Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#33426 Old 26th Mar 2024 at 5:13 AM
@grammapat, There is no rent in a dorm. You move into a dorm for free and then once in awhile bills come to the mailbox, dorm fees for the use of the facilities I suppose, to cover the food you eat and wear and tear on the amenities. They don't come that often (maybe once per continuous residency? I generally prefer residences so don't play dorms very long usually), but I expect if you can't pay them the repo man will come and take some of the college's stuff.

Residences and frat houses are much the same. The move-in cost can be astronomical but then after that it's just ordinary bills once in a blue moon. Get several people in a house - as in a Greek, but also just random assortment of roommates - and even if nobody makes dean's list the money accumulates nicely.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#33427 Old 26th Mar 2024 at 8:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I've been looking for formal outfits with shorts for boys. After all I almost always wore shorts before I was about twelve. Most British boys did in the fifties and early sixties.

My brain says that it should be formal shoes rather than sneakers and knee length socks. Based on school uniforms at my schools. XD

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
@grammapat, There is no rent in a dorm. You move into a dorm for free and then once in awhile bills come to the mailbox, dorm fees for the use of the facilities I suppose, to cover the food you eat and wear and tear on the amenities. They don't come that often (maybe once per continuous residency? I generally prefer residences so don't play dorms very long usually), but I expect if you can't pay them the repo man will come and take some of the college's stuff.

Residences and frat houses are much the same. The move-in cost can be astronomical but then after that it's just ordinary bills once in a blue moon. Get several people in a house - as in a Greek, but also just random assortment of roommates - and even if nobody makes dean's list the money accumulates nicely.

Never having lived in a dorm in RL, I'm curious. I'd imagine you would have to pay to live there unless you had a scholarship? Sims get it easy. They don't even have to pay for University.
Mad Poster
#33428 Old 26th Mar 2024 at 6:39 PM
IRL, there's a dorm fee that's paid generally along with tuition, once per semester, which is generally much lower than local rents. You can express preferences beforehand about your roommate and which dorm you go into, which will be accommodated if possible, but generally speaking you'll be assigned a roommate, building, and room and just have to deal for at least the semester, when you can apply to change something. My college had "suites" with two rooms sharing a bathroom and usually two people per room, though some of the larger rooms could house three people. Cooking is not allowed in the rooms (but it's done, and in my dorm, which had balconies, a lot of people had grills) and there was one laundry room for the whole building. Older dorms in older colleges might only have one bathroom per floor, but I would be surprised if any of these were still operational. And you'd also pay for a meal plan that would allow you to eat in the cafeteria and snack bar without any money changing hands at time of consumption. Unlike sim dorms there was one big cafeteria with an industrial kitchen, centrally located, and one snack bar in the student union, which were both covered by the meal plan.

It's forty years since I attended college so I expect some things have changed; there might be more snack bars, or franchises allowed to operate on campus and participate in the meal plan, or dorms with only one inhabitant per room or a different bathroom arrangement. I believe they're all co-ed dorms now, which was still a little controversial when I attended. My first semester was in a co-ed dorm, but the boys were all on the bottom three floors and the girls all on the 7 above, and theoretically we weren't allowed opposite-sex guests or even on the same floor except during certain hours (but we all know how that went!).

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#33429 Old 26th Mar 2024 at 8:23 PM
I lived in the dorms my first two years of uni. Granted that was 20-ish years ago, but I understand not much has changed at that particular school since then. The residences (we had several buildings) were each divided into wings, usually by floor. Our roommate selection was similar to what Peni Griffin was saying, but we also had single rooms available. The rooms all came with a bed, desk, chair, closet, dresser, and mirror for each person, and they were SMALL. Each wing had a communal bathroom with toilets, showers, and sometimes tubs (all in their own little stalls, of course). They were usually male-only or female-only, however I did live in a co-ed wing during my last year there. Males and females were separated, and there were separate communal bathrooms for each.

We had one central cafeteria for all the buildings, but could also get snacks at different food shops around the university. Our meals and rooms were all paid for per semester (there was no separate meal plan). There were also study halls located through the dorms that everyone was welcome to use at any time. (My personal favourite was the Gold Room, with lovely gold shag carpeting, gold wallpaper, and the ugliest couches ever to grace the earth.) In theory we weren't supposed to have opposite-sex members in our dorm rooms as well, although my first-year roommate's boyfriend pretty much lived with us all year so that was fun. Did I mention the rooms were small? Yeah...

I usually make my Sims stay in the dorms for their first two years before they can move out. If I had to suffer through it then so do they!
Mad Poster
#33430 Old 26th Mar 2024 at 10:15 PM
Oh, yes, there was also a "day room" on each floor - TV, armchairs and couches with stuffing coming out, elementary cooking facilities, just enough to make nachos or something for a party. That's where all the male/female socializing was supposed to happen, and "dorm business" was supposed to be conducted there, but I barely remember what they looked like. The day room is what I was thinking of when I made the common areas of the dorms for LGU. There were no book cases in the dorms, though. If you wanted to study outside of your own room you went to the library, where all the books were. No dorm could have held even all the textbooks for all the different classes available.

Lab Assistant
#33431 Old Yesterday at 2:43 AM
Is it possible for a Sim to sustain the "have a baby" fear throughout their whole pregnancy? Or is it automatically granted when they find out they're pregnant?
Mad Poster
#33432 Old Yesterday at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
@grammapat, There is no rent in a dorm..

And again, totally too unrealistic for me. College should be hugely expensive; relatives and friends should be able to contribute. Better yet, the student should be able to have a job! Yes, I like realism.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
#33433 Old Yesterday at 3:53 AM
Secondary Knowledge aspiration helps reduce "Cure Friend's Occult State" wants, right? I'm pairing a witch up with somebody and he has a wish for her to be cured. Relinquishing her powers would prevent the entire story I want to play out.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Mad Poster
#33434 Old Yesterday at 4:55 AM
No, aspiration doesn't reduce the frequency of any wants. You can block the wants entirely with a check tree mod, but that's it.
Theorist
#33435 Old Yesterday at 8:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkdynamite
Is it possible for a Sim to sustain the "have a baby" fear throughout their whole pregnancy? Or is it automatically granted when they find out they're pregnant?
You can lock fears the same way you can lock wants. It's realized right after labor.
Scholar
#33436 Old Yesterday at 1:31 PM
Looking at this disease token, which byte is the current severity? I see 01 is 4 (the id for flu), 02 is hex for 120 (the lethality threshold), and 04 is hex for 70 (the CT which I don't know what that means).
Screenshots

3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Mad Poster
#33437 Old Yesterday at 3:48 PM
CT might be contagiousness

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,5200.0.html

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Inventor
#33438 Old Yesterday at 3:51 PM
I believe that prop 3 (zero based) is "severity" and prop 4 (zero based) is "contagiousness". At least that's what I have written down. Note that in a script properties are counted from 1.
Scholar
#33439 Old Yesterday at 4:06 PM
Thanks. Looks like one more day of bed rest (possibly calling in sick) for the sufferer.

Mad Poster
#33440 Old Yesterday at 5:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
Secondary Knowledge aspiration helps reduce "Cure Friend's Occult State" wants, right? I'm pairing a witch up with somebody and he has a wish for her to be cured. Relinquishing her powers would prevent the entire story I want to play out.

Some aspirations have wants and fears which conflict with other aspirations, and this can result in conflicting wants and fears with sims with a secondary aspiration. For example, Knowledge can roll wants of becoming occult life states and will fear being cured of them, along with wanting to be abducted by aliens, but all other sims of different aspirations fear becoming occults and aliens, and will wish to be cured of being occult. Having Knowledge as the primary aspiration can mitigate fears from secondary aspirations generally speaking, as the opposing wants and fears will re-roll and change. Another example is the conflicting desires of Family and Romance sims, as the aforementioned seeks romantic commitment and having children, whereas the latter fears such things and seeks a noncommittal lifestyle.

So, secondary Knowledge aspiration could give you some amusing situations where they want someone to be cured, yet also want to become a witch themselves. XD
Lab Assistant
#33441 Old Yesterday at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
You can lock fears the same way you can lock wants. It's realized right after labor.

But they won't sustain it autonomously without locking it, correct?
Mad Poster
#33442 Old Yesterday at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
Thanks. Looks like one more day of bed rest (possibly calling in sick) for the sufferer.

You don't need to look at the token in SimPE to find this out, the batbox displays all of these values in game.
Mad Poster
#33443 Old Today at 12:40 AM
Is there a way to limit the number of customers on a specific owned lot? My Sim's sandwich shop is often overcrowded.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#33444 Old Today at 12:49 AM
The number of customers is based on the business level, so if you can lose some stars and knock it down to level 9, there will be fewer customers.
Mad Poster
#33445 Old Today at 12:58 AM
I took two customers who are friends and made them sit down at one of the tables. Now they just hang out there and take up two slots which helps a bit.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#33446 Old Today at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Is there a way to limit the number of customers on a specific owned lot? My Sim's sandwich shop is often overcrowded.

Didn't SimWardrobe used to have something like this? I though it was called the customer limit adjustor or something like that.
Mad Poster
#33447 Old Today at 3:50 AM
...Yup!

Alchemist
#33448 Old Today at 7:03 AM
here's a random question...would it be possible to make a mod that flags tents as indoor spaces? Where would one begin? I'm sick of my sims suffering through the hours with temperature extremes and weather reactions.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Mad Poster
#33449 Old Today at 7:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
here's a random question...would it be possible to make a mod that flags tents as indoor spaces? Where would one begin? I'm sick of my sims suffering through the hours with temperature extremes and weather reactions.

There's a mod for the temperature.

Alchemist
#33450 Old Today at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
There's a mod for the temperature.

I have that one. Maybe it isn't working correctly. There could be a conflict, I suppose.

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Page 1338 of 1338