Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jan 2021 at 3:23 PM
Default Want to start modding. Where do I begin?
Hi all,

I have got a few ideas for mods, and I would like to try my hand at possibly making them myself but not sure where to start. The ideas all seem fairly big so I am trying to narrow it down to the minimal then progress forward.

The one idea (that may be the simplest) is a broken arm for the sim to get. Like a step up from the sprains they can get, the break working like a long er affecting pulled muscle (they can’t use gym equipment).

So I assume that the first step for me would be to make a custom buff? Is that too big for a first mod attempt? Or would the triggering of the buff be harder?

Would it be ok to look at similar mods and how they are coded to learn the steps needed?

Honestly the coding is my biggest worry about modding.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2021 at 6:00 PM Last edited by MizoreYukii : 8th Apr 2021 at 11:56 PM.
Start by understanding how tuning works and reading tutorials, then move on to making the buff you described. To trigger the buff you can have it be added via a loot, then inject that loot into EA loots with XML Injector to avoid overriding anything, and this way they can do something like soccer and randomly break their arm. Yes you can generally look at other mods, but check to see if they have a TOU first as some may say to specifically not to.

Here are resources to get you started.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2021 at 6:27 PM
Thank you so much