Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 5th Feb 2019 at 7:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by almasy87
Hi!
Sorry for maybe a stupid question.
I tried to follow this, however I am a bit lost on how exactly the branches work.

Correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression that you could make something like.. 7 levels in the main branch, and then add different career paths/branches with other 3 levels each for the sims to further continue their climbing of the ladder.

Not sure where I went wrong but, I tested my career in game and in the first level it said "next promotion X and Y" which were the branches I was planning them to be able to go into after lvl 7. The sims got promoted but the tooltip had no text. It said "promoted to ", and now as next promotion it gives me what actually should be my level 2...

So basically there's an extra level in between lvl 1 and 2 which is not reflected in the stuff I see in the tool. I don't see that level anywhere, and it looks like it's linked to the branches?

I cheated my way up to lvl 7 and after that I can pick a branch normally and continue which is great. But that "ghost branch" career lvl between 1 and 2 haunts me, lol.

What can I check to remove it?

Thanks!

There are no stupid questions! Trust me, sometimes it only takes a second set of eyes to see something we may have missed.

Did you change any of the levels by removing them during the creation of your career in the tool? That can sometimes cause issues.

Another possible cause could be if you've used characters other than letters and standard punctuation in your level title or description.

And to be sure, check that you've got the ts4script file installed that you created using the .py file that was exported with your career. I've seen problems like this when people don't have it, or haven't created it correctly, even though it's only supposed to be for the Paid Time Off function.

Finally, my standard recommendation, if all else fails, and you get no better response at the forum, is to recreate the career from scratch. A pain, yes, but you can use copy and paste to fill in the levels and descriptions fields
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 6th Feb 2019 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmiller
My thoughts are there's a possible conflict with another mod somehow, or maybe adding child as a potential job user is the culprit, and may conflict with a possible required skill you've included that children and/or teens can't develop and require cheating through the levels. Another thing is to double check the format you've used to add child and teen to your XML. Careers automatically come out of the tool being available for young adult/adult/elders, so you have to be careful when adding other ages, making sure all age references are altered, wherever they exist in any of your XML.

I would recommend recreating the career from scratch (you should be able to copy and paste into the fields), and testing it before you add child/teen to the mix. Keep an unaltered version saved to go back to as you try to make it available for the other ages.

Also, be sure not to use characters other than letters in your job level descriptions and titles, if you have, as that can cause problems.

Tbh, there's so many things that can go wrong, it's hard to pinpoint without seeing it, and my abilities with XML are limited. You're definitely best off posting in the forum, though. There are a lot of more knowledgeable people over there

Thank you so much for your reply, I started again and have cleared the on problem but gained another

My adult male can have a normal job and use the swimming class i made as a weekend activity or afterschool
My young adult female can only have one or the other it makes her quit
teen girl can have school scouts and swimming
teen boy can have school scout and swimming
child can have school dance scouts and swimming

ive aged up my female young adult but that dont' help im so confussed ?? anyone have any ideas i would be so greatful
thank you
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nickyclem1
Thank you so much for your reply, I started again and have cleared the on problem but gained another

My adult male can have a normal job and use the swimming class i made as a weekend activity or afterschool
My young adult female can only have one or the other it makes her quit
teen girl can have school scouts and swimming
teen boy can have school scout and swimming
child can have school dance scouts and swimming

ive aged up my female young adult but that dont' help im so confussed ?? anyone have any ideas i would be so greatful
thank you

Did you create a mod for swimming classes? I'm asking because I'm concerned that there may be a conflict. Does this problem occur with any other careers, either from the game or custom? Unfortunately, though, I won't be able to help on this issue because it will be technical, either way. I recommend you bring this up with Neia on the Create-a-Career forum thread.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 7th Feb 2019 at 10:12 PM
Did you create a mod for swimming classes? I'm asking because I'm concerned that there may be a conflict. Does this problem occur with any other careers, either from the game or custom? Unfortunately, though, I won't be able to help on this issue because it will be technical, either way. I recommend you bring this up with Neia on the Create-a-Career forum thread.

Hi again and thank you for reply,
Yes I made Swimming Class Ive not tested all careers just the ones that my sims already had, I will do that tho and see what happens
thank you
Test Subject
#55 Old 18th Feb 2019 at 3:28 AM
Can anyone confirm if the level descriptions actually show up anywhere in game? I'm making a career with 12-14 branches, each will have 4-6 levels. So I don't want to spend months writing level descriptions if they don't show up in-game.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#56 Old 19th Feb 2019 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by andlarryofficial
Can anyone confirm if the level descriptions actually show up anywhere in game? I'm making a career with 12-14 branches, each will have 4-6 levels. So I don't want to spend months writing level descriptions if they don't show up in-game.

They sure do!
Test Subject
#57 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 1:12 AM
Just wanted to that this thread helped so much! I was able to make a 3 tier Hero career for my My Hero Academia mods I'm making. If I can figure out how to make chance cards I'd be thrilled, so if anyone has a link or any info that'd be appreciated. Only problem is that if you quit or get fired, you don't have the option to choose a different Hero path if you want to apply again, not sure I can fix that though.
Screenshots
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 28th Feb 2019 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakine
Just wanted to that this thread helped so much! I was able to make a 3 tier Hero career for my My Hero Academia mods I'm making. If I can figure out how to make chance cards I'd be thrilled, so if anyone has a link or any info that'd be appreciated. Only problem is that if you quit or get fired, you don't have the option to choose a different Hero path if you want to apply again, not sure I can fix that though.

That's awesome! I'm happy to have helped

Chance cards have been made by a couple of people out there on the web, but none have as yet been uploaded to MTS. If you go into Sims4Studio's extraction tool, you can find the chance cards that are provided by the game. Modifying them to fit your career is complicated, but we know it can be done. We don't have any tutorials on here, and I don't know of any offsite either, sorry! I've looked at trying my hand at them, too, because it would be awesome, but I'm put off by the time involved in getting it done right, without knowing exactly what I'm doing You can certainly give it shot, though!

Careers are like that. Once you pick a track, it doesn't seem to want to let you back into the beginning after quitting or getting fired. I'm not sure if that's a game flaw or what. Possibly something to ask Neia on the Create-a-Career forum, or perhaps see if it happens on a Maxis career as well.

Keep on simming!
Test Subject
#59 Old 3rd Mar 2019 at 3:59 AM
That's awesome! I'm happy to have helped

Chance cards have been made by a couple of people out there on the web, but none have as yet been uploaded to MTS. If you go into Sims4Studio's extraction tool, you can find the chance cards that are provided by the game. Modifying them to fit your career is complicated, but we know it can be done. We don't have any tutorials on here, and I don't know of any offsite either, sorry! I've looked at trying my hand at them, too, because it would be awesome, but I'm put off by the time involved in getting it done right, without knowing exactly what I'm doing You can certainly give it shot, though!

Careers are like that. Once you pick a track, it doesn't seem to want to let you back into the beginning after quitting or getting fired. I'm not sure if that's a game flaw or what. Possibly something to ask Neia on the Create-a-Career forum, or perhaps see if it happens on a Maxis career as well.

Keep on simming!

Thanks! Yea I've seen some things here and there about cards, but nothing specific. I'll probably just continue with costume mods. Now I need to see if i can make customizable work uniforms!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#60 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 6:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sakine
Thanks! Yea I've seen some things here and there about cards, but nothing specific. I'll probably just continue with costume mods. Now I need to see if i can make customizable work uniforms!

I bet your Hero career would be interesting to other players. You could give uploading it on MTS a shot, following the Creator Guidelines for Careers, of course
Test Subject
#61 Old 10th Mar 2019 at 4:14 PM
Default Thanks!
Quote: Originally posted by simfan432
Is it possible use this tool to fix/update careers made by creators who are no longer active?

Wow, thanks for this tutorial..I'm actually feeling confident enough to try my hand at this
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 19th Mar 2019 at 2:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Laverhonda
Wow, thanks for this tutorial..I'm actually feeling confident enough to try my hand at this

Awesome! Let us know how it turns out
Test Subject
#63 Old 11th Apr 2019 at 12:24 AM
literally wont work, my file that i extracted that is suppose to have a .py at the end does not have .py. when placed in python33 and i do the cmd it says syntax error
Test Subject
#64 Old 11th Apr 2019 at 12:37 AM
okay figured it out. you have it written don to place in python file, but it goes in the python-lib folder. anyways. now if i make multiply careers do i need to place mulltiple nieie career common packages if they give them to me in the export?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#65 Old 11th Apr 2019 at 2:19 AM Last edited by Simmiller : 11th Apr 2019 at 2:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Kitsunechan'w'
okay figured it out. you have it written don to place in python file, but it goes in the python-lib folder. anyways. now if i make multiply careers do i need to place mulltiple nieie career common packages if they give them to me in the export?

Judging by your issues, it looks like I need to take another look at the progression of the Create-a-Career tool, and the Python sequence, because I've not heard of the necessity of accessing the python-lib folder. As for the .py file, that is extracted in step 11, directly from the file you get when you export your career. At least it was, and I'm going to go look on the tool site to see if it's changed

You only ever need one Careers_Common.package in your Mods folder, so make sure you have the latest one relative to your Game Version. Each time you export a career from the tool, you'll usually get that file because it can't distinguish if you already have it from a previously exported career.

If you're planning on uploading a career, there are 3 scenarios:

1-No Careers_Commons.package file required as the career only uses the Base game skills.
2-Yes Careers_Commons.package file required and you can include it in the .zip that you upload.
3-Yes Careers_Commons.package file required and you don't have to include it but link to the latest one on Neia's tool site

now I'm off to see about any new updates...thank you for your questions!

Edit: the placement of the python files is still the same, with the exception of the Python version you use, which is now 3.7. I'm not sure what happened with your exported files that the .py wasn't in there, but it should be
Test Subject
#66 Old 13th Apr 2019 at 5:40 PM
yeah, hey so python 37 wont install into my pthon37 folder i made. i tried auto install and custom and nothing. didnt work. what do i do. can i still use the old python if i reinstall it

https://discord.gg/THARpZp my new discord for my career mods.
Test Subject
#67 Old 13th Apr 2019 at 5:44 PM
nvm lol i guess 3rd times the charm ehh. finally worked. dont know what i did differently though

Test Subject
#68 Old 13th Apr 2019 at 7:05 PM
im having a real issue. everything in game works. i did a career with 4 branches. the first thing that pops up when you first get the career, the title is blank?! but its showing 15$ and hour and objectivs. ive triple checked everything and its stll blank. and there is no reason it should be. but when promoted its not blank and everything works fine.

retired moderator
Original Poster
#69 Old 14th Apr 2019 at 4:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kitsunechan'w'
im having a real issue. everything in game works. i did a career with 4 branches. the first thing that pops up when you first get the career, the title is blank?! but its showing 15$ and hour and objectivs. ive triple checked everything and its stll blank. and there is no reason it should be. but when promoted its not blank and everything works fine.

Hello!

I responded to your modding discussion post before I saw this

Here's what I wrote:

Without looking at the files, it's hard to determine what could be wrong, but you may be able to sort it out using Sims4Studio.

If you open your .package in S4S, click on the STBL (String Table) for English (or whatever language you're comfortable with), then Edit items over on the right, your in game career text comes up and if there are any blank spots, these could be your problem. I recommend asking on Neia's forum, however, if you haven't already, just in case someone there can give you more technical help. I have noted that some people with similar problems also may have some characters in their career text that the game doesn't like. For example, numbers, special characters like &%$#, etc, can cause problems, so double check that you don't have any of those in there.

Hope this helps!

Simmiller
Test Subject
#70 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 1:47 AM
anyone know whats going on with the career creator tool. is it getting updated?

Test Subject
#71 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 12:35 PM
hi guys sorry if this has been answered but i cant seem to find an answer anywhere i have installed two mod careers but there is no description while i go to choose career am i doing something wrong or has the update messed things up?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 17th Apr 2019 at 4:10 PM
Yes, it's most likely the update causing issues. Neia's really good about updating the tool, so once that happens, creators will have to update their careers again and then they should work. Thanks for your patience everyone!
Test Subject
#73 Old 18th Apr 2019 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by deeg
hi guys sorry if this has been answered but i cant seem to find an answer anywhere i have installed two mod careers but there is no description while i go to choose career am i doing something wrong or has the update messed things up?

The latest patch broke custom text, but there's a workaround that can be used until the next patch.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#74 Old 19th Apr 2019 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dero
The latest patch broke custom text, but there's a workaround that can be used until the next patch.

Thank you so much for posting the workaround. I have added it to the tutorial and my careers with a credit to you for bringing it to my attention :lovestruc
Test Subject
#75 Old 15th May 2019 at 1:35 PM
Can I use this tool to creat actives careers like Doctor, detective, scientist or actor?
Page 3 of 7