Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th May 2021 at 9:43 AM
Strange lighting in the sims 3
In The Sims 3, you may have noticed that light falls on everything except stairs, plants and fences. That is, from any light source that emits light, objects and the fence will not be illuminated. Is there any solution to the problem, or at least a mod? (I will send screenshots a little later)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th May 2021 at 7:02 PM
The issue is that the Sims 3 lighting engine relies largely on shaders to determine how objects interact with lighting. As such, I believe that the stairs, plants and fences all have their own specific shaders that likely don't work properly now.

You can see how @simsi45 fixed this for some of the other objects by changing their shaders: https://modthesims.info/d/655529/ti...shader-fix.html

However, this may possibly be done for stairs and fences, since they use their own specific shaders (Stairs & Fence), but it can't be done for trees since they are Speedtree objects that are not easily editable in normal Sims 3 modding programs.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 15th May 2021 at 11:14 PM
So this is something that has been bothering me for a while!

Before I made THIS mod, I attempted to make the fences light up. When changing their shaders they create issues (the most common is that when drawing with the fence tool the fence just glitches out and spreads out all over the place)

Now let's say that switching their shaders DID work, the fences would indeed light up when placed outside BUT they would look broken as smooth lighting isn't enabled in outdoor spaces. It's the same thing as placing counters outside, even though indoors the light flows smoothly outside it doesn't.

My only conclusion is that the only way to POSSIBLY fix these issues is to crack the shaders of the game. If that happens there is a possibility to edit how light travels outside, or even better edit the "Fence" and "Stair" shader itself to enable illumination outdoors. For plants I'm not so sure as they are quite tricky.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 16th May 2021 at 5:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I know you can use the transmogrifier to copy the script of street lamps that cross the lot boundary and the real world to a lamp that doesn't. This will allow you to use any street lamp to cross that boundary.

Wait, seriously? I didn't even know there were specific street lamps that cross the boundary.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th May 2021 at 9:40 AM
If you have Nvidia, you can try turning on the AO.

I have an AMD video card
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 16th May 2021 at 9:44 AM
If you have Nvidia, you can try turning on the AO.

Is there a way to enable AO on an AMD video card?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th May 2021 at 11:20 AM
No, but you can try reshade.

Either way, I just tested it above, AO will not fix this.

You can fix it by using hidden lights in the formation in the screenshots above. At least temporarily until someone figure out how to mod it.

How to recode?