Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2022 at 7:24 PM
Default Testers wanted: Mining (and Crafting) Skills
Hey, everyone!

So I had this idea to convert a bit of the Blacksmith gameplay from TSM to TS3 and it … kinda got out of control before I even got to any of the smithing objects. My original plan was just to convert the Blacksmith forge and make it function like the gem cutter machine thingy from Supernatural but then I thought “Hey, wouldn't it be fun to MINE the gems before forging them?” and suddenly I was working on a whole new skill.

Right now, I'm almost done with the mining part and haven't really started on the crafting/smithing part yet. Originally, I planned to release these skills as a set of two, but since the Mining skill already turned out to be a lot more complex than my other mods, I'll probably release them separately after all (also Mining requires World Adventures while Crafting most likely will not).

Anyway, since skills in TS3 can be tricky, I'm hoping to get some feedback on the Mining skill before I upload it on MTS. It's not completely finished yet but the basic functions should hopefully work fine. I'm mostly trying to find out if there are any bugs, script errors, missing strings or problems with the skill journal. Also, if you have any feedback/suggestions on the more general gameplay aspects (like raising the skill being too easy or difficult), please let me know as well.

Note: If you'd like to test this mod, I strongly suggest that you either use a throwaway neighborhood or back up the world you're using before putting it in your game. I did include an Uninstall option that you should select before removing the mod, since it will spawn new objects into your world that will turn into weird statues once you remove it. Uninstalling will delete any mining-related objects and purge the skill from all your sims in town.

Possible issues:
  • I haven't implemented all of the skill rewards yet, so it's possible that the notification will say “your sim can do X now” even though they can't yet.
  • For some weird reason, the game does not notify you when your sim fulfills a lifetime opportunity (even though they are displayed correctly in the skill journal). I'm not sure why that is and/or if you actually have to code these notifications manually.
  • Since new mining spots spawn slightly below ground, their shadows will often look a bit off

Please note that you will need World Adventures for the Mining skill to work properly!

Attached files:
File Type: zip  spherefish_MiningBeta.zip (3.72 MB, 51 downloads)
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 27th Sep 2022 at 2:29 AM
That's such a great idea, it's going to bring some fresh gameplay into our favorite game. Grabbing a file, hope to give some feedback soon. Thanks for your time creating this amazing mod, spherefish!
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
#3 Old 27th Sep 2022 at 11:58 PM
Wow this is really cool! I will have to try this out too
Test Subject
#4 Old 18th Oct 2022 at 6:15 AM
This is really cool. I haven't had a chance to properly test it out yet but I wanted to pop in and say this is awesome. Looking forward to seeing where this goes from here and the crafting that is to come.
I really like how the stuff you mine up count towards your collection stats. Also paired with the transmogrifier mod and you can set other objects to being mineable (sadly the rocks in the landscaping section cannot have scripts added to them)
As there weren't many mining spots in the game only the couple I placed to test the skill it made me wonder if there could be a RH mine where you can just send them to mine for x time similar to say fishing where you can say fish and drag the action to switch between indefinitely, catch 5 fish, fish until fishing skill improves.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Oct 2022 at 12:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bietjie
This is really cool. I haven't had a chance to properly test it out yet but I wanted to pop in and say this is awesome. Looking forward to seeing where this goes from here and the crafting that is to come.
I really like how the stuff you mine up count towards your collection stats. Also paired with the transmogrifier mod and you can set other objects to being mineable (sadly the rocks in the landscaping section cannot have scripts added to them)
As there weren't many mining spots in the game only the couple I placed to test the skill it made me wonder if there could be a RH mine where you can just send them to mine for x time similar to say fishing where you can say fish and drag the action to switch between indefinitely, catch 5 fish, fish until fishing skill improves.

Thank you for trying out this mod! I really like the idea of sims being able to mine for X amount of hours like with the fishing skill, maybe not necessarily in a rabbit hole but on infinite mining spots – I'll just have to see if I'm able to implement it lol.

As for there not being many mining spots in your town, it usually takes a while for them to spawn naturally, that's why I added the cheat interaction to spawn a bunch of them at once. (Though if you have a mod that disables dog digsites and wild flowers from spawning in your world, mining spots will not spawn, either … I'll probably have to add a tunable setting that lets people replace some other spawnable object in this case.)
Test Subject
#6 Old 24th Feb 2024 at 2:34 PM
any update on the mod?
Test Subject
#7 Old 25th Feb 2024 at 1:10 AM Last edited by NanaBx3 : 1st Mar 2024 at 10:09 PM.
I just bumped into this post today and installed the Beta file to check it out in my Miner's Cove game. After my first mine spot spawned, and my Sim got 'Picked Head,' I'm pretty much hooked

Looking forward to playing more over the weekend.

As of 02/26 everything is working out great with the Mining skill. I'm playing a lone sim on a tiny island so it's been easy for me to keep track of everything (including spawning). She's currently halfway between levels 4 and 5.
I'm really enjoying seeing how your mod progresses level to level, the differences between the mines, etc. (not adding any spoilers). I purchased 3 mines for testing on my home lot, and all is well there also. Happy to see that I could drag them into the family inventory in the event she moves.

I found the skill gain rate to be neither too fast, nor too slow. However, if it were to be tunable, I'd likely slow it down a little more because so many things come too fast and easy in this game.
I have a human lifespan of 210 days and using NRaas Relativity I've set to True 'Apply Life Span Skill Factor.' This setting will possibly do away with wanting a tunable to slow down skill gain.
I've not noticed anything out of sorts with missing strings, etc.

I'm going to keep play testing in the same world with the same sim at least until she reaches level 10.
This mining is making me feel all nostalgic for TSM (*cries* and shakes fist at Windows 10).