Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 2:04 AM
Default Native simming, part 2: That buckskin is SO last century...
Now that the haircut issue is locked down, it's time to tackle clothing. While pre-contact peoples in the Americas did in fact make their clothes from animal skins, the16th, 17th and 18th Centuries saw the influx of European cloth, to wit: wool and linen. The "trade shirt" became a standard item of sale by the Dutch, French and English traders - basically the standard European men's shirt: short collar, long sleeves, usually knee-length to serve as a one-piece undergarment. Mostly, these were just white or natural flax color, although some patterns existed, and even block-printed material started appearing as you got closer to 1800. Amongst the Natives this shirt was worn with leggings (of varying length depending on the climate), a loincloth (breechclout) for the men, and skirts for the women. The problem I have is not the finding these garments or proxies thereof, but the WEARING of them by my sims. Since nobody is going to have made the exact outfits I'm looking for, I have to go with mix-and-match: separate tops and bottoms, which are difficult to find. Heget's charmingly massive 18th Century collection has the right shirts, but none of them are separates that can be worn with something underneath. Heget's 18th C. on Tumblr

So, here's the basic look I'm going for:

For the men: the knee-length, long-sleeve shirt, with something that could pass for leggings underneath. Ideally separated, but if the overall impression works, a full-body outfit is fine.

For the women, the exact same shirt, only with a skirt. Untucked is obviously the key here. Skirts and breechcloths tended to be made out of wool in this period: red, blue or black; leggings were either the same, or leather.
As shoes are for some reason inextricably attached to pants in the Sim world, I realize that I'm not going to find moccasins, unless someone has made them as an accessory, and possibly that's the answer for the leggings as well. Additionally, you'll see the neck knives being worn by the men - I highly doubt those exist anywhere in Sim form, but... you just never know.

For outerwear, the most common thing was the wool blanket, used in the same manner as the Scottish plaid.

Also used were coats made from the same sort of wool material, with the large 18th-century "pirate coat" cuffs, and hoods. These were known as capotes... a "duffel coat" might be the modern-day equivalent. And then, there might also be bear and buffalo hides, worn fur side in, as cloaks.

So, if you've seen anything that would be of service to my quest, please hook me up. I've searched for this stuff for some time, but admittedly there are corners of the Sim-verse that are yet unknown to me. Wado, Nawa, Thanks.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 7:43 AM
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 3:50 AM
Nice! I'd forgot about looking at Almighty Hat... thanks for that. And although I've seen stuff from Parsimonious, I don't think I've ever actually been to the site just to browse. Thanks again; you've been helping me out a lot lately.