Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2022 at 10:36 AM
Default WIP Hair Mohawk - First edit mesh (Need advice and tips from experienced modders)
I made a hair mesh for the first time, I wanted this type of Mohawk from the 80-90s for a very long time.
It's still under development, do you have any suggestions to fix it?
P.S. My mesh works correctly only through one name "hair", that is, without layers, like "hair_alpha". The game does not see it that way, you have to connect the back of the head with the hair and chemically so that both the back of the head and the hair can be seen in the game.
Screenshot for blender editor.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jul 2022 at 12:22 PM
I suggest you take a look at how an EA hair mesh, and also a CC mesh is built up and how it compares to the textures (there are usually a few differences, because a lot of CC meshes don't utilize the "hair" group other than leaving it be, but EA meshes tend to have it textured). You should also read up on hair tutorials if you want more details on how to use the different groups.

The "Hair" group is connected to the skin texture via the skin shader ("SimSkin", found in the "cMaterialDefinition" tab in the TXMT settings, needed for the head to take on the proper texture), and any hair parts you put on this layer needs to be fully meshed and can't have alpha-editable parts (parts that go invisible), because any non-textured parts will be covered in skintone. This can be used as an effect, if you for instance want a shaved look for the rest of the head instead of completely bald.

If you want parts that go invisible, for a more "hairy" look, these parts need to be on a "hair_alpha" layer (name can vary a bit, but the important thing is that it's alpha-enabled). This needs the "SimStandardMaterial" shader. This layer need to be in addition to the "Hair" layer, not instead of. For the mesh, you need one front and one back group (these can be named the same), but you can make do with one texture group per front/back set, because this creates fewer resources and smaller files. If you UVmap the hair properly and layer the groups from the innermost to the outer one (otherwise they can cause transparency issues), you can make do with just one texture for a hair. The "Hair" group should always be the innermost layer.

If you want a layered look with stripes and/or many colors, you may need more than one group set and more texture maps, although this will cause a larger filesize and a lot of texture maps to keep control of when recoloring.

A couple of basic tutorials/tips to read through
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=158048 (basics)
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=252950 (neeed-to-know)