Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 2:54 AM Last edited by Snowder : 21st Mar 2022 at 8:28 PM. Reason: New version + Testing
Default Watcher's Hand (Script Mod)
Howdy everyone! I am a big fan of TSM, pretty much like many of you all. I've been following this community for quite a while, it's a pleasure for me to join it... with a contribution!

This game is really fun and quite refreshing compared to other Sim games, but as many of you knows, the game can become buggy at some points, and make some saves games even unplayable...
It happened to me more than once that, for some reasons, many quest-related Sims stopped to show up, or worse, losing completely the royal advisor and other sims, without any possibility to bring them back to the kingdom (as inviting them throught the Messenger Post doesn't do anything except showing the message "I am too busy at the moment" over and over again), making quests completion impossible except with cheating...

Plus, for some reasons, the game never allowed to save into the CAS Bin any Sim that you might encounter while playing. Unfortunately, editing them in CAS still doesn't allow to save the Sim to the CAS Bin, which bringed a lot of frustration on my end. There is always the option to save a Sim as a carryover with Grim's Medieval Core mod (which is a great mod, btw!), but this solution was never satisfying to me.

As I never found what I needed to fix the issues I had with my save games, I decided to try making a mod myself, which led to what I am about to present:

Description
Watcher's Hand, as the name imply, has a bunch of functions that allows you to have more control over your save game. It goes from forcefully summoning a Sim off world, saving any Sim of your choice to the CAS Bin to ressurecting a dead Sim.
This mod was made with the idea of being simple to use, and will prevent you as much as possible any game-breaking actions.

Interactions
You can find the mod's interaction on Sims and Messenger Posts.

Messenger Post's interactions:
  • Summon Sim to the Kingdom: Allows you to summon an off-world Sim IMMEDIATELY and right next to you. You can filter the Sim you want to summon, the game will ask you the name/title of the Sim you wish to Summon, and will show you a list of Sim that matchs this criteria (or will show a notification if no Sim matchs your criteria)
  • Ressurect and Summon Sim to the Kingdom: Will ressurect and summon right next to you the Sim of your choice. Exactly like the interaction above, you can filter the Sim you want to ressurect. While this interaction has been much tested, it is still considerated as experimental.
    • The Sim will be considerated as a townie once the ressurection is done (unless you are ressurecting a playable Sim).
    • Some Sim might not appear in the list of Sim that can be ressurected, as the game cull dead Sims at some points.
  • Save Sim in CAS Bin: Will add the Sim of your choice to the CAS Bin. You can again filter the Sims you want to find.
  • Carryover Sim (without removing it from the Kingdom): Will save as a Carryover the Sim of your choice.
    • As the interaction imply, the Sim you are carrying over will not be removed from the Kingdom.
    • The other carried over Sims won't be removed as well, in order to avoid any accidental loss.
  • Select back all Sim related to the Quest / Unselect all remaning Sim: Messed up too much with making unplayable Sims selectable? Have no fear, this interaction will reset immediately the selectable Sims, selecting back the Sims related to the quest!
    • If you forgot to unselect unplayable Sims before finishing a quest, this interaction will unselect for you every remaining Sim.
    • If for some reasons, one of the Sim you selected is now out of world (and therefore unselectable, despite being in the playable Sim list), this interaction will fix the issue for you.
  • Enable logging / Disable logging: If enabled, logs will be written if you use the mod's interaction.
    • Disabled by default, very useful if you encounter a bug with the mod. Logs will be written in your "The Sims Medieval" folder, where you can find your saved games.

Sim's interactions:
  • Make selectable/unselectable: Will make the Sim selectable/unselectable.
    You can select/unselect any Sim, except if:
    • You are trying to select a "Service" Sim (Grim Reaper, Constable...) (you can however unselect them)
    • You are trying to unselect the last selected Sim (however, if the quest is over this action will be allowed)
  • Edit in CAS: Send to CAS the selected Sim.
  • Save in CAS Bin: Save selected Sim to Cas Bin.
  • Save as Carryover and keep in the Kingdom: Save selected Sim as carryover. The Sim won't be removed from the world.
  • Set profession on Sim...: Allows to choose a profession to the Sim (or remove the profession).
    • Unlike the debug interaction, a confirmation will be asked before changing the profession.

Planned improvements
  • Adding more Sim-related interactions (killing a Sim? Add Sim to a household?...)
  • Adding a "clean armor outfits" interaction, cleaning up all buggy armor outfits.
If you wish to test new features I am working on, feel free to reach out! Any game save has its specificity, new addition needs to be tested against multiple saves in order to avoid bugs.

Changelog
  • Version 0.6
    • Changes on NPC/Players throught Edit in CAS will now stays, no matter what.
    • Improved "Set Profession" interactions. The Sim will keep its initial outfit when changing/losing its profession.
    • Mod now translation-friendly. Added French (by me) and Russian (by mariacherry) translation.

Compatibility
Should not conflict with any other mod.
Compatible with the Pirate&Nobles patch (2.0.113)
Please make a backup of your saved games before trying the mod, in case something goes wrong.

Installation
Unzip the .package file in your Mods folder and you are good to go!
You can find here how to install mods.

Don't hesitate to report any bug you may encounter with the mod, or to send suggestions.
Have fun! I hope you will enjoy this mod as much as I enjoyed making it.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  WatcherHand_V_0_6.zip (33.4 KB, 1879 downloads)
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 4:22 PM
I haven't ever lost a quest sim before although I'm aware it happens. I lost a hero in the forest once who went in and didn't come back out, eventually got them back but I don't recall how. I also lost a random townie who I'd planned to marry my spy to. I just changed my plans that time. First time for everything though (with the quest sims), and my current kingdom has been running for about 2 years and getting a bit buggy so I imagine I'll run into this problem soon enough. So thank you for this.

But omg saving random sims to the cas bin. Amazing. I use the function in Grim's mod frequently, mostly for guards etc that I've edited and then don't want to lose, so this is amazing and will be used very frequently. I can't even begin to explain how much I love this feature. This is so awesome. Thank you.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 5:40 PM
Just had to log in for the first time in years because I had to tell you this mod is so handy! So thank you very much

I was doing the start a new kingdom quests to nab the Sim files of the ones I forgot to save in bin T_T

Does the Edit in CAS have problems? I have read around that some changes don't stick.

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Mar 2022 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
I haven't ever lost a quest sim before although I'm aware it happens. I lost a hero in the forest once who went in and didn't come back out, eventually got them back but I don't recall how. I also lost a random townie who I'd planned to marry my spy to. I just changed my plans that time. First time for everything though (with the quest sims), and my current kingdom has been running for about 2 years and getting a bit buggy so I imagine I'll run into this problem soon enough. So thank you for this.

But omg saving random sims to the cas bin. Amazing. I use the function in Grim's mod frequently, mostly for guards etc that I've edited and then don't want to lose, so this is amazing and will be used very frequently. I can't even begin to explain how much I love this feature. This is so awesome. Thank you.

Thank you! Glad you are liking the mod. As I love to save random Sims too and use them afterwards in new kingdoms, it became utterly annoying to use workaround to save Sims...
FYI, if you save NPC sims. they will keep their NPC outfit when you will make them playable (unless the outfit is not available for the profession, but it can be bypassed with a cheat code most likely).

Quote: Originally posted by missy harries
Just had to log in for the first time in years because I had to tell you this mod is so handy! So thank you very much

I was doing the start a new kingdom quests to nab the Sim files of the ones I forgot to save in bin T_T

Does the Edit in CAS have problems? I have read around that some changes don't stick.

Thanks a lot!!!
Regarding the Edit in CAS, it is a bit weird. Editing a Sim outfit will rather edit the "Professional" outfit than the "NPC" outfit (unlike other Sims games, NPC and playable Sims have different categories of outfit...). The changes will stay, but you might have to control the Sim and ask it to change its outfit to see a real change.
I am working on this issue for a future version of the mod, to have a "proper" Edit in CAS.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Mar 2022 at 10:39 PM
I managed to fix the bug of "non sticking changes" with Edit in CAS .

EA code is clearly in fault here, because it will always edit the "Professional" outfit (A.K.A playable Sims outfit), and in case of non-playable Sims, create them a professional outfit (thus why every other edit in cas mods have this issue).

I managed to make the change sticks by editing "by force" the non-playable Sim outfit, in case we are editing one. I will publish this new version soon!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Mar 2022 at 7:00 PM
My apologies for the triple post, but I just released the new version 0.6. All changes should stick in Edit in CAS now, and I added a few other stuffs to the mod as well.
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Mar 2022 at 4:52 PM
Translation of the mod into Russian, it is not mine, they asked me to send it, because they could not register.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  WatcherHand_rus_translate_package.zip (3.8 KB, 38 downloads)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 1:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Agnelid
Translation of the mod into Russian, it is not mine, they asked me to send it, because they could not register.

Thanks a ton!! I will update the mod asap to include it . Please give me the name of your friend so I can write it down in the main post.
Test Subject
#9 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Snowder
Thanks a ton!! I will update the mod asap to include it . Please give me the name of your friend so I can write it down in the main post.

On Tumblr she is signed as mariacherry, or just Maria xd
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Mar 2022 at 8:09 PM Last edited by Snowder : 20th Mar 2022 at 8:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Agnelid
On Tumblr she is signed as mariacherry, or just Maria xd

Got it, thanks! I included the translation into the mod.

By the way, if anyone of you wants to features I am working on (such as cleaning up buggy armors, that and other things), feel free to say it here or send a DM.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 26th Mar 2022 at 9:45 PM
Very handy mod! Thank you! Would be cool if there was an optional version of the mod where the pie menu option for 'Watcher's Hand (Wasted Potential)' only appeared when shift clicking, like the debug options. I just started playing the sims medieval again after over a decade, and it's so nice to see people are still modding and playing the game!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 28th Mar 2022 at 12:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moveobjects
Very handy mod! Thank you! Would be cool if there was an optional version of the mod where the pie menu option for 'Watcher's Hand (Wasted Potential)' only appeared when shift clicking, like the debug options. I just started playing the sims medieval again after over a decade, and it's so nice to see people are still modding and playing the game!

Thank you, I am glad you like the mod (and glad to see more peoples still playing to the game even now!). Thanks for the suggestion as well, I'll try to see if it's possible. I am not a fan neither to see normal interaction being cluttered with debug/mods interactions.

I'll take advantage of this post to talk about the future update of the mods.
I am still working on cleaning up the buggy armors from a Sim (I am always bothered to hell when I see many armor outfit, completely different from the armor my Sim is supposed to wear).
I am also improving the Set Profession interactions. Any Sim that get a profession assigned, will be added to the appropriate household, and fully registered as a professional Sim (this is useful in case you see "Monarch/Wizard/etc needed" in the World view).

Last, but not the least, I am also working on something experimental: Implementing tombstones in the game.
While adding ghosts won't be possible, it will be possible to have urnstones assigned to Sims when they die (or assign them yourself), mourn/mock them, try to communicate with dead Sims, and even ask for a miracle to happens...

Testers are needed for the tombstones, feel free to get in touch.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#13 Old 31st Mar 2022 at 1:11 AM
Thank you, I am glad you like the mod (and glad to see more peoples still playing to the game even now!). Thanks for the suggestion as well, I'll try to see if it's possible. I am not a fan neither to see normal interaction being cluttered with debug/mods interactions.

I am still working on cleaning up the buggy armors from a Sim (I am always bothered to hell when I see many armor outfit, completely different from the armor my Sim is supposed to wear).
I am also improving the Set Profession interactions. Any Sim that get a profession assigned, will be added to the appropriate household, and fully registered as a professional Sim (this is useful in case you see "Monarch/Wizard/etc needed" in the World view).

Last, but not the least, I am also working on something experimental: Implementing tombstones in the game.
While adding ghosts won't be possible, it will be possible to have urnstones assigned to Sims when they die (or assign them yourself), mourn/mock them, try to communicate with dead Sims, and even ask for a miracle to happens...

Oh my gosh! I always wanted to have Tombstones on The Sims Medieval, I think that Grim Reaper's function was very limited since they only had to reap the Sim soul and then vanish/go away, but TOMBSTONES??? This is A-MA-ZING! I really thank you Sims Medieval modders so much for adding those features to the game!
Test Subject
#14 Old 17th Apr 2022 at 2:28 PM

Oh! Does this mean that in the quest it will be possible to choose from two different sims of the same profession (two spies, for example)?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Apr 2022 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigrezki
Oh! Does this mean that in the quest it will be possible to choose from two different sims of the same profession (two spies, for example)?

This can be done, even now, as long as you assign the appropriate profession to the Sim.

However, what the mod doesn't address yet (but will be properly addressed in the next update, as soon as I am done with the urnstone mod within this week), is the case in which your Sim die. The game will ask you to create a new wizard/bard/etc, even if you already have one in the Kingdom.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#16 Old 22nd Apr 2022 at 12:57 PM
Hi! First of all, a great thanks for all work you do! Watcher's hand is an amazing mod, really helpfull for me, and also I'm looking forward to see the graves you are working on now

I'm very sorry if this would be indecent or rude but inspired by awesome things you make I wish to ask if you could work on one more feature for Watcher's hand (ore maybe a new mod!). (hope you don't not mind some kind of request! :'3) Anyway, maybe you find this interesting!

I love making siblings or parents with children sims, and I really missing the oportunity to make heroes-relatives in TSM. It would be incredible if you could (and wished!) to make a mod for making exsisting sims relatives. I think making parents/children and brothers/sisters would be enough for all needs. Maybe it would look like clicking by active sim on any other sim and switching option like "make brother" etc, or switchinh any sims by mailbox if this is possible. There is also the same feature in Nraas MasterController mod for TS3 so you may take a look on it as reference, idk?

Sorry again! But I would be so glad if you find this interesting! Anyway, thank you very much for everything you do.
Scholar
#17 Old 22nd Apr 2022 at 2:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennetha_v
....."I love making siblings or parents with children sims, and I really missing the oportunity to make heroes-relatives in TSM. It would be incredible if you could (and wished!) to make a mod for making exsisting sims relatives. I think making parents/children and brothers/sisters would be enough for all needs. Maybe it would look like clicking by active sim on any other sim and switching option like "make brother" etc, or switchinh any sims by mailbox if this is possible." .....

You can already do this. In my current kingdom the Doctor and Monarch are brothers, both came out of the cas bin and the Doctor is a former Castle guard I edited and carried over. One of the royal advisors who spawned in looked like she could be related to them so I made her their mother.
If you switch on Debug in the core, there's a tab on your sims interactions called genealogy. You can directly add a sibling from here. My kingdom is old and I made them all related years ago, so I don't 100% recall how I got the advisor to be their mother since there's no direct option for this. I think I made her active and clicked to adopt them both?? (which may or may not be correct since they're all listed as being related by blood.)
A less awkward way to do this would be very cool though.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#18 Old 22nd Apr 2022 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
You can already do this. In my current kingdom the Doctor and Monarch are brothers, both came out of the cas bin and the Doctor is a former Castle guard I edited and carried over. One of the royal advisors who spawned in looked like she could be related to them so I made her their mother.
If you switch on Debug in the core, there's a tab on your sims interactions called genealogy. You can directly add a sibling from here. My kingdom is old and I made them all related years ago, so I don't 100% recall how I got the advisor to be their mother since there's no direct option for this. I think I made her active and clicked to adopt them both?? (which may or may not be correct since they're all listed as being related by blood.)

Wow, thank you, that's cool, I didn't know about it. But still not ideal, I guess. Anyway I think it would be nice to have an opportunity to manipulate this the easier way, ha-ha
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Apr 2022 at 6:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kennetha_v
Wow, thank you, that's cool, I didn't know about it. But still not ideal, I guess. Anyway I think it would be nice to have an opportunity to manipulate this the easier way, ha-ha

Hello and thank you! Glad to see you are liking the mod.

I hear you regarding the genealogy part. This is funny because I have as a plan to make something more user-friendly for the genealogy, and planned to release it for the next version of the mod, so consider it done!

The mod will also have Overwatch (the mod from Nraas) functions like too. I am running a function at midnight game time to clean up bad armor outfit on all sims, and I definitely planned to do more regarding this.
Test Subject
#20 Old 22nd Apr 2022 at 7:46 PM
Hello and thank you! Glad to see you are liking the mod.

I hear you regarding the genealogy part. This is funny because I have as a plan to make something more user-friendly for the genealogy, and planned to release it for the next version of the mod, so consider it done!

The mod will also have Overwatch (the mod from Nraas) functions like too. I am running a function at midnight game time to clean up bad armor outfit on all sims, and I definitely planned to do more regarding this.

Sounds amazing! Glad to hear it! Looking forward to see all of these :3
Thank you again for all!
Test Subject
#21 Old 15th Jun 2022 at 7:27 AM Last edited by Cho de Gier : 17th Jun 2022 at 9:40 AM.
You can already do this. In my current kingdom the knight and the blacksmith are brothers, both came out of the cas bin and the wizard is a former Castle guard I edited and carried over. One of the royal servants who spawned in looked like she could be related to them so I made her their mother.

Lab Assistant
#22 Old 4th Feb 2023 at 3:32 AM
This mod is fantastic! It saved a save game of mine from bugging out because I could kill and resurrect the offending Sim. Thanks for the great work!
Test Subject
#23 Old 15th Sep 2023 at 11:03 AM
Brazilian Portuguese Pt-Br Translation
I translated it for my own use, and I thought it would be cool to share, in case there are other Brazilian users of this mod.
By the way, thank you very much for creating it, it is very useful.
Test Subject
#24 Old 6th Oct 2023 at 6:56 PM
Hi! How can I translate this mod?
Test Subject
#25 Old 30th Jan 2024 at 6:28 PM

hey! Omg I always wanted tombstones in this game! Could you please send me the archive so I can test it? It will be my pleasure.
My e-mail is: andre_vianap66@yahoo.com