Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 9:53 AM
Default GCSEs
Dear dear, well I'm in year 9, and it was launched on me that I have a controlled assessment on"of mice and men" at the end of this term a few weeks ago. Alas.

Has anyone else had this situation before?

Just Call me Square!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 7:55 PM
You poor, poor thing.... My brother's in year 10 so I know the joys that await for you. I was lucky, I was in the last year to escape the changes, I was also lucky enough not to get stuck with that particular book for English. Instead I got 'Lord of the Flies', I'd rather learn about the Great Depression in History lessons rather than English ones, which I did. Some of my friends were unfortunate enough to have to study 'Of Mice and Men', this picture springs to mind on their behalf:
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 9:58 PM
Well, I swear if someone mutters the words “Curley's Wife” in my prescense again.... Grr.
And it's so racist! The amount of times n*gg*r is said, oh my days. And the look my English teacher gave me when she overheard me listening to that word in Paris by Kanye West and Jay Z... (Not that I'm into hardcore hiphop, that song is too catchy!)
That beside, if I didn't have to do this dreadful essay, I'd've probably had enjoyed it, wish me luck for tomorrow, the first hour ensues...

Just Call me Square!
Scholar
#4 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 10:10 PM

Have fun
I'm now waiting on my A-Level results, so atleast you've still got the time to put the effort in, like I probably should have. I drew a llama in one of my maths exams for the answer with the most marks, and then in my English Lit. exam I gave Shakespeare the thrashing he so clearly deserves...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 6:51 AM
A llama? You have to explain...
And where do you get all those LOL-whatevers from?
Or do you just make them?

Just Call me Square!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 11:44 AM
I have finished my exams for now unless I have to retake any of them at college as I am or was in year 11.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Scholar
#7 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 7:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by squaretable
A llama? You have to explain...
And where do you get all those LOL-whatevers from?
Or do you just make them?

The Llama was because food told me too...

Then as far as the funny pictures are concerned, I'm going to have to share with you a little secret:
Tickld
I then googled the ones I wanted to use, in order to get the image URL using 'View Original Image' and the copied and pasted the URL for the 'Insert Image' button back over here on MTS.
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
I have finished my exams for now unless I have to retake any of them at college as I am or was in year 11.

Isn't the sense of freedom great
You can lounge around at home all day while others go out to school and work. You don't have to worry about revising or homework, but the thought of what results you are going to get can linger briefly in your mind from time to time.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 10:19 PM
Yeah, I've got TWO YEARS of my stuck up, formerly underperforming "Good" Comprehensive to contend with, with it's antics and stuff. Then I have 6th Form! Yeah, never seen those llama things. Tbh, I don't go to the supermarché that much (pardon my French) well in two years, I'll be having the house to myself, never thought of that! Order some domino's pizza or papa Johns. Yum.

Just Call me Square!
Scholar
#9 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 10:06 AM
I really enjoyed Secondary school, but after my year left it became an academy and has gone down hill considerably since then. My brother is still there, but I can't bare to listen to what it has become. Luckily Sixth Form has been a lot of fun, it's far bigger than the small rural schools I was used to. But being positioned right in the town centre of Colchester, we had the freedom to go off into town whenever we liked. Unlike in Secondary school, you can actually bunk lessons, it's not necessarily a good idea, but if you're having a bad day or craving cake and sweets, it's nice to have the option.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 6:56 PM
Oh, I didn't know you came from Colchester! Haha! And yeah, last year my school became an academy, and well, I'm not 100% behind the way its going. My School is like 3 miles from Epsom and 6 miles-ish from Croydon.
In my school bunking is frequent, if the toilets and my lockers count, that is. The closest I've come to that is purposely going to lessons late, because I'd rather be in class than isolated.

Just Call me Square!
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergie_F

Isn't the sense of freedom great
You can lounge around at home all day while others go out to school and work. You don't have to worry about revising or homework, but the thought of what results you are going to get can linger briefly in your mind from time to time.

I have to go to allot to college visits so I can get used to it but....it's so boring. Looking at the same old wall in there but apart from that and the fact I am not sure what to do most of the time it's great.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 11:16 AM
@Artimis Aha! But I thought College was better than high school? What course are you taking.

Just Call me Square!
Scholar
#13 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 4:49 PM Last edited by Fergie_F : 20th Jul 2013 at 8:05 PM.
@Artimis Aha! But I thought College was better than high school? What course are you taking.

It's really a matter of personality and personal preference. Some people prefer college because you're more independent, but then that can be quite a burden as you have to do more stuff for yourself rather tham relying on teachers like you do in Secondary School. But then College can be quite dawnting at first, especially if you don't know anybody. You then have to find where all your rooms/subjects are, which is difficult in a bigger college. But then you had that same issue when you first started Secondary School.
Picking which College you want to go to can be difficult, some choose the one that all their friends are going to, while others like to go for the poshest one they can get into. Me personally, I had a choice between a really old place and a place that was only opened the year before and so was really modern. My personally preference was for the older place, I chose at the expense of my then girlfriend. She went to the modern place, I went to the older place. But with a beautiful old building and a great group of friends both new and old, I'm not really complaining.

Another bonus with College is that you can choose which courses you want to do. There was no way I was doing anymore P.E. So instead, the subjects I chose were Art, English Lit., Modern History, and Use of Maths. I did take ICT, but it only gets more difficult and complicated after Secondary school. I advise against it unless you want to pursue a career in that area. You get a better variety of courses at College too. Unlike school you also get free periods, which the wise use for studying, while people like me use the time to mess about with friends and spend money... Seriously, it helps if you have a well paid job, you can go broke very quickly.
Screenshots
Scholar
#14 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 4:59 PM
I'm now in year 11 and I got an a in my OMOM controlled assessment
For those of you who haven't started yet
GEORGE SHOOTS LENNIE
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 10th Jul 2013 at 5:04 PM

That depends on whether or not your original you wanted to be a sixth former and stay at school for longer for that is what I wanted to do. My head of sixth form told me that college was more likely for me now after one grade I got from my exam was an E and before she told me that I could get in so yeah I hate her at times.

I am unsure of what course but I have been offered a place on two course BTEC ICT level 3 and BTEC art diploma level 2. I wish that they did the course that the school offered creative media which I am good at but the reason that I cannot take the course even if I get the place they cancelled it due to not many people going for it, Damn!

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Jul 2013 at 6:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheCantankerousUnicorn
GEORGE SHOOTS LENNIE

Nah! Really?

Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
That depends on whether or not your original you wanted to be a sixth former and stay at school for longer for that is what I wanted to do. My head of sixth form told me that college was more likely for me now after one grade I got from my exam was an E and before she told me that I could get in so yeah I hate her at times.

I am unsure of what course but I have been offered a place on two course BTEC ICT level 3 and BTEC art diploma level 2. I wish that they did the course that the school offered creative media which I am good at but the reason that I cannot take the course even if I get the place they cancelled it due to not many people going for it, Damn!

Haha! I know the feeling, I despise my head of year, even though really, I have little reason to do so.
Oh right, they can cancel courses at Alevel/college? Didn't know that...

Quote: Originally posted by Fergie_F
while people like me use the time to mess about with friends and spend money... Seriously, it helps if you have a well paid job, you can go broke very quickly.
what do you spend your money on?
And yeah, there's some subjects I wish I could drop *cough*PE*cough*citizenship*cough*

Just Call me Square!
Scholar
#17 Old 11th Jul 2013 at 10:59 AM
what do you spend your money on?
And yeah, there's some subjects I wish I could drop *cough*PE*cough*citizenship*cough*

Cookies, Cake, Icecream, Bus fares, Books and Paper - That's also the priority in which my money is spent on them.
Ah PE, oh how i loathed thee. Citizenship was kind of fun in Secondary school. The teacher couldn't control our class, so we did pretty much whatever we wanted, we drove him to have a nervous breakdown during one lesson and we never saw him again. Afterwards the head teacher took over teaching our class. Despite her cold, cruel reputation she was a great person/teacher, she would make jokes and let us have fun during the lessons without taking them very seriously. It was totally not what we expected from her.
But anyway, at college both those subjects are optional, although at my college it seemed as if PE was replaced with staircases. My form room was on up in the attic, so I had 4 or 5 flights of stairs to climb, and then there's having to walk to different parts of the college for different lessons, and then down the hill to the bus station to catch the bus home.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 19th Jul 2013 at 3:09 PM
Ok, well my ASSESMENT (don't know the difference really) ha only got one hour left, to write my conclusion (thank god I get extra time)

Just Call me Square!