Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#10326 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 6:35 PM
I'd recommend anybody wanting to build with platforms watch a few videos before attempting them. Some game-changers have found out all the pitfalls and possible uses of them like spiral stairs etc.,as they've had more time to find out. I now feel ready to attempt building with them after losing my windows and walls all the time. lilsimsie, James Turner, Kate Emerald ....qv

It's no good telling me what a rubbish gamemaker EA/Maxis is when I'm getting so much enjoyment out of Sims 4. I just mix and match everything in each world and it works for me. It's getting me through self-isolating in this crisis.
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#10327 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 7:01 PM
In some ways the bugs give me a challenge

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#10328 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear
If a game changer pays for a pack with their own money and does a giveaway (which FYI many do) it’s drawn fair and square with a number generator and open to all in their community. ...

I won a giveaway at Sims VIP for Get to Work. They do this for each release I think. They are legit copies/codes.
Top Secret Researcher
#10329 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 8:07 PM
I saw somewhere a tutorial on what all those tags in the xml files mean. I think it was done by EA. Anyone know what I'm gibbering about? If you do, could you point me at it? I have a little bit of time and would like to make some mods.

Sims are better than us.
#10330 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I saw somewhere a tutorial on what all those tags in the xml files mean. I think it was done by EA. Anyone know what I'm gibbering about? If you do, could you point me at it? I have a little bit of time and would like to make some mods.

Do you mean this?
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/di...4-tdescs#latest
Probably somewhere in that forum there is in-depth explanation of them

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#10331 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
I'm sorry for jumping on you like that, I misunderstood your comment and I didn't mean to be rude, and I for sure didn't mean for someone else to accuse you of something. I apologize. I'll remove my comment.

Apology accepted. :-)

I’m not sure about lifestyles so far, my sim has got people person because she has a lot of friends but I think there’s a bug as every sim that has come and interrupted her on dates has become friends with her with minimal interaction. Not sure I like it but I guess I’m not surprised.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10332 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 1:11 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 16th Nov 2020 at 1:49 AM.
There's a trick to put roofs on platforms/halfwalls, and I'm literally #shaking right now omg
Screenshots

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
#10333 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 9:01 AM Last edited by Inge Jones : 16th Nov 2020 at 10:19 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
There's a trick to put roofs on platforms/halfwalls, and I'm literally #shaking right now omg

Brilliant! That should sort out my over-tall tinyhouseontrailer problem - well, assuming I don't need the platform there and can simply pop it onto the wall

Later: Hmm, I can get a roof there but it removes the gable wall from my roof if I have half walls rather than the platform.

Later still: I needed to pay better attention. It's working now :D

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10334 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 12:47 PM
It’s very annoying and doesn’t work exactly how you’d want it to, but whatever.

Top Secret Researcher
#10335 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 6:34 PM
I see Carl's review is out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugKERK-cLiw
Scholar
#10336 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 10:33 PM
"Proper" sims bow when meeting new sims and the sim they're meeting bows back. I didn't think Proper meant they'd be doing that lol.

Not for at least a century I think, But then, I don't even know how you would portray nowadays proper sims. If this is one of the lifestyles, it seems a very vague one to me. Even Ms. Bucket (Pronounced Bouquet, please do so or she will show up on your doorstep and will never stop complaining and report you to the Vicar.) doesn't bow.
dodgy builder
#10337 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 11:42 AM
I reached the top lot the other day. It's 20x20 has it's own zoning type and it cannot be changed. No one ever comes there except your active sim, and no npc can work in the bar.

I hope a modder can fix this.

If this was in Norway it would be a fav on internet and people would go there without proper winter clothing, and they would take up resources from the red cross because they can't get to the top as they planned.

When it comes to the use of proper greating, remember this is suppose to be Japan.
Lab Assistant
#10338 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 12:37 PM
PleasantSims had a nice Let's Play/Review yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kadhyttPYHQ

Rob Riemensnyder is the biggest coward who ever lived. Stay away from him.
Instructor
#10339 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 12:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by adamsavagefan

Turned it off when she mentioned generational players and kept apologising for mispronunciation of the names. I'm not into that and telling people not to buy something. It's another world with building and new objects for me. I haven't even skied yet.

I expect a generations pack will be sometime in the future as someone has discovered new code in the game for babies. Help!
Theorist
#10340 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 1:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by adamsavagefan

I can't say with absolute certainty, but me thinks she was on a verge of tears towards the end.  The reality of what TS4 is versus what she wants it to be is becoming more and more obvious with each pack.

She's right, TS4 is a builder game and as long as people don't mind forcing their sims to do things either for game play or to make machinima, then TS4 works for those kinds of people.  I have yet to stumble across a comment thread where people are not talking about how the only reason they play TS4 is because of mods.  I'm also seeing a major uptick in people talking about going back to TS2 and TS3.  Whether those comments hold as much water as those that talk about using mods, I don't know.  Going back to TS2 and TS3 has been used as a form of a 'threat' when EA doesn't produce packs people want and has been for a long time. Since EA won't post sales numbers, the only way to really know is to watch how quiet the sims community as a whole becomes.  When people are happy with a game they are playing, they're not wasting their time making 'threats' or bitching on places like Twitter.

All of this on top of the the bug problems and everything else that is wrong with TS4.  If it was EA's plan to abandon people that actually like to play, they should just cut the shit right now.  They should have cut the shit a long time ago, but after the whole 'sentiments' thing failed with purpose ( it was a sales pitch with nothing behind it, just like the train station) they should call TS4 what it is.  They won't of course because honesty is a poison pill for sales, but there are only so many times a person is willing to pre-order a pack only to not be able to play it because their game crashes all the time; assuming it will load in the first place.

The death of a franchise by a million cuts.  It will be interesting to see how the builder game holds up over the next few years.  I only say that Android Wilson keep claiming TS4 is going to have the best year ever every time he has a conference call with his Wall Street overlords.  He has been saying this since 2018. Through sheer arrogance and ignorance, he has no clue WTF is going on. Those conference calls are to dazzle people with lots of money so he can continue to screw people over, it has nothing to do with making a game the best it can be. If it wasn't for Wall Street money, EA would have been out of business a long time ago. A profit of $198 million sounds like a really big number for most people, but in reality, it is pathetic for a company as big as EA.  They have studios all over the world, that wouldn't be the case if they didn't have a inflow of cash coming from other places.  There are TS4 players that to this day insist that TS4 makes EA billions of dollars.  Sorry, Grasshoppers, but no.  TS4 is down at the bottom of the food chain; it sits with Apex Legends.  I'm surprised there hasn't been TS4 Battle Royale pack yet.

All the cash made from previous games was spent, a long time ago.  Bookkeeping does not work for things that have happened over 20 years, one has to look at current numbers.  Profits from 10 or whatever years ago don't count.  And even then, The Sims did not bring in billions of dollars.
Mad Poster
#10341 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 2:00 PM
"Proper" sims bow when meeting new sims and the sim they're meeting bows back. I didn't think Proper meant they'd be doing that lol.

Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
Not for at least a century I think, But then, I don't even know how you would portray nowadays proper sims. If this is one of the lifestyles, it seems a very vague one to me. Even Ms. Bucket (Pronounced Bouquet, please do so or she will show up on your doorstep and will never stop complaining and report you to the Vicar.) doesn't bow.

You'd think they would have gated this behind a visible 'Japanese trait' to avoid cluttering the already cluttered menu and to allow players to make more unique sims, but I suppose not.

Again, I still think that despite all the talk about representation, the TS4 has ended up again with mostly visual representation, and less so actual tangible behavioral ones.
Mad Poster
#10342 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I'm also seeing a major uptick in people talking about going back to TS2 and TS3.

And it's probably continue to grow, as more and more are stopping taking shits from Maxis/EA tactics of catering shareholders. TS5 will certaintly stop catering even more type of players because of it becoming mmorpg by the fact alone.

Now I'm just waiting for LGR to release to review just to hear him crack a joke or two.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Instructor
#10343 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 6:15 PM
LGR's just noticed it so expect one, probably after the 20th Nov. Patch

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews...297075562901504

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews...367220381540353

Is about as far as he's got so far...........
Theorist
#10344 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
And it's probably continue to grow, as more and more are stopping taking shits from Maxis/EA tactics of catering shareholders. TS5 will certaintly stop catering even more type of players because of it becoming mmorpg by the fact alone.

Maybe, but it annoys when people go out of their way to twist Android Wilson's nonsense out of context. There is no shortage of those people around. The butt kissing that happens on those conference calls has nothing to do with the consumer or in this case, TS4.  Taking things out of context is disingenuous and the clickbait that follows never has any follow up because it is just that, clickbait.

I should be used of this bullshit by now, but nope.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10345 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 8:07 PM
I'm halfway into the video and I have to say I don't really understand the way she plays The Sims. She says that she only makes her sims do what THEY want to do, meaning she doesn't create any kind of story herself or really make her sims do anything (or get a promotion or complete aspirations etc). She follows the whims and things her sims want to do.

The problem with that is that by themselves the sims are quite... shallow. The whims are shit most of the time. As she's said herself, some packs haven't even added new whims, and in my games I'm still getting the same obsessions such as getting a pool or getting a honey box. The only other whims I get are when I force myself to do things (painting for example makes the sim want to level up or paint more, but I'm the one who has to force the sim to do those things in the first place). You also have loner sims who absolutely want to meet new sims lol.

So, if you're ONLY letting your sims control their lives, honestly they're not gonna accomplish or do anything. And that's really sad, because the whole TS4 thing was about more personality and shit but the truth is they honestly don't have any. And EA has pretty much given up on that stuff, I mean whims have become optional lol (you can turn them off completely). From the get go, I felt like the whims part of the UI was always way too tiny + you only get 2 normal whims at a time, and you don't get enough points for accomplishing them.

I think at one point when you understand that you have to change the way you play the game or you're just gonna end up miserable and bored.

She goes on and says that she's sad and disappointed because the pack didn't add anything to do or something like that. Well, yes, it does add stuff, but you have to tell your sims to do them. If you just stand there and wait for new whims, well, you're gonna be hella disappointed (which, as I've said, is sad and NOT normal).

EDIT :
I've watched the rest of the video and she does try to have her sims do a couple things (rockclimbing, skiing) and she starts feeling even worse. She broke my heart at the end. It's true that everything you do in game is shallow and doesn't have any consequences. Even the moodlets are shit and are only making your sims a bit uncomfortable or something for a couple hours. Earlier today I saw that if your sim wins the lottery they're happy for 8 HOURS. I think I feel the same she does but I'm still in the lalalaland for now, I don't want to accept it yet.

Her play style isn't invalid. Sims are intended to be people. Based on the personalities we assign to Sims, it should be natural for them to want certain things and Sims should, on occasion, want things that go against their better judgement. This was a very valid play style in TS2 and TS3 - especially in TS3 with mood swings and midlife crises. Sure, normally, a Sim may want to get a new skill, make a new friend, or get a promotion, but now your Sims is feeling unfulfilled and they'll have a severe urge to get a divorce or buy something insanely expensive and they'll feel terrible if you don't do them, but all wants, wishes, and whims are optional and the player can choose which to perform. All, many, some, or none.

It's no different than doing a no-kills run in Deus Ex or playing with low intelligence in Fallout.

Instructor
#10346 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 8:19 PM
AH ! He couldn't leave us forever

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews...297561737244674

Theorist
#10347 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Her play style isn't invalid. Sims are intended to be people. Based on the personalities we assign to Sims, it should be natural for them to want certain things and Sims should, on occasion, want things that go against their better judgement. This was a very valid play style in TS2 and TS3 - especially in TS3 with mood swings and midlife crises. Sure, normally, a Sim may want to get a new skill, make a new friend, or get a promotion, but now your Sims is feeling unfulfilled and they'll have a severe urge to get a divorce or buy something insanely expensive and they'll feel terrible if you don't do them, but all wants, wishes, and whims are optional and the player can choose which to perform. All, many, some, or none.

It's no different than doing a no-kills run in Deus Ex or playing with low intelligence in Fallout.

This ^^

The reason she's annoyed is because TS4 sims are robots that are all the same.  I don't watch all of her videos, but she does put in a ton of time in via spreadsheets and other things to make sure that all of her sims have 'lives' that are different from each other. If one of her teen sims doesn't roll to go to college, she doesn't send them. If she has a household of sims that are slobs, she doesn't make them clean.  She lets them live with their filth, at least until the filth gets in the way and causes routing problems.

I don't keep spreadsheets and such, but I play in a similar fashion.  The stupid things like adult sims always wanting to play hopscotch have been modded out, because really.  However, if I have a sim in a career and they decide they want to do something else, I'll go with it.  I don't give them everything they want.  A broke sim that doesn't have enough cash to buy a toilet isn't going to be allowed to go on a shopping bender or on a trip. After they've gotten their shizz together and can afford to go on a trip or buy a thing that they couldn't afford at some point, I'll let them do that.
Theorist
#10348 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 10:13 PM
I'm not saying playing this way is invalid but to me it doesn't make much sense in TS4 because of the reasons I have listed. That's probably why she's sad too... In TS2 and TS3 playing this style makes way more sense.

She is having to figure out that playing like she does with TS2 and TS3 doesn't work; this is why she's sad. As much time and energy she puts into trying to make her play style work TS4, it isn't going to. It isn't from the lack of trying, it is the game which she talked about. 

Whether her efforts of trying to make it work make sense or not, doesn't matter.  She wanted to turn over all the proverbial rocks to see if something would work. If she continues to try to find a way to make it work, that's on her.  IMO, it would be a waste of time at this point, but some people feel they have to try something from every possible angle before they are willing to say "I've done all I can do."
Field Researcher
#10349 Old 18th Nov 2020 at 12:52 AM
I agree with Cindy’s video. I play very similar in sims 2&3. I love wishes and wants, I don’t follow them all 100% but sometimes it inspires me to do things I wouldn’t. It makes my sims feel alive as their wants and wishes make sense. Sims 4 whims rotate between Buy a bee box, do laundry (children get this too), buy a dish washer, get a 1x1 pool, search vampires on the pc, buy a stereo, dance to music. Etc etc
They are generic and bland. I love that sims in earlier games wanted their offspring to do well in school- some more than others. It just made them feel unique.

I do agree that whims based game play is pointless in sims 4. Whims were abandoned long ago but that doesn’t mean it’s okay and I can see why Cindy misses it as I miss it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10350 Old 18th Nov 2020 at 2:16 AM
She's not asking for the moon and stars. Whims is something that's shipped with the base game. Wanting her to have Sims who roll wants to do things added to the game is fine.

Adding to that, I don't even think Sentiments and lifestyles are trait based. Are they?

Locked thread
Page 414 of 447