Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Dec 2022 at 12:42 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default attempted to read or write crash
I hate to start another thread since I just made one a week or two ago and this is a fairly common topic, but I am once again having issues with CAW. I am getting that "attempting to read or write protected memory" crash. I was able to set up SuperCaw, so I was using that in the 1.69 version. I have made it LAA, applied the 4gb patch, removed the UNKN and WPID resources and added the 2 UNKN resources, put a 'test' folder and renamed it, and made sure that I am using the right patch for my game, 1.69. I have narrowed it down to what may be the problem:

1. I changed the terrain paint and road textures of Midnight Hollow in S3PE by using the guide here, https://modthesims.info/t/469942 and while it did work, I began to have issues opening and saving the edited world after one time. I was able to save it after changing some of the road intersections in CAW, and that was all I edited. After that, I can't open the world, as I get the crash. Either that or I get an unsuccessful save error.
2. I installed 3 stuff packs for free and am thinking it is not the correct patch as the rest of my expansion packs.

My computer specs:
Device name LAPTOP-L702J6KG
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600H with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (5.86 GB usable)
Device ID EBD47D1F-86E8-4EAA-8302-E5E904D8631C
Product ID 00325-82186-18104-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th Dec 2022 at 12:19 PM
I'm not an expert at CAW stuff, but I noticed you only had 5.86 GB free RAM. What OS are you running on?

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Field Researcher
#3 Old 7th Dec 2022 at 3:53 PM Last edited by thesims1depot : 7th Dec 2022 at 5:57 PM.
If you can open and edit other words in CAW without any problems, I think that something has gone wrong with that world. (A test you can do is to open up either the default worlds that come with CAW or another one of your WIPs to see what happens).

If you can open up another world with no issue, the next thing you can try is to open up one of the backup folders in CAW of Midnight Hollow to see if that opens. But mind you, you'll lose some of your work if you decide to go back to one of your earlier backups.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Dec 2022 at 10:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
I'm not an expert at CAW stuff, but I noticed you only had 5.86 GB free RAM. What OS are you running on?

I'm assuming you mean windows 7 or 10, I'm on 10 at the moment. Am I supposed to have more RAM?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Dec 2022 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thesims1depot
If you can open and edit other words in CAW without any problems, I think that something has gone wrong with that world. (A test you can do is to open up either the default worlds that come with CAW or another one of your WIPs to see what happens).

If you can open up another world with no issue, the next thing you can try is to open up one of the backup folders in CAW of Midnight Hollow to see if that opens. But mind you, you'll lose some of your work if you decide to go back to one of your earlier backups.)

So I tried to open several of my saved versions and they all don't open. Aside from the two I saved that give me the attempted to read or write crash, I also get the unable to load file with all my previous versions of my edited midnight hollow world, except Sunset Valley and Riverview. I think I'm just gonna have to start over again and see if it gives me the same issue.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 8th Dec 2022 at 12:20 AM Last edited by thesims1depot : 8th Dec 2022 at 11:55 AM.
Wait...before you do anything, uninstall and reinstall CAW (make sure to save your userdata/worlds folder first). I have noticed that after a time, CAW gets really cranky and I always have to go through a routine of doing an uninstall/fresh reinstallation.

ETA: Just realized. Are you solely using Super CAW instead of CAW? In my experience, it's best to use it sparingly. It should only be used to change world type and add special effects and objects that you can't get in CAW.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by elvgreen
I'm assuming you mean windows 7 or 10, I'm on 10 at the moment. Am I supposed to have more RAM?

Not related to your problem but no the reason you have only 6GB is cause you have an intrigrated card so 2GB are used for VRAM.. that's not related to the OS... just wanted to say that
Instructor
#8 Old 9th Dec 2022 at 6:48 PM

I'm not really a computer whiz but the reason you got memory error/crash was because you didn't have enough free RAM left when you loaded SuperCAW. The minimum requirement of Windows 10 alone is 8GB RAM, so more RAM is better for your system.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Field Researcher
#9 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
I'm not really a computer whiz but the reason you got memory error/crash was because you didn't have enough free RAM left when you loaded SuperCAW. The minimum requirement of Windows 10 alone is 8GB RAM, so more RAM is better for your system.

It is not 8GB. It's 2GB. From the official Windows 10 site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...7c-795cf0386715
Field Researcher
#10 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 1:30 AM
OP, just remembered: where are you downloading CAW from?

The reason I asked is that people for the past 2-3 years have been downloading CAW from the Internet Archive and other places. These versions are corrupt, from what I understand, and can cause this error you are experiencing.

So, if you're not downloading it off the official site, you should. These are the direct links from EA:

1.67: http://lvlt.thesims3.com/content/gl...w/worldtool.exe
1.69: http://lvlt.thesims3.com/content/gl.../caw/ts3caw.exe
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 6:45 PM
OP, just remembered: where are you downloading CAW from?

The reason I asked is that people for the past 2-3 years have been downloading CAW from the Internet Archive and other places. These versions are corrupt, from what I understand, and can cause this error you are experiencing.

So, if you're not downloading it off the official site, you should. These are the direct links from EA:

1.67: http://lvlt.thesims3.com/content/gl...w/worldtool.exe
1.69: http://lvlt.thesims3.com/content/gl.../caw/ts3caw.exe

The reason why I downloaded SuperCaw is because I can't download from the official website. The download button doesn't work for me
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I don't use CAW so I can't really tell you what's happening. But I just thought I put this to rest that 5.86 out 8GB system is perfectly normal. Whenever they say a program requires Win 10, 8GB RAM, it doesn't mean the program needs 8GB of RAM, just it requires a system that has 8GB since it already factor in the OS and other possible background processes.

Integrated GPU also doesn't mean it reserved 2GB, as not all programs require 2GB of VRAM. The VRAM is taken from the RAM, they're shareable. Win 10 also does RAM compression, so it actually frees up quite a lot of RAM and then there is the usage of virtual RAM swap file with the compression.

Now the error does look like a RAM error, but I highly doubt it is the capacity of RAM, more about other program issues. Of course, I could be wrong since I don't use CAW, I'm using TS3 as the basis of this analysis.

So you think I'm ok? I know I set my TS3 game up so it uses more than 2gb.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 6:58 PM
Wait...before you do anything, uninstall and reinstall CAW (make sure to save your userdata/worlds folder first). I have noticed that after a time, CAW gets really cranky and I always have to go through a routine of doing an uninstall/fresh reinstallation.

ETA: Just realized. Are you solely using Super CAW instead of CAW? In my experience, it's best to use it sparingly. It should only be used to change world type and add special effects and objects that you can't get in CAW.

Oh ok, so I should just try a regular version then?
Field Researcher
#15 Old 10th Dec 2022 at 7:20 PM
Oh ok, so I should just try a regular version then?

Yes. Don't use Super CAW for anything except to get special effects and objects that you can't get in CAW. And when you download, download from the links I posted above, because those are the official downloads from EA. The ones that other sites are hosting seem to be corrupt.