Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2020 at 9:54 AM
How to alter the animation for the bed?
So I've made a bed but it is more of a circle shape so it needs a new animations to go with it.

Currently when I place the Bed in game, it's fine until the sim goes to use it and then the bed completely disappears while the sim does the animation, and then never re-appears once the sim is out of bed.
I can only presume it's coz the animation doesnt fit that bed. And suspected that would be the case since I started making the item.
I cant for the life of me figure out HOW to just to export the animation rig for the original bed clone and edit the animations a bit and import the new animations into the new bed. They are gonna be the same commands of 'Sleep' "relax' etc...I just need the sims to get into the bed slightly different coz the bed is shaped different.
And there seems to be a lack of tutorials for object animations particularly in general. So this is starting to frustrate me. Coz I feel like I'm so close to being done.
I have the programs Blender 2.8 and then Milkshape and the the TSR Workshop, s3pe. And then Visual Studio 2019 for potentially making new animations.
Do I need a certain program or Plugin to load the rig files? IDK!!
I just need a slightly altered animation. I've made animations before for pose player, but I've never done object animations.
Can anybody please help me???
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 11th May 2020 at 12:44 PM
Idk about changing the animation, but usually the reason things go invisible in game when interacted with is that you didn't assign the correct (or any?) bones. Beds especially are a nightmare to do, they have many, many different bones in finicky places. Open your reference ea mesh in Milkshape and look carefully how they're assigned, then try to do yours as closely as possible.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#3 Old 12th May 2020 at 7:50 PM
Hiya!

There are ways around this!  It's a bit quick and dirty but it does the trick! Meshtoolkit will help you out. Despite this tool being meant for CASparts, we can make it think that the objects are actual proper clothings, in order to apply the bones.

Let's get to it!  I once mad a tutorial on this before, but that one was a bit hard to understand.

1. Start a new project in TSRW
2. In your case, clone any EA bed.
3. Export the mesh as a WSO file. Judging from your knowledge I think you know where that button is
4. Now, open your own TSRW project. 
5. Export the mesh of that as well.
6. Go into Milkshape 3D and import YOUR mesh (so NOT EA's bed that we just extracted)
7. Delete the shadow group.
8. Rename the remaining group 'group_base'.
9. Export that and save this as something like "MYMESHBONES.wso"
10. Repeat step 6 to 9, but now with the EA bed. 
11. Open meshtoolkit and go to the "Auto tools for WSO" tab.
12. In the WSO to modify bit, you put YOUR bed mesh.
13. In the 'reference mesh' is where you put in EA's Bed. 
14. Click 'Do Assignments and save', and either replace the saved one over your own bed wso file, or give it a different name and save it that way
15. Go into your own project in TSRW and import that wso file that you just saved!
16. Test in game!

Hopefully this helps you out! If you need me to make things a bit more clearer, lemme know! And of course, if it worked out for you. 
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th May 2020 at 8:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
Hiya!

There are ways around this!  It's a bit quick and dirty but it does the trick! Meshtoolkit will help you out. Despite this tool being meant for CASparts, we can make it think that the objects are actual proper clothings, in order to apply the bones.

Let's get to it!  I once mad a tutorial on this before, but that one was a bit hard to understand.

3. Export the mesh as a WSO file. Judging from your knowledge I think you know where that button is
6. Go into Milkshape 3D and import YOUR mesh (so NOT EA's bed that we just extracted)
14. Click 'Do Assignments and save', and either replace the saved one over your own bed wso file, or give it a different name and save it that way
15. Go into your own project in TSRW and import that wso file that you just saved!
16. Test in game!

Hopefully this helps you out! If you need me to make things a bit more clearer, lemme know! And of course, if it worked out for you. 

Hmm I'll give that a shot! Hopefully that will work, otherwise I may need to find the bones to the original bed and blend it into my current bed. Coz yeah, I probably removed the bones not realizing they were bones. I still have a lot of the original bed stuff in the bed, but maybe somehow I deleted the bones. Milkshape was adding these additional parts to the bed that I couldnt see, so I deleted them coz I could only have 6 parts to the bed. and those invisible seemingly non existent things were making it double. So I deleted them so Tsr would actually open it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th May 2020 at 8:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by enable_llamas
Idk about changing the animation, but usually the reason things go invisible in game when interacted with is that you didn't assign the correct (or any?) bones. Beds especially are a nightmare to do, they have many, many different bones in finicky places. Open your reference ea mesh in Milkshape and look carefully how they're assigned, then try to do yours as closely as possible.

Is there a particular way to tell where the bones are? Can you tell in Blender? Or is it only possible in Milkshape?
I did go straight to blender and then after, used milkshape for the last process.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#6 Old 18th May 2020 at 8:44 AM
You should be able to see that in Milkshape by going to Joints > Tick the "Draw vertices with bone colours". You can also edit those, but if you're like me, you rather do that in Blender :p 

If you really want to do that, then you could do the following:

1. Get Blender 2.70 (or lower) and install this plugin: http://modthesims.info/d/433882/ble...ted-5-2-14.html

2. IF you've not exported it as a package yet, then make sure in TSRW you 'package it up' by going to Edit > Project Contents. In the new window, click "export".

3. Open up Blender, go to the icon with the blocks on the right (Also known als Scene)
4. Scroll allllll the way down, then click "import MLOD/MODL". And voila, you got that one
5. Now, if you click on the object and then go to the vertex editing thingy, then you SHOULD be able to see them there.
6. After editing that till you're done, instead of exporting the MLOD/MODL, we want to go to File > Export > Milkshape3D.
7. open up Milkshape 3D and import the file you just exported from blender into milkshape
8. Save it as a TSRW Mesh

Hope this helps!
Test Subject
#7 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 5:33 AM
Hiya!

16. Test in game!

i did this as im struggling functional stuff too and it says this "you have not selected a valid mesh with abase meshgroup"....what does this mean? cant we not use it to convert sims 4 - to 3
Test Subject
#8 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 5:30 PM
You should be able to see that in Milkshape by going to Joints > Tick the "Draw vertices with bone colours". You can also edit those, but if you're like me, you rather do that in Blender :p 

If you really want to do that, then you could do the following:

1. Get Blender 2.70 (or lower) and install this plugin: http://modthesims.info/d/433882/ble...ted-5-2-14.html

2. IF you've not exported it as a package yet, then make sure in TSRW you 'package it up' by going to Edit > Project Contents. In the new window, click "export".

3. Open up Blender, go to the icon with the blocks on the right (Also known als Scene)
4. Scroll allllll the way down, then click "import MLOD/MODL". And voila, you got that one
5. Now, if you click on the object and then go to the vertex editing thingy, then you SHOULD be able to see them there.
6. After editing that till you're done, instead of exporting the MLOD/MODL, we want to go to File > Export > Milkshape3D.
7. open up Milkshape 3D and import the file you just exported from blender into milkshape
8. Save it as a TSRW Mesh

Hope this helps!

I am new to this how do you fix joints etc in blender? is it easier then milkshape. I want to convert some dressers but my issue is they move the whole drsser i just want the drawer. How do I do that? Also beds etc