Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 6:16 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How do I figure out the MESH FILE NAME for a custom accessory I downloaded for the Sims 2 with just the file for the texture?
I hope this question makes sense but, how do I figure out the MESH FILE NAME for a custom accessory I downloaded for the Sims 2 with just the file for the texture?

here's what I'm trying to do:

I downloaded a custom accessory mod for the sims 2 YEARS ago & back then I didnt keep stuff in my downloads folder organized, so now i'm trying to figure out what the file name for the accessory is. I am able to load it up & body shop & recolor it, but I don't know the mesh file name.

how do I find that? is there a certain space under SimPE that will list it or something? or a way i could get it to show up in bodyshop?

please help ♥
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 6:36 AM
Why not just search for the file you do have? That should turn up the download and probably the description will tell you where to get the mesh from.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Prime
I hope this question makes sense but, how do I figure out the MESH FILE NAME for a custom accessory I downloaded for the Sims 2 with just the file for the texture?

here's what I'm trying to do:

I downloaded a custom accessory mod for the sims 2 YEARS ago & back then I didnt keep stuff in my downloads folder organized, so now i'm trying to figure out what the file name for the accessory is. I am able to load it up & body shop & recolor it, but I don't know the mesh file name.

how do I find that? is there a certain space under SimPE that will list it or something? or a way i could get it to show up in bodyshop?

please help ♥

I've found that determining the mesh files used is one area of TS2 which could use someone with expertise to develop a stable application.

It can be done.... But I've only found one program - Sims Explorer from Simmergirl - which can scan your files and display the mesh used for a CC object whether it is clothes, accessories, etc. But you have to have the mesh. If you don't have the mesh, then it will simply say "unknown mesh" for any CC items that use it. And unfortunately, the Simmergirl site is long gone and people have varying degrees of success/failure getting the Sims Explorer program (still available to download) to work. For me, it works but will frequently lock up. Others can't get it to work at all.

Other than perhaps packaging a Sim with that accessory, then exporting that Sim as a Sims2Pack and looking in the Sims2Pack to see what meshes are included, I can't think of another way to identify what mesh a CC object uses.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2023 at 5:16 PM
Unfortunately, accessory meshes usually won't package alongside sims (it's really annoying!). Hair and clothing meshes do.

In SimPE you can compare the Instance numbers for the CRES/SHPE in the mesh to the Resource and CRES lines in the 3DIR. If they match, it's the correct mesh.

I've got a couple pics that show how to find a mesh/recolor set for a hair, but you can check it the exactly same way for an accessory file (the PropertySet is called MeshOverlay in an accessory file, and accessories have 2 sets of Resource/CRES in the 3DIR instead of one set - you only need to check the first two lines and ignore the second set).

https://i.postimg.cc/RCgXXXng/Insta...ot-New-171a.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/RVqG8K74/Insta...ot-New-169a.jpg
(last number in the 3DIRs, and first number in the regular Instance for the mesh, not the number in the parenthesis or the "instance high". Colored arrows show the matches).

(Make sure you check the proper age/gender up against each other in both files if there are several. You can also check clothes this way, and other CAS items that have custom mesh files).