Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#6151 Old 18th Jan 2022 at 9:53 PM
Meanwhile, I wish there was a preschool stage. The toddler to school aged transition is dramatic and can't really be fixed with mods.
Advertisement
Inventor
#6152 Old 19th Jan 2022 at 9:12 AM
I guess life moves too quickly for sim people. Plantmen skip over a stage of growing up entirely. Children are hardly visible in the game with 6 hours spent at school, mostly barred from visiting, never walking home from school or going to a commlot to buy sweets.

Here is mine: When you're a rich family living in an enormous mansion with stairs, and none of the family members can run and they can grow old walking from bedroom to carpool.
Mad Poster
#6153 Old 19th Jan 2022 at 5:24 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th Jan 2022 at 5:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Meanwhile, I wish there was a preschool stage. The toddler to school aged transition is dramatic and can't really be fixed with mods.

Quote: Originally posted by didyouevenmakeasound
A preteen life stage would be even better...your kiddies jump from looking five years old to looking 18 in an instant lol

A preschooler can (for storytelling at least) be cheated a bit with a little bit of stretchskeleton and the way you dress them up. You can change the age on the kids a bit with the clothes and general look. Dress them "cute" or as if their parents dressed them if you want them to look young, and more "I have my own style" if they're older. Kids can work from anything between 5/6-11 years or thereabout.

After that it gets a bit iffy until the teen stage, which works fine from around 15. There's nothing that explains the jump between around 11 to 15 and it really annoys me, since you can only go so far with stretchskeleton and clothes. There's a kid's body, or there's boobs or large shoulders for the teens - nothing in between.

A preteen age would've been at the top of my wishlist, then a more interactive baby age (learning to crawl, more playing, can ineract with other ages, etc.), then a preschooler age (maybe a bit more like combined TS2 and TS4 activities, starting out more like TS2 toddlers and ending up more like preschooler age - but I honestly don't mind if toddler/preschooler was combined, since these are similar in age and aren't too different in activities. Depends where the kids were supposed to be in age in relation to the preschooler, and whether there was a preteen too. Can be too many ages to keep track of...).
Inventor
#6154 Old 20th Jan 2022 at 3:40 PM
The Go to College want. Maxis really wants to show university down our throats. Teen people want to go to college every day and all day if they have the Fortune aspiration. They want to willingly lose a good fraction of their life, abandon their love, and think they'll get accepted in university at 14 years of age without completing their primary education. They sometimes want to go to college more than kiss their girlfriend on a date. Fortune aspirants like Dustin Broke can be really miserable if they have broken up with their girlfriend and have permanent want slots for college, private school, earn $1000 and plant a seed.

How could I tweak this want? It does not have a check tree. I tried extracting the xwnt file and including it into a mod together with a new CT, but it doesn't load this way. I would like this want to show up when the person is old enough, and has medium or higher school grade.
Top Secret Researcher
#6155 Old 20th Jan 2022 at 3:49 PM
Lately that little groan that kids do when playing tag has started to annoy me. Every ten seconds it's "Uuuuhhh!"

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Mad Poster
#6156 Old 20th Jan 2022 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight on 11th Jan 2022
It's always interesting to hear about others' playstyles. A few simmers have wished for a first person view and controls in the Hacks You'd Like to See thread, but I've never wanted that--I play a completely different way. I don't really role play as my sims or want to see things from their point of view, unless I'm taking pictures or something. "Watcher" really is a good way to describe my playing mindset. Or "Architect," I suppose, when I'm playing out a detailed storyline. And I like controlling multiple sims at once, too. Playing a family of about 3-6 sims is my sweet spot. I usually find playing just one sim boring, unless I've a highly intricate plot going on.
I like like keeping the camera angle low, and walls up (or at least cutaway) so that as near as possible I see their world as my Sims see it. I don't want my Sims to see me as a god -- I don't deserve that. I prefer to see myself as in the game beside them helping them. Maybe more their pastor than their god. If you like, my Sims are souls in my care. (Of course TS2 Sims have souls -- everybody knows that!) I do believe I have a duty of care towards my Sims, but as a pastor I have my limitations: I have to confess I am quite often guilty of leading them into temptation -- especially the Romance Sims. (When I played Pleasantview I used SetHour to give Daniel and Kaylynn more time for their woohoo -- and of course I ignored Mary-Sue's chance card so she wouldn't come home and disturb them.) As I've said elsewhere the one thing that could persuade me to buy a new release of The Sims, would be some form of Virtual Reality that would allow to have genuine face to face interactions with my Sims. Though ideally I'd want to be able to import Veronaville into the new game, because all the Sims I want to make friends with live there.

"Architect"? That has a special significance to me. A few years ago I took part in d_dgjdhh's Monopoly Game Town building contest. I had to name a construction firm, and I decided it would be Jones and Moltke Construction (Veronaville) Ltd., with Andrew and Julian as the company directors. Well Andrew, as by far the dominant one of that pair, became Managing Director (MD) and gave Julian the notional position of "Creative Director". I was their Architect, which meant that Andrew in effect became my boss. Well, I really enjoyed the dynamic of that relationship. We had to have lots of detailed (imaginary) conversations about the various contracts and how to build and furnish them. As a boss I found Andrew firm but fair, and it brought me close to him in what must be a very unusual relationship between between Simmer and Sim.

Quote: Originally posted by Phantomknight
@ AndrewGloria that sounds like that OFB bug where, when you visit an OFB shop with another Family, all the employees get reassigned. Or sometimes the manager, if you have one, randomly reassigns employees. Can't tell you how many times a manager has told an employee to stop being a cashier or restocking to tidy... nothing. Try Pescado's No Reassign; that way, sims should keep whatever assignments you've given them when you played them. And the auto cash register is good to use if the shop only has one sim, but if you want Scott to have his family help at the shop, maybe try Squinge's Hire Family Members (I don't think there's a newer version of this mod, so you should be okay with it). With that you can hire family members as employees--then the game should recognize them as such and they'll show up when other playables visit. Otherwise, I don't think the game considers family members as part of the business.
Actually, when I think about it, tidying up the shop probably was the last task Scott was assigned to when I last played the shop with them as the active family. When Scott and his teenage son are running the shop together, Ross usually stays on the till (because he's good at it), while Scott deals with sales, restocking, and general tidying up, only occasionally relieving Ross on the till, when the latter needs a break. When the shop closes for the day, they will tidy up together before going home. So maybe the answer is to assign Scott (the owner) to the till before they go home. I'm not keen on the auto cash register; people choosing to go to a family-owned grocer are likely to be looking for the personal touch. (In real life I hate self-service tills; I believe they're a cause of unemployment.) I have Squinge's Hire Family Members, but Scott isn't keen -- that would mean he'd have to pay Ross! Maybe I can persuade him that, if he employed his son, the money would stay in the family, so it wouldn't really cost them anything. Scott is a bit of a miser, but to be fair to him, he has a business loan from Consort Capp (Consort Hutchins-Capp since his recent marriage), and he's struggling to repay it. If Consort foreclosed he'd lose his business.

Anyway thanks for your help, and apologies for my tardiness in replying. I'll try assigning Scott to the till before he goes home first, and, if that doesn't work, we'll try making Ross an employee. I'd really like to see this shop succeeding.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#6157 Old 20th Jan 2022 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I like like keeping the camera angle low, and walls up (or at least cutaway) so that as near as possible I see their world as my Sims see it.

Same here. Not for the "god mode" or anything, but because I prefer to see what my sims are doing (and because pictures look better when you're not doing bird's eye from a mile away). I honestly don't understand how people manage to play zoomed out with walls down for long periods at a time, because that would drive me crazy after just a few minutes. But each to their own.

I also don't get how you'd play with a first-person view for regular gameplay with TS2. It's just not built to work like that. Must be kinda clunky and difficult to play (for videos and such it could probably be useful as an addition to the CAM mode, that's something else). It's easier for pictures than movies, though - if I need a "POV" shot I can get one with the CAM mode and the camera hack I already have. Wouldn't add it to the regular live play camera...
Alchemist
#6158 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 12:40 AM
Walls down, zoomed out is exactly how I play! I don't like to be too far out, but I definitely like to see most of the floor, so I can keep an eye on several sims at once--and I gotta be able to see walkbys. I guess I'm nosy, because I always feel the need to see who's walking by, ringing the doorbell, or just jogging through the block. Never know who will show up and who I can introduce to my sims! I can't stand playing with walls up--not only are my walls not very interesting, but usually I feel like I can't see what's going on. But I don't see myself as a god, either. I just watch over them. Or get them into trouble. Either, or--depends on my mood.

And yeah, because of the way the game is, I also don't really get the first-person view thing, but, like I said, I have seen a few asks/wishes for it. I think that'll be a thing in some future games, especially if EA wants to go the virtual reality/metaverse route. It would synergize well with their goal of making everything multiplayer and connected to social media somehow. For me though, playing TS2 is more like writing my own stories. And I'm not the main character so things like first person view and playing the game at sim-level don't really make sense to me. It's definitely more third person narrator for me, if that makes sense.

And AndrewGloria, it is a tough decision. Sure all the money would stay in the family (though Ross would get the memory of earning money), but when you play them at home, Ross would be ineligible for the Young Entrepreneurs Award, if you care about scholarships. OFB jobs don't have ranks like regular Maxis jobs. And then he'd probably try to go to work, even though his dad is at home and not at the shop!

I really wish Maxis coded OFB jobs better. If you hire playables, they're basically working double time and end up making a ton of money (because they get paid when you play as the owner, but then, if you play their household later, they go off to work again, often for longer hours, and get paid again. Doesn't really work in a game set up for rotational play.)

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#6159 Old 22nd Jan 2022 at 2:28 AM
I like playing with cutaway walls and have the camera really close to my sims to have the game be more immersive. makes you feel like you're in the room or outside with them and you can see the facial features of your sims as they go through different emotional states. I also like playing that way to see how well I made a sim or outfit and what I can do to improve on them.
Mad Poster
#6160 Old 24th Jan 2022 at 10:32 PM
I usually play with the walls down though I pretend they're still up and they are for my sims as it's only down for me to control them if they started to do dumb things like so often happens when they try to take a bath when they've got a full bladder.I also tested my modified version of the power fridge and it looks like my old annoyances with it are gone.
Mad Poster
#6161 Old 25th Jan 2022 at 10:33 PM
I wish that adults (and teens and elders too) could pick up a teddy bear that's causing an obstruction, and put it down somewhere where it's out of everybody's way.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#6162 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 11:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I wish that adults (and teens and elders too) could pick up a teddy bear that's causing an obstruction, and put it down somewhere where it's out of everybody's way.

Oh God yes. I had an apartment where somebody put a teddybear outside, right in front of the stairs, just as the entire family had gone to school/work and all the neighbours got stuck. And because it was outside, I couldn't grab it either. I had to wait for someone to come home so I could order them to use it to talk through and get it out of the way.
Mad Poster
#6163 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 4:26 PM
I am all for NOT having a teddy bear at all
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6164 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro

BUT- but...

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#6165 Old 26th Jan 2022 at 11:00 PM

I couldn't do that. That would just be too sad in real life.

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Mad Poster
#6166 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 12:36 AM
I've had a teddy block a doorway in a family's home once on my old computer which I no longer use and I was able to get into a sim's inventory while eveybody was at work or school to move the teddy into the child's inventory as she was about to age up to teen soon anyways.
Mad Poster
#6167 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StrangeTownChick
I couldn't do that. That would just be too sad in real life.

In RL it would be sad.
But in RL people don't pee themselves because the teddy bear blocks the bathroom entrance, or freeze to death in the snow because the teddy bear blocks the front door
I just had enough of that nonsense, no matter how cute @simsample showed the toddlers to be - they are just as cute when they hug a big dog, but there is no way each toddler in my hood is getting one either.
Mad Poster
#6168 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 10:34 AM
^ Solution: Deco teddy bears (got plenty of those, and they don't get stuck everywhere)

The toddlers got plenty to play with. The toy box, for instance. There you can actually ask a sim to clean up the toys if they start getting annoying.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6169 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 11:44 AM
But in RL people don't pee themselves because the teddy bear blocks the bathroom entrance, or freeze to death in the snow because the teddy bear blocks the front door

This is why I play the sims!
Field Researcher
#6170 Old 27th Jan 2022 at 10:45 PM
I had a dog taken away to the pound because he was starving. It wasn't until I reloaded that I figured out why he hadn't eaten from his full dish - the little girl had flown her kite in the morning before school, then put it down on a tile that blocked the dog's exit from his pile-of-leaves outdoor napping spot. The dog couldn't walk off his pile of leaves in any other direction and he couldn't step over the kite, which was visibly at a fair distance from the edge of the dog bed - it was such an illogical situation that it took me ages to figure out what was wrong.
Mad Poster
#6171 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 1:30 AM
I was finally able to get a new graphics card and play Sims again, and It's so awesome. But the game decided to welcome me back by giving me another duplicate of all my jewelry, so now every item shows up 3 times. No idea how I got the first duplicate, and no idea how it's now triple, but guess I got another thing to troubleshoot at some point in future when my brain works xD

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
#6172 Old 26th Feb 2022 at 2:15 AM
Raising up twins is freaking tough. My Vidcund had twins and I had to control this family . The parents are dead tired and starved but twins cry so much and house's messy.
So my mouse is near dead clicking too much. My tendon was tensed for real.

Hi. I'm Caren but you can also call me Beau. I luv sims since I was born.
I GOT A YOUTUBE(Eng sub provided) : YOUTUBE
You can find my ts2&ts4 pre-mades' stories here: Blog(korean)
Not very active on the tumblr now but: Tumblr
I can be found at Discord channels dedicated to ts2.
Scholar
#6173 Old 5th Mar 2022 at 6:34 PM
Nannies, visitors and whoever else who feel like they have the right to steal our money trees! Now I remember why I never used them in the first place.
Mad Poster
#6174 Old 5th Mar 2022 at 9:09 PM
It's having to do a ton of work to update once custom item in my game to avoid trouble.I have to remove old buyable soap displays from every lot in every town in the game folder before installing the updated version.
Field Researcher
#6175 Old 10th Mar 2022 at 2:58 PM
The fact that you can spend sim-days upon sim-days to teach dogs that they have to pee outside (especially the less "Genious" ones or the ones that are more on the "Piggy" side!) and they end up peeing outside the damn front door
I mean, technically, it is outside but... but...

That's the dog the Ramirez family have in Bluewater Village. He can spend almost his whole day running around the back yard (he is Hyper!) but he thinks his... toilette is outside the front door and the only thing I can do about it is... hire a maid just to mop the dog's pee once a day
Screenshots
Page 247 of 274