Replies: 28229 (Who?), Viewed: 791563 times.
Page 1130 of 1130
Inventor
#28226 Old Today at 8:33 AM
What happens if I put elder gray colors in the custom bin? Will my sims be able to age up with the same hair mesh they have or will I have to edit them to use the elder hair via mirror? Reason why I'm asking is that I'm considering using multiple hair colors but just 1 gray color for all of them.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#28227 Old Today at 12:27 PM
^ The gray needs to have the same "Family" number as the hair colors you want to turn into that particular gray. Don't put more than one of each of the binned colors in the same family, as there's a small chance they'll end up "fighting" each other, especially if an age is missing or you age down sims from elder ingame/in CAS/Bodyshop - I've had a few sims that grew up with the wrong hair color because of this (the game chose the wrong blond/brown/etc. because some hairs were familied together).

You can have a separate gray in the custom bin that works for either all ages or just elder. Cat's hair binner allows for this. Nice if you want an option with colored hair for elders (you'll have to apply the gray hairs in a mirror, custom bin) or want separate files for elders but familied to the binned hairs (will self-apply but if you want a different grey color you'll have to use a mirror).
Inventor
#28228 Old Today at 8:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
^ The gray needs to have the same "Family" number as the hair colors you want to turn into that particular gray. Don't put more than one of each of the binned colors in the same family, as there's a small chance they'll end up "fighting" each other, especially if an age is missing or you age down sims from elder ingame/in CAS/Bodyshop - I've had a few sims that grew up with the wrong hair color because of this (the game chose the wrong blond/brown/etc. because some hairs were familied together).

You can have a separate gray in the custom bin that works for either all ages or just elder. Cat's hair binner allows for this. Nice if you want an option with colored hair for elders (you'll have to apply the gray hairs in a mirror, custom bin) or want separate files for elders but familied to the binned hairs (will self-apply but if you want a different grey color you'll have to use a mirror).

Thanks @simmer22 , I haven't touched the hair binner in almost 2 years so I forgot how to use it properly. So I can bin the regular black/brown/blond/red hair colors as normal, but leave the single gray hair color as custom, correct? The thought of elders having the choice of either red hair or gray hair upon aging up doesn't sound too bad now that I think about it. I could create more gray colors, however.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Mad Poster
#28229 Old Today at 8:23 PM
@Primavera, that's how it is, yes.

Just a reminder, though - if you want elders to have colored hair (they'll be "binned" as their respective colors, so aging down will get you the proper color, but all of them show up in the grey bin), you also need to make sure the elder hair is colored in the files. If the elder age is colored gray it will be gray.

You can use custom grays or you can family-bin them with different hair families (I tend to use 4 different grays with 4 hair families to get some variation).
Inventor
#28230 Old Today at 8:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
@Primavera, that's how it is, yes.

Just a reminder, though - if you want elders to have colored hair (they'll be "binned" as their respective colors, so aging down will get you the proper color, but all of them show up in the grey bin), you also need to make sure the elder hair is colored in the files. If the elder age is colored gray it will be gray.

You can use custom grays or you can family-bin them with different hair families (I tend to use 4 different grays with 4 hair families to get some variation).

That makes sense, thank you again . I'm very indecisive when it comes to hair colors so I'll do the 2nd option; have 4 grays for each family so I have options, that way it'll be easier to keep track of.

what_makes_you_haha.mp3
SFS uploads
Page 1130 of 1130