Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 5:05 AM
Default I would like to start modding, but I feel like I need a little more guidance...
Hi everyone! I would like to be able to create mods in the future, but I would like to start by creating a mod for my personal use first. I have read a few tutorials on XML tuning, using XML, and writing script mods with Python, but with the many sources available on the internet including outdates ones, its just confusing me even more and I've been feeling like I'm being stretched too thin. I have so many questions, and many of them I'm ashamed to ask because it might be very basic questions but its really hard for me to get started. Just a little background, I have previously learned python before but I have never practiced using it outside of academic so I'm not the best, but I am familiar.

1. What is the difference between creating mods with XML and python? Is it a one or the other situation or does it complement each other?
2. If I would like to create an adoption mod where played sims (Sim A) can put their child up for adoption, and when another played sim (Sim B) accesses the adoption choice, Sim A's child will show up in the adoption list pop-up, do I use XML or python?

I may have a few more follow up questions so might regularly update this thread. If its possible, I would prefer a one-on-one guide to help me navigate the modding world, but if not its okay, replying to this thread will still give me tremendous amount of help! Please help
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 5:38 AM
1. Complement. Depending the mod you can't create it solely with just one and this is usually because of SimDatas, which Python can't touch. You will almost always require both in some shape or form.
2. I'm not sure, but I'm going to say a mix of both as I don't think there is anything directly in the XML to tell it to do that (by that I mean have Sim A's kid show up). I think kids are deleted when given up for adoption? I'm not familiar with adoption or it's files so I could be entirely wrong, but this is just my assumption since I don't think anyone has done it before (maybe MCCC?) and this could explain why.

I'm not sure what you want to make (I'm assuming an adoption overhaul by your question) but if it's a large mod, or maybe not large but difficult, I highly recommend starting with smaller and simpler mods first just to get a feel for the files. Find something you want changed, something as simple as adding a loot to an interaction that feels incomplete and go from there.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 6:51 PM
Hi Tiramisupie, I'm at the same point. I'm gonna start to mod simple things like CC or sims reactions. I just want to knox, how it works. After, I will try something more difficult.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
1. Complement. Depending the mod you can't create it solely with just one and this is usually because of SimDatas, which Python can't touch. You will almost always require both in some shape or form.
2. I'm not sure, but I'm going to say a mix of both as I don't think there is anything directly in the XML to tell it to do that (by that I mean have Sim A's kid show up). I think kids are deleted when given up for adoption? I'm not familiar with adoption or it's files so I could be entirely wrong, but this is just my assumption since I don't think anyone has done it before (maybe MCCC?) and this could explain why.

I'm not sure what you want to make (I'm assuming an adoption overhaul by your question) but if it's a large mod, or maybe not large but difficult, I highly recommend starting with smaller and simpler mods first just to get a feel for the files. Find something you want changed, something as simple as adding a loot to an interaction that feels incomplete and go from there.

Hi, thanks for replying! Yeah, I think the mod I'm thinking of is quite complicated and large for me to start with, so I think I will have to try making small fixes and build my way up from there. I think I'll start with XML as I've seen a tutorial for that. But I'd like to ask, I still don't understand the difference between modding with XML and Python. In this context, how is XML different from Python? Are they doing or controlling different things?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nahkag
Hi Tiramisupie, I'm at the same point. I'm gonna start to mod simple things like CC or sims reactions. I just want to knox, how it works. After, I will try something more difficult.

Cool! Do you mind filling me in on your learning process so far? What are you starting with?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 6:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tiramisupie
Hi, thanks for replying! Yeah, I think the mod I'm thinking of is quite complicated and large for me to start with, so I think I will have to try making small fixes and build my way up from there. I think I'll start with XML as I've seen a tutorial for that. But I'd like to ask, I still don't understand the difference between modding with XML and Python. In this context, how is XML different from Python? Are they doing or controlling different things?

It's a bit hard to explain, but Python is one of the systems in Sims 4 that directs and controls everything (like a computer), XML is what the Python reads so the game knows what to run (a program or game on your computer), SimData is what the UI client reads (graphics of a program/game or your monitor). You can create mods 99% of the way in either XML or Python, but your average modder will have far more success and understand XML better than trying to do it in Python, and doing it entirely in Python isn't necessary and is a preference for a few because they hate tuning. The main point for Python/scripting is to inject your XML/tuning files into the system, which is basically telling the game "hey, take this data and display it with the rest". Without injecting into the established system your mod normally won't show up. There are some areas where this of course doesn't occur, like traits that just automatically show up in CAS without any scripting at all. This isn't common though. And thanks to tools, Python can normally be ignored for basic mods, so most creators can avoid Python for quite a while. You only need to script if a tool for it doesn't exist, or you prefer having control or learning.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Test Subject
#7 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 7:45 AM
Thank you MizoreYukii! That makes sense.