens 4t2 Apartment Therapy conversion. I realized after extracting the textures that they're all identical, which seemed like a great opportunity to finally learn how to slave objects.

Except after about a dozen attempts, I still can't get it to work. Either the loading screen freezes and never unfreezes, or the game just crashes before it can load. I've been following HugeLunatic's tutorial and I caught a few mistakes I made on the first couple of attempts, but at this point I'm at a loss for what I'm doing wrong. If anyone can offer any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd really like to conquer this.

I'm sharing the unedited package I picked for my master file, as well as the edited slave file (the one with the sils prefix).
Attached files:
File Type: rar  silsapartmenttherapy.rar (149.6 KB, 4 downloads)
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 8:42 PM
In the GMND you have two tsMaterialsMeshName lines. Having two probably causes an issue, I know errors in the GMND can cause crashes. Maybe you added one when one already existed? The first one has nothing in the Item list and the second has a typo, or rather a capitalization issue. Try deleting one, making sure to remove one of the entries in the Datalist Extension List.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st May 2022 at 9:30 PM
Hi again --

Thank you so much for reply, I really appreciate it. I apologize for not responding sooner; I wanted to make sure I thoroughly bashed my skull against SimPE before I came staggering back here again.

So I saw what you were talking about with the tsMaterialsMeshName lines and tried to rectify it, first by editing the package I'd uploaded previously and then starting from scratch. That line is already there when I open the original package; I'm not sure why. But regardless, I simply cannot get it to stop crashing the game.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try some different meshes altogether in case there's something wonky with those files and now my game doesn't crash but the slave object doesn't show up at all. I'm uploading the new project because I feel like that's a little closer to actually functioning, but I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong. ><;; I apologize if I'm missing something obvious/doing something silly, I've never done anything more complicated with SimPE than recolors before.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  modishposters.rar (176.4 KB, 3 downloads)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#4 Old 2nd May 2022 at 5:01 PM
Yea, sometimes the line for tsMaterialsMeshName is in the GMND, with no entries. It's like Maxis was considering repo'ing it to something and changed their minds.

I like to use Sticky Notes to paste lines in, because then you can easily tell if the lines don't match. If you look at the shpe image, you can see the repo object has one subset with the correct name (poster), but the second (frame) is not.

Then if you look at the gmnd you'll see you have just one subset listed in the tsMaterialsMeshName. So for that you'll add a string entry to enable the second subset (frame).

If you make those two changes, I think it'll work correctly. If a repo item is crashing your game, it's most likely the gmnd where the datalist and blocklist don't have an equal number of entries. Or in the datalist the Enabled is listed at 0x00 rather than 0x01.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd May 2022 at 8:00 PM
Thank you again for your help -- I really appreciate you taking the time to look at my files and walk me through this. ^^ Also, thank you for the sticky notes tip! I'll start using those going forward. I'm going to try making the changes this evening, hopefully I return victorious this time.