Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#9251 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 4:27 AM Last edited by kestrellyn : 22nd Jul 2021 at 4:56 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
There's a bug in the architecture career at the Architect level in a chance card. It says they don't get any salary that day but that actually removes all of your family funds. Lost almost $100 000! That's a crime! I will be suing.

It looks like the specific bug is that it deducts 985,000 simoleons instead of 985 simoleons. I'll have to look into whether or not fixing this would break something else, though. It's because of a hack they used to make it possible to get 75,000 from a chance card when the game only knows about numbers up to 32,767, or at least that's my understanding from looking at it once.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#9252 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 4:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I'm...pretty sure I've bought souvenirs in non-vacation hoods. It's possible that I've got a mod, or that you've got a mod conflict.

I think you must have a mod, or maybe they work in a downtown but not a home neighborhood, or something like that... This card appears when I direct a Sim to interact with the display though, which seems like the type of thing that would only show up if this were intentional behavior.
Screenshots

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Link Ninja
#9253 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I think you must have a mod, or maybe they work in a downtown but not a home neighborhood, or something like that... This card appears when I direct a Sim to interact with the display though, which seems like the type of thing that would only show up if this were intentional behavior.

They gotta make you go there for something don't they? Your sim must spend at least 500 simloeons to travel to a place just to get the keepsake. They don't want any fakers in this hood!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#9254 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
It looks like the specific bug is that it deducts 984,000 simoleons instead of 985 simoleons. I'll have to look into whether or not fixing this would break something else, though. It's because of a hack they used to make it possible to get 75,000 from a chance card when the game only knows about numbers up to 32,767, or at least that's my understanding from looking at it once.

Ok, based on the way other EA chance cards work, there is actually an easy fix that doesn't break anything. Now you will only lose 1,000 simoleons, which is good enough for government work. This is untested for the moment, I'll probably test it tomorrow or something and upload it for real, but I'm pretty sure this should work. http://www.simfileshare.net/download/2611668/
Mad Poster
#9255 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 9:21 AM
Theorist
#9256 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 10:05 AM
Whoa, today I discovered that souvenirs actually have some benefits when placed on a specific type of shelving.
Top Secret Researcher
#9257 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 2:13 PM
What benefits and what shelves?

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Theorist
#9258 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 6:04 PM
According to Sims Wiki, it's the ShowMeOff Rack of Glory Souvenir (the shelf that comes with BV).

Quote: Originally posted by The Sims Wiki
  • Collecting five of any Far East souvenirs will allow faster skill building.
  • Collecting five of any Mountain souvenirs will make non-romantic interactions more effective.
  • Collecting five of any Tropical souvenirs will make romantic interactions more effective.
  • Collecting five of any seashells will reduce the bladder motive decay.
  • Collecting five voodoo dolls will make Sims who view the rack imagine that they're being chased by bees.
Mad Poster
#9259 Old 22nd Jul 2021 at 11:26 PM
I read that paragraph in the Wiki, and then read on-the pirate ship has a use, after all:

Quote:
In addition to buyable souvenirs, Sims may collect pirate collectibles by plundering the captain's cabin in a pirate ship. Sims might find the captain's log, a gold doubloon, a treasure map, or nothing, if unsuccessful. Their values are worth §675, §750, and §2,500 respectively. Sims might also encounter Pirate Captain Edward Dregg while plundering. Sims cannot plunder any more loot while the pirate captain is out on deck.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Top Secret Researcher
#9260 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 2:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
According to Sims Wiki, it's the ShowMeOff Rack of Glory Souvenir (the shelf that comes with BV).

No way! I wish I knew that before I made 500 perfect robots. They visited far east a lot to learn to teleport but never bought any souvenirs. Does it help with learning badges as well?

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Test Subject
#9261 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 3:12 AM
Today I discovered that when you're on a date with a townie, you can lock one of their wants just like if they were playable! All these years and I never even thought to try.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9262 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 10:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cosmaline
Today I discovered that when you're on a date with a townie, you can lock one of their wants just like if they were playable!

Once, I made 90% of the sims in the neighbourhood have the locked want 'woohoo with Sim Sample' using this feature.
Mad Poster
#9263 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp

The rack just has to be in same room? Or Sim has to look at it...k?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Theorist
#9264 Old 23rd Jul 2021 at 8:04 PM
It seems it has to be, yes.

"Being close to the rack seems to make me feel more skillful/friendly/romantic" is the notification you'll receive when viewing the rack with Far East/mountain/tropical souvenirs. I haven't noticed a very large boost in skilling. My Sim was studying cooking from a chair two tiles away from the rack, in the same room. I was feeling lazy so I didn't test further with different Sims to study the change in their relationship when using the mountain/tropical souvenirs.

"I hear a strange buzzing sound", on the other hand, is the notification you receive when the Sim looks at the five voodoo dolls, and they indeed get chased by bees, much like the Mellifera Attackum witch spell.
Lab Assistant
#9265 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 12:58 AM
Tybalt Capp is furious at his wife Rihanna for flirting. They have a newborn & she had to go to work, leaving Tybalt to babysit. Tybalt picked the baby up out of his crib & took him into the bathroom & held him while he practiced his speech in the mirror. I've never seen that before. Tybalt & Rihanna have both been known to take sponge baths in the kitchen sink, even though they have a perfectly good shower, when no one was in the bathroom. ?
Forum Resident
#9266 Old 25th Jul 2021 at 11:45 PM
In my current play session, a pet cat ran away due to a fire, and since I was preoccupied with trying to get needs back in order, I forgot to report her missing. I was surprised to see this want jog my memory:

I found it so cute!
Screenshots

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Test Subject
#9267 Old 26th Jul 2021 at 9:01 AM
I recently learned that shy sims do the flirt/charm interaction differently than other sims! I learned this a few days ago playing with the Summerdream household, and was confused why when Puck was flirting with Romeo the interaction was different from the regular charm interaction, then realized why. I find it so interesting how much detail they put into this game
Test Subject
#9268 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 4:15 AM
Today I discovered that hiking can be a life-threatening activity. Twice Vidcund Curious went on hiking trips in winter, and both times he came home and immediately collapsed of heatstroke on the sidewalk. If not for the power of motive-adjusting cheats, he would probably be dead. I think what happened is that he automatically put on his outerwear upon going outside, only for the temperature boost that comes from hiking to send him over the top into heatstroke. Not sure what to do about this other than pay more attention to what sims are wearing when they go hiking.
Mad Poster
#9269 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 4:22 AM
The temperature boost from hiking shouldn't be that much - I've never noticed it, and I send sims hiking all the time. The temperature boost from jogging, on the other hand, is deadly, especially if you don't have a cold shower mod - because they come home overheated and tanking hygiene, and both showers and baths raise temperatures in a vanilla game.

This might be a mod conflict or side effect; or possibly Vidcund's temperature was already red when he headed out.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#9270 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
The temperature boost from hiking shouldn't be that much - I've never noticed it, and I send sims hiking all the time. The temperature boost from jogging, on the other hand, is deadly, especially if you don't have a cold shower mod - because they come home overheated and tanking hygiene, and both showers and baths raise temperatures in a vanilla game.

This might be a mod conflict or side effect; or possibly Vidcund's temperature was already red when he headed out.

In hindsight, I might have sent him out right after his post-work bubble bath. The fact that I managed to do it twice in a row without realizing the problem is kind of impressive, though. I'll take this as a lesson to pay more attention to sims' temperatures.
Scholar
#9271 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 1:18 PM
I don't do hiking or jogging (don't have the EP), but I have noticed having two summers in a row in Strangetown, that can cause temperatures to rise quickly and dangerously. Just sleeping in a bed can be hazardous. I got the air conditioner from Simological and now everyone has one or two in their houses. I also find it amusing when I see a Sim just standing in the middle of the room and I realize they're cooling off under the A/C. Didn't help poor Tommy Ottomas, but he was overheated in the bathroom and I didn't see him until Grimmie had already appeared...
Lab Assistant
#9272 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
I have noticed having two summers in a row in Strangetown, that can cause temperatures to rise quickly and dangerously. Just sleeping in a bed can be hazardous.

I hadn't put it together that "having two summers in a row" triggered it, but a few nights ago in my desert 'hood three out of five members of one family woke up at around 2 AM and, one after another, keeled over from heat stroke. Fortunately Dr. Flora knew that the best thing to do for heat stroke victims is to throw water on them, and all recovered. This was the first time I've seen any heat stroke in the game, mainly because this is the first desert 'hood I've ever played. So thanks for explaining that!
Mad Poster
#9273 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 3:39 PM
Make sure your homes are all weatherproofed properly.

My primary problem with heatstroke, in my broken Strangetown, was always when I first entered a lot, since sims who appear on community lots or visit other people's houses would often do things that elevated their temperatures (tossing footballs, sitting in hot tubs, using the host's shower at a party) and then they'd be in bed when I got back to them on rotation.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#9274 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
I don't do hiking or jogging (don't have the EP), but I have noticed having two summers in a row in Strangetown, that can cause temperatures to rise quickly and dangerously. Just sleeping in a bed can be hazardous. I got the air conditioner from Simological and now everyone has one or two in their houses. I also find it amusing when I see a Sim just standing in the middle of the room and I realize they're cooling off under the A/C. Didn't help poor Tommy Ottomas, but he was overheated in the bathroom and I didn't see him until Grimmie had already appeared...

Putting them in a swimsuit or underwear I think used to help. In addition to ceiling fans or swimming pools. I don't remember if drinking tap water helped too.
Mad Poster
#9275 Old 27th Jul 2021 at 5:01 PM
The first thing to do when a sim is overheating is to send them to drink water from sink. That's the only effective vanilla way to lower the temperature in a hurry without mouthwatering lemons and a blender. Water balloon fights lower temperature, but it takes awhile. I once lost track of a couple of Newsons pelting each other with water balloons at night in a Strangetown summer, and their temperatures were dangerously low before I realized there could be a problem, but they'd been at it for hours at that point.

The cold shower mod is useful, but only if they're at least yellow in hygiene, as otherwise they get out before it helps much. I send joggers for a cold shower as soon as they get home and it's the only thing that makes jogging a viable activity in the summertime at all.

Page 371 of 445