Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 5:10 AM Last edited by Vågen : 15th Aug 2018 at 2:51 AM.
Default Tom Cruise (Lestat from Interview with the Vampire)
I'm currently creating Lestat from Interview with the Vampire, basing it on Tom Cruise's version of the character. I would love to get some feedback on how I can improve him.

And here he is with his hair pulled back, so the sculpt is easier to see.

I've found it quite hard to find good reference pictures of Lestat that are well lit, at good angle etc. which is why I've gone back and forth between the ones I did find and pictures of Tom Cruise (as himself).

(I made his skin a little darker and changed the lipstick in the above pictures to better match the reference photos.)

Please let me know what changes I should make.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th Jul 2018 at 10:47 PM
You have a good start there. Do you use custom sliders? If so, I'd recommend some of the ones that OneEuroMutt created. There are several that would be helpful to give your sim a crooked nose, etc.

I would raise the face up (the whole thing, but the eyes and nose particularly). Reduce the scale of the eyes. Narrow the nose. Reduce the definition on the nostrils a tiny bit. Reduce the fullness of the cheeks and increase the jowls a little and maybe give him some smile lines. Widen the jaw a tiny bit. I know that sounds like a lot, but really you do have a good base. These are all just 'refinements'.

Personally... I would make him an adult instead of YA, but then that is probably personal bias. idk

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 8:17 AM
He is looking really good. I agree that the nose is a bit too wide, especially the bridge. Also, I would turn the outer edges of the eyes down a bit to look a bit more like Tom. And darken the hair some to match closer. Well done! This is much better than I could ever do.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 9:44 PM
The issue isn't that you're far off the mark with his facial features, because you seem to match them pretty closely, but the issue is that the Sim doesn't look like Tom Cruise at all, really. I would never be able to tell that it's supposed to be Tom Cruise. You gave him a very soft, boyish skin texture and that makes him look very friendly. Tom Cruise has a fairly stern, masculine face that's fairly well suited to caricature. I think he'll look more recognizeable if you emphasize the ears less, and draw more attention to his eyebrows and jawline.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Aug 2018 at 2:49 AM
Sorry I haven’t updated, I’ve been away on vacation.

@k2m1too, yes, I do use custom sliders, I can’t stand the game without them (in fact, I’ve already used a ton on Tom). OneEuroMutt had some very useful nosesliders to recreate Tom’s uneven nose that I didn’t have in my game yet. Thanks! I’ve fixed the points you brought up (I hope i got them all). You’re probably right that he should be an adult, I’m most likely going to change that in the future.

@daisylee, thank you for your feedback . I’ve narrowed the nose and turned the outer edges of the eyes down, as well as some other small tweaks on the eyes.

@GrijzePilion, you’re absolutely right about the skin tone. As I made him I picked a skin I thought would fit fairly well on Lestat, and just made it a bit darker for Tom, but I agree that it’s not Tom at all and I’ve changed it. I think the new one is an improvement, but I’m not sure it’s perfect. Anyone has any suggestions?

Thank you all so much for your feedback, it is much appreciated .

Here is the new version of Tom:

Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Aug 2018 at 2:34 PM
Yeah, hell, that's a lot better. I'm definitely starting to see Tom here. Maybe add a little beard stubble?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#7 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 1:53 AM
Great job! I think the jaw - maybe the whole head - needs to be narrower and the jaw raised up a bit. Eye shape is good but the eyes need to be a little larger in scale or wider and/or a bit closer together. Nose tip maybe a tiny bit wider too. You've done very well matching the shapes of his features. I think the proportions still need a little tweaking. That hairstyle is perfect and the hair color looks exact to me. Looking forward to an update!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 10:26 AM
Much better. Can you reshape the upper lip a bit more to look more like Tom? And make the nose a little more Roman looking? He is looking darn good. Much better than I could do. Almost there. Upturn nostrils just a bit more?
Instructor
#9 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 9:47 PM
He's getting there! Now, if you are going for Tom-As-Le Stat, you don't want to age him too much as he was much younger in that role. But if you are going for straight-up Tom, then you will definitely want to "rough up" his face a bit - some age lines, some stubble, etc. Also, make the nose a bit narrower and lower it towards his mouth a bit.

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2018 at 2:43 PM
I've made the changes suggested; narrowed head and jaw and raised the jaw (though I think it still has to be raised a little bit more), reshaped the lips and nose (which I see now should probably be more narrow than I already made it), increased eye size slightly an moved them closer together, and gave him some stubble . I've decided to make him "straight-up-Tom", but I'm still deciding whether to make him a young adult or adult, I'm leaning towards adult. If so, I'll probably give him som age lines in the next update.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Sep 2018 at 3:47 PM
Yeah that's him, looking good!

insert signature here
Instructor
#12 Old 2nd Sep 2018 at 4:27 PM
I'd like to see how he looks as an adult. (If it were me, that's what I'd make him.)

Duh and/or Hello!
(simblr)
Scholar
#13 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 4:07 AM
Much closer! Great job! I'd suggest making the eyes a little closer together, if possible. Maybe raise the jaw a bit more and round the chin, if you can. The nose is less triangular at the top in the reference photos. In other words, more like this | |. From the side the nose needs to be raised up / shortened a bit so there is more space between nose and upper lip. Nose shape is great. Can you pull the eyes forward any? If so, it would help from the side but they look good from the front. Is there eyeliner on the custom eyes you are using? It kind of looks like it to me. If not, can you lighten the eyelash color a little? Upper lip a bit less defined and mouth/bottom lip narrower - the rounded part of the bottom lip U. Those eyebrows and stubble are spot on!
Test Subject
#14 Old 12th Aug 2022 at 10:14 PM
Hey, I know I am kinda late to te party but your sim version of Tom Cruise is fantastic! Is there any chance that you could put him up to download? I really would like to integrate him into my game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Sep 2022 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jierria
Hey, I know I am kinda late to te party but your sim version of Tom Cruise is fantastic! Is there any chance that you could put him up to download? I really would like to integrate him into my game.

Thank you :lovestruc
Gosh, I didn't realize it's been over 4 years since I posted this. The plan has always been to put him up for download eventually, but there are still a few tweaks I'd like to make before that and unfortunately he's been put on hold indefinitely while I've been focusing on other projects. Now that I've gotten my eyes up for this project again, maybe I'll get him done soon. I can't make any promises though
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Sep 2022 at 10:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vågen
Thank you :lovestruc
Gosh, I didn't realize it's been over 4 years since I posted this. The plan has always been to put him up for download eventually, but there are still a few tweaks I'd like to make before that and unfortunately he's been put on hold indefinitely while I've been focusing on other projects. Now that I've gotten my eyes up for this project again, maybe I'll get him done soon. I can't make any promises though

Actually your work is great! I hope you'll get him done!

Welcome to Sim-Tropico!

More about Sim-Tropico:

Sim-Tropico_blog
Sim-Tropico_tumblr

Happy simming!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Sep 2022 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MrFatCat
Actually your work is great! I hope you'll get him done!

Thanks! Seeing him again, I became really inspired to get him done. The final tweaks are finished and I’m just putting together the screenshots and cc-links finally to upload him